TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla and Panasonic Collaborate to Develop Next-Generation Battery Cell Technology

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by dpeilow, Jan 7, 2010.

1. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Now that's a nice business move by Tesla Motors. It assures that Tesla will always have the best battery technology available and it puts Tesla in a position to be able to deliver a potentail 500 mile range battery pack.

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#4 malcolm, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    Compatible with other cells? So it seems likely they will stick with the 18650 format for a while at least.

Although this seems to contradict the EV-specific aim, it might be relatively easy to take an existing standard cell design and produce an EV variant over the next few years (in time for Bluestar?).

I hope they can use a cell shape which stacks/packs more efficiently but which has added, built-in channels/tubes for coolant. Maybe the channels through the cell could be open holes and the cells are simply threaded onto appropriate tubing which carries the coolant. Should be cheaper and more reliable than each cell having individual connectors with rubber seals.

Of course, you would never be able to mix different cell designs within the same pack, but that situation is true now.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Panasonic delivers first 3.1Ah lithium ion cells to Tesla - Autoblog Green

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

#8 Iz, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Cutting edge != Leading edge
    Leading (Bleeding?) edge = Lithium-air & Zinc-Air

TM is playing it safe but will require overall better packs to distinguish themselves from future offerings by Infiniti, BMW and others.

6. Tdave

Tdave Member

A direct replacement of the 2.9 Ah cells in the current Roadster battery pack with these new 3.1 Ah cells would mean 261 miles range instead of 240 miles range. Every little bit helps.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I believe till now Tesla has never publicly revealed their battery supplier.

Why is this different?

8. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

I thought the energy output would be higher resulting in > 275 mile range for the same # of cells.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The cells in the current Roadster battery pack got locked down a while ago and I think those are 2.4 Ah cells. So if that's the case, 3.1 Ah cells would mean a 29% improvement.

10. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

That would be ~ 310 range for Roadster. Nice!!

11. Tdave

Tdave Member

You're right, not 2.9. So are they using 2.4 or 2.2 Ah cells in current packs? Some posts on the Tesla blogs say 2.2 Ah. TMC forum search is failing me.

12. William3

William3 Member

Would these new cells also be 29% heavier?

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

14. Tdave

Tdave Member

No, but maybe a gram. The 3.4 Ah coming next year will be 2 grams heavier than the current 2.9 Ah, according to Panasonic. With 6831 of them, that amounts to an extra 40 pounds. Not a big deal.

15. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

#18 tdelta1000, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    What I took from the news today was the Model S will get this new technology thus put tingTesla right on target of their stated ranges. Also that the S is still a go.

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I asked the question about two years ago on teslafounders and Martin replied that his car had 2.4Ah cells. It was reposted here.

17. domenick

domenick Nerd

With the Model S still being a couple years off, I expect its batteries to be even better than these.