Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and MyQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1 big advantage is that you can tell if your garage door is open or closed from anywhere. (Ie - you are at the store and don’t remember if you closed the garage door)

Of course, if you have the myQ app, you can open the app and know the same thing. The app is free.

So I guess you can ditch the opener for a fee. My Tesla model 3 came with the home link built in, RIP
I have the app and get an alert if they remain open. Not seeing the value in the Tesla integration.

Funny watching guys who just paid $60K or more for a car cry about $3/month. Same guys will spend $1K/year on a new iPhone. Go mow a lawn. If you don’t want to spend the money then don’t and move on. This is a convenience purchase, which is never about the financial payback.
That is funny! I will pay the $3 so I don't have to lift my arm anymore. Thanks for setting me straight.

I haven’t gotten the holiday 2022 update yet….. but using the app to close it is annoying because (as a safety feature) it beeps for a few seconds before closing since there’s no guarantee that there’s line of sight when you close via the app.

Also, when using my phone close to the driveway, it’s near the edge of my house Wi-Fi coverage so it’s slow to connect. Sometimes, I disconnect the Wi-Fi on my phone and force cellular data. Again, this takes more time , which is infuriating when I’m in a rush to leave or get inside the house.

I agree the homelink since it does not know the state of the door is stupid.

We stopped using the auto open/close with home in both of our teslas because it gets confused if one car is leaving while the other car driving in.

Has anyone tried this with myq to see if multiple teslas on the same account syncs to ensure the door does not close while the other one trying to leave or drive in? “ assume the garage sensor did not trip yet.

I agree the homelink since it does not know the state of the door is stupid.

We stopped using the auto open/close with home in both of our teslas because it gets confused if one car is leaving while the other car driving in.

Has anyone tried this with myq to see if multiple teslas on the same account syncs to ensure the door does not close while the other one trying to leave or drive in? “ assume the garage sensor did not trip yet.
No on the trying it yet, but this should not be a problem as the sensor knows the state of the door and will not redo the open command if the door is already opened and vice versa. It is not a toggle back and forth system. Open is open and closed is closed which can only be executed when the door is in the opposite position.

What Tesla really needs to implement when they add back park assist with the vision only system, is to unfold the mirrors again once you clear the garage. I love the auto fold mirrors as you pull into the driveway as my garage is so tight, however on the way out, I have to manually unfold them to have proper use of the mirrors while backing out the rest of the driveway. Since the rear view mirror is so useless, that is just a bit of a hassle. Starting to simply use the backup camera, which maybe I will ultimately just become super comfortable with. Right now I just rally miss the USS functions when pulling in. To be honest, the Model Y should have come with an electronic rear view mirror. You can get these things for $130 now and it would have probably cost tesla $50 a car or less to include.

Reactions: HTTP401
Why is this not clear? The system knows the garage is already opened from the sensor on the garage door. It knows it, not guesses it. If you send an open command, manually or automatically to the garage door and it is already opened, it does nothing.

There are still some issues though as guys in another thread are saying that the automatic close is not working through the Tesla integration currently. I am going to wait once I actually get the holiday update until they are reporting that bug is fixed before I activate the 7 day free trial to test out fully.

We have a Vivint Alarm system with the MyQ already part of the system for the doors and this integration is a game changer for us. My wife and I both love it and has worked flawlessly the past week. Just don't love the subscription price which is super lame. Our manual opener for whatever reason royally sucks and you have to be right next to the door pushing the button for it to open.

I don't think MyQ does that since it's aware of the state of the door.
It is the signal that Tesla sends after all, which is just dumb trigger signal just like from the garage clicker. I am not 100% sure if MyQ sends dedicated signal for open and close, but my MyQ App doesn't have that kind of dedicated button. It is just one button on the screen that opens and closes the garage door.

It is the signal that Tesla sends after all, which is just dumb trigger signal just like from the garage clicker. I am not 100% sure if MyQ sends dedicated signal for open and close, but my MyQ App doesn't have that kind of dedicated button. It is just one button on the screen that opens and closes the garage door.
Just curious if you can add it to an app that uses Geofencing like the Google home, IFTTT app, if so, it would do the exact same thing Tesla does for free.

Last edited: