Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Panasonic Collaborate to Develop Next-Generation Battery Cell Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At some point they have to lock in. That could be now.

Therein lies the dilemma. 3.1 Ah cells will not be the latest and greatest in 2012. One approach is to allow owners to exchange their battery packs for one having the latest configuration. However when Model S is delivered it will already have outdated packs.

How farfetched is the idea of an owner maintained pack where one can replace individual cells provided these future cells are much larger, thereby requiring few cells?

The announcement at Christmas from Panasonic stated that the next generation of 3.4Ah cells will enter production in 2012, followed by the 4Ah in 2013. However, these new 3.1Ah are later than the original announcement, so there is every chance that they will still be state of the art in 2012.

How farfetched is the idea of an owner maintained pack where one can replace individual cells provided these future cells are much larger, thereby requiring few cells?

I'd say extremely far-fetched. Tesla is aiming as mass market with these. You know, the same folks with range anxiety and all that. Not YOU folks who are smart enough to do actually do what you suggest

Excellent point vfx. Panasonic delivers tested and proven technologies. Still, it is difficult to know some of the newer technologies will become production ready one day and cannot be considered yet.

Outsider, I would wait just a little while longer for a Model S with 3.4 Ah cells. Given an 8000 cell pack that would amount to ~ 400 mile range/charge.

The cells in the current Roadster battery pack got locked down a while ago and I think those are 2.4 Ah cells. So if that's the case, 3.1 Ah cells would mean a 29% improvement.

So the current cells are 2.4 Ahr? My Energizer AA rechargeable NiMH are 2.45 Ahr. That doesn't seem right to me since the Li Cells used in the Roadster are larger than AA. Also a sales rep at the Seattle store told me today that the newer batteries were for the Model S.

So the current cells are 2.4 Ahr? My Energizer AA rechargeable NiMH are 2.45 Ahr. That doesn't seem right to me since the Li Cells used in the Roadster are larger than AA. Also a sales rep at the Seattle store told me today that the newer batteries were for the Model S.

AA are ~1.5V, 18650 are ~3.75V so 2.5 times the Wh for the same Ahr...