Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and MyQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much every day when I pull out of the garage, it will show a "close" button for a few seconds, then go away (maybe due to switching from Wifi to LTE?), and /or the app will show an error for about 10 seconds. If there is no error, and I press the garage door drop down (with no button showing). The opener will blink then close the door like I was using the phone app. If I wait a few seconds instead, the "close" button comes back, I can press it, and the door closes immediately. I have just learned to wait 5-10 seconds after I pull out for the button to show again.
I‘ve seen similar behavior lately - specifically the error for a few seconds, and then the beeping/flashing when it closes. I just switched my Wi-Fi to remain connected in Drive mode (after confirming the WiFi reaches to just outside the garage), so I’m going to try that to see if it helps with the error message and subsequent beeping/flashing.

It is definitely a possibility that car switching from Wi-Fi to LTE is screwing with the MyQ integration
I actually used to have this problem all the time on my phone... It got to the point, that I normally had to make sure I turned off wifi before trying to use the MyQ app from the garage, becuase frequently a timed-out operation would cause the whole thing to go non-responsive as the state would get messed up when it finally switched to/from WiFi/LTE.

No on the trying it yet, but this should not be a problem as the sensor knows the state of the door and will not redo the open command if the door is already opened and vice versa. It is not a toggle back and forth system. Open is open and closed is closed which can only be executed when the door is in the opposite position.

What Tesla really needs to implement when they add back park assist with the vision only system, is to unfold the mirrors again once you clear the garage. I love the auto fold mirrors as you pull into the driveway as my garage is so tight, however on the way out, I have to manually unfold them to have proper use of the mirrors while backing out the rest of the driveway. Since the rear view mirror is so useless, that is just a bit of a hassle. Starting to simply use the backup camera, which maybe I will ultimately just become super comfortable with. Right now I just rally miss the USS functions when pulling in. To be honest, the Model Y should have come with an electronic rear view mirror. You can get these things for $130 now and it would have probably cost tesla $50 a car or less to include.
There is a way to do this. I don’t recall exactly, but once the vehicle recognizes that it’s home it would unfold the mirrors after reversing into my garage. I’ve since lost the feature and nobody at Tesla has been helpful. But, for the first year with my MY when I would reverse in the mirrors would auto fold and after I would close the drivers door once in the garage they would fold out again. It was great. Since many updates ago it hadn’t done that.

I‘ve seen similar behavior lately - specifically the error for a few seconds, and then the beeping/flashing when it closes. I just switched my Wi-Fi to remain connected in Drive mode (after confirming the WiFi reaches to just outside the garage), so I’m going to try that to see if it helps with the error message and subsequent beeping/flashing.
Just to follow up - I hate to jinx it, but three days in a row this has been working for me. I have wifi now set to remain connected in Drive mode, so I pull the car just outside the garage, tap the "close" button, and the door immediately closes without any flashing/beeping drama. And I haven't seen the error message since then either. So based on some limited data here, it seems like (at least for me) the transition from wifi to LTE is potentially causing the earlier problem.

Also, I back into the garage in order to make charging convenient - so when I leave, I'm in Drive rather than Reverse. Not sure that makes a difference for the wifi "remain connected in Drive" setting, but I thought I'd at least mention it just in case...

Reactions: Sideman7
A couple of things I’ve noticed.

MyQ used to close the door the same way it closes when you use the mobile app, it would flash multiple times then lower the door (after several seconds).

They must have updated something on the back end because now when it initiates closing it just does it immediately, which is an improvement… works more like HomeLink in that regard.

I also noticed when getting into the car today that it showed connected briefly to MyQ with proper door state but then when Easy Entry activated on the car the account went into the error state where it goes red and says account problem.

I suspect that switching to Easy Entry is messing with the state temporarily. I turned it off and will update the thread if I either continue to see the periodic problem where it shows an account error or if the issue is resolved by disabling this feature.

Reactions: carlos31820
I got the Chamberlain with the camera and all the myQ stuff built in. The app works great. The issue is that I think the Tesla is not getting garage door state from myQ, but trying to remember it separately. So, if I open it with the car but somebody else closes it with a HomeLink remote, Tesla still thinks the door is open. (The myQ app would know it is closed.)
I had the same problem. The car doesn't know if the door is open or closed and sends a command when I drive away even though the door was closed. I had to turn off the app in the car.

I had the same problem. The car doesn't know if the door is open or closed and sends a command when I drive away even though the door was closed. I had to turn off the app in the car.
Since I originally posted, myQ works perfectly. Tesla is definitely getting state from the myQ API and not trying to infer it. And, in the occasional instances where it glitches (probably an API call failure when switching from WiFi to Cellular), it always closes as I get down the street. Overall, I rate it a 5-star win.

Since I originally posted, myQ works perfectly. Tesla is definitely getting state from the myQ API and not trying to infer it. And, in the occasional instances where it glitches (probably an API call failure when switching from WiFi to Cellular), it always closes as I get down the street. Overall, I rate it a 5-star win.
I used to share the same opinion as you. That all changed when my garage started to close while I was backing in. The MyQ api bypasses the infrared beam between the two sides of the garage door track, the API call had glitched out and my garage began to close on my car. It’s completely mangled my passenger side C-Pillar. The scratch was so bad that I won’t be able to repair it without extensive body work/metal fabrication.

Attachments

• IMG_8083.jpeg
    IMG_8083.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8080.jpeg
    IMG_8080.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8081.jpeg
    IMG_8081.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8077.jpeg
    IMG_8077.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Disagree
Reactions: samori01
I used to share the same opinion as you. That all changed when my garage started to close while I was backing in. The MyQ api bypasses the infrared beam between the two sides of the garage door track, the API call had glitched out and my garage began to close on my car. It’s completely mangled my passenger side C-Pillar. The scratch was so bad that I won’t be able to repair it without extensive body work/metal fabrication.
That is crazy that they can override the beam. It's not safe and must be a bug. Sucks that your car was damaged.

This would be awesome. I was contemplating upgrading my garage door opener to the latest Chamberlain with all this built in. I would never use auto open/close on the Tesla, because the car cannot know door state.... but with this, I would be all in for the total automation.
I already had a Chamberlain GDO. Works great on the Tesla. I use auto open and close without issue.

That really sucks…
That also happened to me. It seems that if you reverse course within a certain time it still closes. It did not override the infrared beam, but most beams are set low enough that the tires have to pass it to trigger the garage to stop or reverse course. I heard and saw it start closing and hit the accelerator and triggered the infrared beam with my back tires right before it hit my roof.
While I love the functionality of MyQ I am now very aware whenever I back out I stay out or cancel the signal before going back in (usually because one of my kids forgets something)

Last edited:
Reactions: ScoobyDoo82