Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a big Spotify fan and no, don't think you can. I've had to just run it on my phone and bluetooth the the car, which sounds and works great but I'd love to have it as a native app on the car.

I've heard that in Europe they use Spotify, not sure what the resistance to having it in the US, maybe someone else knows?

I'm a big Spotify fan and no, don't think you can. I've had to just run it on my phone and bluetooth the the car, which sounds and works great but I'd love to have it as a native app on the car.

I've heard that in Europe they use Spotify, not sure what the resistance to having it in the US, maybe someone else knows?

My guess is that its bandwidth. Using it through your phone means data charges and usage is all through your mobile account.

Slacker also uses bandwidth, and probably a comparable amount. It's just "Tesla priorities." They need to add CarPlay and Android Auto and wash their hands of it. Otherwise they'll be endlessly behind. They're a car company, not a music service.

No. The only way to use Spotify in your car is via your smartphone over bluetooth.
No, while most common, it's not the only way.

Alternatives include hacking your car to enable Spotify.

yes why don't they add CarPlay.What's wrong with Tesla?! Doesn't make any sense! Except if it is a cost issue on their end. But for the price they are selling the car, that should be included regardless!

For all we know they plan to switch everybody to Tesla Tunes and as such Slacker->TTunes is much easier jump (adds albums and by artist selection that Slacker Plus lacks) than Spotify->TTunes (muche better Library at Spotify and presumably the audio selection algorithm is much better too).

• Funny
Reactions: mal_tsla
Hacking your car - doesn't really seem all that viable for most. Assuming that creates all sorts of fun when you go for service because something doesn't go right with the controls.
Well, the controls are quite disconnected from the cid.
I am not assessing any viability here, I am just noting that the phone->bt route is not the only way.

"You cannot play Spotify in your Tesla without using your phone" is a perfectly sensible response for those us who purchased cars in the US. I'm not looking forward to Tesla Tunes.. yet another subpar thing forced on me. I want to use best-in-class navigation, maps, music services, etc, and a car maker will never be best in class for any of those. Tesla is best in class for drive train and driving related systems and they should let the best players in other spaces fill those roles via CarPlay/AAuto.

"My 90D doesn't go as fast as a P model, can I add the performance after the purchase?"

"The only way to get P model performance is to buy a P model up front."

"Well, not really, you could take your car apart and upgrade the motors to P models found in a salvage yard and hack the software to fool the car into thinking it should use them."

That exchange would be equally true as "well you could hack your car" but just as silly in that "nobody" is going to do that.

I suspect the reason we don't have Spotify in the US is contractual. Back in 2012 when Tesla was small and their future was unclear, they struck a deal with Slacker. I suspect that ideal was quite good, as at the time Slacker was also not very well known or established. It's possible that the contract specifies Slacker as the exclusive streaming provider for Tesla in North America, or Tesla is choosing to stay with slacker because it's less expensive than Spotify.

Australia also uses spotify.

You could also say you want to use Apple Music... :D But there aren't any good answers as long as there is only one service integrated. You would think that any *one* service would be fine to use, but maybe there's a catch somewhere here... You can use any one of several, for example, on Amazon Echo [but never Apple Music, lol]. That sorta makes sense.

As for the general mobile integration, I'm not holding my breath for that (Car Play, etc.). I bet it's so far down Elon's list, it's below everything else he's promised us, and how's that working out for us? :D

I know that most auto manufacturers license QNX (now owned by Blackberry) as their main computer hardware. I suspect that all entertainment systems integrate via the QNX interface.

Unfortunately, Tesla seems to have built their own. Even though it's also Unix based, it's a completely different implementation. It may be non-trivial to get CarPlay/Android to work with a Tesla.

I know that most auto manufacturers license QNX (now owned by Blackberry) as their main computer hardware. I suspect that all entertainment systems integrate via the QNX interface.

Unfortunately, Tesla seems to have built their own. Even though it's also Unix based, it's a completely different implementation. It may be non-trivial to get CarPlay/Android to work with a Tesla.
Actually there's an android implementation that is Linux based and porting that one should not be too hard.
Additionally I imagine Google actually has a bunch of ready-made code to be reused by all implementers who actually want to license the technology (the above mentioned android implementation is unlicensed and was reverse-engineered).

Reactions: vandacca