Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DNSJames

Model X Refresh
Apr 29, 2022
St Augustine
Why does my beautiful gigantic navigational map have me flying at 12,000ft while driving? I see this tiny speck… and then realize it’s actually a massive shopping mall. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to zoom the map in where it’s actually useful… and have it track me at the same time. Like an idiot in front of my passengers I’ll use the mic to say “zoom in map” like three times to get it at a reasonable height… but now that stopped tracking as well. Is everyone ok with the SpaceX view of their surroundings? It doesn’t just make the incredibly awesome map screen useless… it’s actually pretty embarrassing when passengers make comments about it. I also don’t want drivers around me to catch me using binoculars while in the drivers seat. I still hopelessly love the car as it’s king, I’m not trying to bash and be a total smart-butt… but please… I’m dying to put my phone down, which does it like a champ. I’m ready to buy one of these https://amzn.to/3FlnY22 for goodness sake, haaa!

Reactions: Castaway
Unclear what vehicle you are driving. (change your signature to include it).

However, the manual gives the clue. Manuals: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual

hYy95IU.jpg

• Love
Reactions: X-pilot
Sorry… I’m new to the site. I’m about to go dig into my profile and update it but in the mean time it’s the refresh X Long Range… also explaining why I’m a noob.
Even when I’m navigating, it does zoom in and out but the baseline view seems it’s from a commercial airliner. Is it just me? My previous car was a constant and at least 3/4 further in. It wouldn’t be uncommon for me to look and say, “oh nice, a Target is coming up”. Or a park for the kiddos. Now it’s similar to when I’m flying Delta… I think to myself, “that’s a cool structure, maybe I’ll take a pic and look up what it is later”.

The key is to stay zoomed in nicely and have it track my movement in the center.

Reactions: X-pilot
When navigating, tap the screen, and then tap the compass rose dot, and the map will toggle between North Up, Heading Up (the way you are headed) and Route (there is a fourth "Leg" view if your route has legs, or waypoints like chargers.
When you select "Heading Up" it should zoom in and stay zoomed.

The key is to stay zoomed in nicely and have it track my movement in the center.
Try what Nosken suggested. I've had your issue and stumbled thru it but he explained it better of the top of their head.

When navigating, tap the screen, and then tap the compass rose dot, and the map will toggle between North Up, Heading Up (the way you are headed) and Route (there is a fourth "Leg" view if your route has legs, or waypoints like chargers.
When you select "Heading Up" it should zoom in and stay zoomed.
OK, so this is driving me completely bonkers. The map continued to stay zoomed way out to the point I was actually considering selling the car - but somehow I accidentally did something that made it zoom in and stay zoomed in... and track me. It stayed zoomed in both navigating and without. However, after the next time I got in the car I can't get it to do it again. Could you please elaborate on how exaclty I keep the map zoomed in? I can't for the life of me understand why this is even a thing, it's so stupid.
On my (refresh model) screen, down in the lower left I have the NORTH UP... the HEADING UP and the snake or ROUTE when I'm routing. If I'm not routing the button only does two things... NORTH and HEADING UP. I put it in HEADING UP and as soon as I pinch to zoom in, the HEADING UP goes grey. What in the world am I doing wrong?!?

In the pic... the default zoomed out view is so completely useless to me...

Attachments

• 20000ft.jpg
    20000ft.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4518.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 62
OK, so this is driving me completely bonkers. The map continued to stay zoomed way out to the point I was actually considering selling the car - but somehow I accidentally did something that made it zoom in and stay zoomed in... and track me. It stayed zoomed in both navigating and without. However, after the next time I got in the car I can't get it to do it again. Could you please elaborate on how exaclty I keep the map zoomed in? I can't for the life of me understand why this is even a thing, it's so stupid.
On my (refresh model) screen, down in the lower left I have the NORTH UP... the HEADING UP and the snake or ROUTE when I'm routing. If I'm not routing the button only does two things... NORTH and HEADING UP. I put it in HEADING UP and as soon as I pinch to zoom in, the HEADING UP goes grey. What in the world am I doing wrong?!?

In the pic... the default zoomed out view is so completely useless to me...
Use the binnacle. It's awesome for nav.

Do you mean just when using navigation? Tap the squiggly button that displays the next turn. That will zoom out to show route overview, then tap again to zoom back in and the map will track you. It's not the north up/heading up setting. Please don’t sell your car because of this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.26.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 6.26.15 PM.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 67
Do you mean just when using navigation? Tap the squiggly button that displays the next turn. That will zoom out to show route overview, then tap again to zoom back in and the map will track you. It's not the north up/heading up setting. Please don’t sell your car because of this.
I’m gonna try that first in the morning. It seems like I was doing it without navigating but maybe I was imagining that.

It is slightly hilarious/not hilarious that football stadiums look about the size of a needle-head. I can’t possibly imagine who’s making that decision at Tesla… but I do know they’ve never been in a car before.

So is it true that if I’m just driving around… it defaults to 20,000ft?

So you should be able to either do North Up or Heading Up to "re-enable tracking". Manual info below. HTH

Lz6PM3S.jpg

aRMdqVV.jpg
Right… that definitely works and brings me back to “tracking”… but it’s super hard to tell what I’m tracking because that’s when it zooms out to 20,000ft. I can probably see a 5 mile radius like in the pic.

I want to be max zoomed in and tracking. I’d like to glance at the map and actually see what’s around me. perhaps a Target or mall coming up.

Right… that definitely works and brings me back to “tracking”… but it’s super hard to tell what I’m tracking because that’s when it zooms out to 20,000ft. I can probably see a 5 mile radius like in the pic.

I want to be max zoomed in and tracking. I’d like to glance at the map and actually see what’s around me. perhaps a Target or mall coming up.
Yes, I do that all the time but I use navigation regularly.

When you are navigating tap the FIRST entry (yellow box) like below
to toggle between the zoomed-in and zoomed-out view (to your next waypoint or final stop).

uq7nlFx.jpg

jlurZRh.jpg

Tesla changed the zoom behavior of the map in V11. It used to stay zoomed out until you were coming up to a turn and then it zoomed in nicely. Now it mostly stays zoomed out.

You can adjust it manually though. Tap the heading up/north button to get your car tracking on the map. Then pinch to zoom with your fingers around the car icon (red-ish triangle) without moving the map. You can zoom in as much as you want and your car will still track properly.

This does reset every time you change the navigation address.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Tesla changed the zoom behavior of the map in V11. It used to stay zoomed out until you were coming up to a turn and then it zoomed in nicely. Now it mostly stays zoomed out.

You can adjust it manually though. Tap the heading up/north button to get your car tracking on the map. Then pinch to zoom with your fingers around the car icon (red-ish triangle) without moving the map. You can zoom in as much as you want and your car will still track properly.

This does reset every time you change the navigation address.
Excellent thought... I'm going to try that momentarily. Thank you!