Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Town Hall -- $50K too high on excise tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumping this thread because I just got the excise tax bill for my P90D Model X from Cambridge.

Tax date: 3/30/16 (delivery date)
Taxable value: $129,800
Tax: $2704.17

Wow - I paid $1146 on my 2013 S85 in summer of 2013. This seems high - could be MSRP of the P90D Model X. It would be nice to know if others are getting billed similar amounts.

I finally received the dreaded excise tax bill for the car I bought back in September (2016 MS 75D Solid White with Autopilot, no other options), and as I understand the bill the car has a valuation of $88,000 (bill says $79,200 valuation with excise rate $25/$1000 for 4/12 months this year gives $660 tax, and cars are valuated at 90% on year of manufacture). This earlier post was quoting this amount too.

I was just wondering if anyone has information on where one can find the valuation prices for MA excise tax? Various references online say that MA uses the MSRP, but even with these options and before discounts the MSRP for the car quoted in my paperwork is only $83,200 (which is also quoted at NADA). I am guessing that MA has some list where they give the $88k figure for the Model S (or some variation of it), but I want to find out whether this is something that I should dispute as described earlier in the thread.

Reactions: masam
Bump/followup: I called the assessor in Northampton and she said that she does not set the valuation prices, and that the RMV does that, but she would not give me a name or contact info to follow up. Does anyone want to share their previous experiences pursuing changes in valuation? I would very much appreciate it.

Further followup: the board of assessors acted on their own and gave me an abatement for the difference. So I do echo the recommendation to talk to your city/town's board. FYI I gave them a copy of the NADA value and the delivery configuration document.