Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Trump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trump loves tesla not sure why everyone thinks he is going to destroy it, he also loves space x and has already pledged to clear the path for space exploration.
+1. Not sure he loves Tesla, but he has no agenda against a company making high tech products in the U S. In fact, he campaigned on bringing production back to the U S. Not a fan of his, and he may try to do somethings I don't like. I don't think this is one of them.

+1. Not sure he loves Tesla, but he has no agenda against a company making high tech products in the U S. In fact, he campaigned on bringing production back to the U S. Not a fan of his, and he may try to do somethings I don't like. I don't think this is one of them.

He specifically mentioned which jobs/industries he was bringing back to America.

Coal, steel, oil and gas--that sort of thing.

Zero mention of Tesla.

Again, if Tesla was so heavily revered among conservative politicians then you wouldn't have only conservative states banning sales and/or service left and right.

Trump has to prove that he's not like other conservative politicians, and so far he's doing an extremely poor job of it. Just look at his cabinet choices and his closest allies in the transition.

I am going to throw these ideas into the mix:

The Trump administration will relax CAFE standards so automakers will increase the trend of producing gas guzzling SUV's, which will increase demand on gasoline (already happening as August was the highest gas consumption month ever in the U.S.). This will eventually result reduced supplies, which may raise gas prices.

Geopolitical tension tends to drive up the price of oil. I think we can count on increased geopolitical tension with Trump, especially in the oil producing areas of the world. Reduced supply equals increasing prices.

The North America infrastructure for oil production has been devastated in the last five years, making a quick recovery to past production levels unlikely.

All of these factors combined point to increasing oil prices in the future, which is good for EV sales. So in this sense the Trump administration may be good for the sales of EV's and solar in the long run. Of course, in the short run, it will be a fossil fuel burning bonanza, not good for CO2 levels.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
First Principles:

(1) Donald Trump has nearly unparalleled ego, the satisfaction of which takes precedence over anything else, including GOP preferences. He wants to win, his way.

(2) Donald Trump loves anything that is the biggest and the best: Business success (his claims of "10 Billion Dollars" net worth), High-energy rallies from adoring fans, Tall walls, Strongest military, his own daughter Ivanka's looks.

Based on my observations of the man, I do not believe he would actively attempt to undermine Tesla or Elon Musk. Even if the GOP actively tries to roadblock Tesla at many levels, Trump likely won't go along just to make nice with a party to which he really doesn't belong. I suspect that Mr. Trump likely admires Elon Musk very much, because Elon similarly likes to boast about building the best cars and biggest rockets, and is actually doing it. The two have a lot in common at first glance: outsized ambition, taste for hot women, and multiple divorces. The main difference is that Elon is not cruel in a divisive manner towards certain groups of people.

We in the Tesla camp also have an "inside man": Peter Thiel, whom I read is likely to be Donald Trump's technology advisor. Peter Thiel is on record as saying that Elon is the most impressive member of the "PayPal Mafia" and that he would not bet against Elon on anything. In the event that Trump has to weigh in on a hypothetical matter involving Tesla, having someone like Thiel advising Trump is a good card.

Overall, I expect the Trump administration to have little direct effect on Tesla, because Tesla's products don't need federal incentives to sell.

***MOD NOTE***

Okay, fun time is over. I hope all were able to let off all the steam needed, because from now on
we will have only decorum, and that of the highest order.

Besides, these Mod Notes are suffering from a bit of overuse.

Is there a scenario where the election of Trump is more beneficial to Tesla then the election of Clinton?

Possible options:
Trump does not change current tax credits for EV or Solar
Reduced taxes benefit Tesla as a company
Outraged voters buy EVs to support clean energy message despite Trump support of coal and other non-renewable sources
Other car companies take EV less seriously due to decreased pressure from the regulators and maintaining Tesla's edge longer compared to what is possible otherwise.

Anything else?

In the scenario Trump tries to destroy the market for EVs by increasing oil subsidies and eliminating EV incentives, and maybe even introducing a special tax for EVs, it is very likely states would increase incentives for EVs and increase gasoline tax. Also, California will likely flex its muscles and force other states to follow California's example.

I think it's very likely a Trump presidency hurts all or at least most Automobile Manufacturers besides Tesla. Tesla is the only American Automobile Manufacturer that isn't a drain on the world economy, isn't dependent on low interest rates, and doesn't focus on "moving volume" for the sake of moving volume.

I expect the Governator and Jerry Brown to be very vocal over the next 4 years.

I wonder if the $7,500 EV tax credit going to be chopped by Trump? I am waiting for VW to cut me a check for my TDI so I can purchase a Volt as a place holder while I wait for a Model 3. The loss of the tax credit would be a deal breaker for the Volt.

I wonder if the $7,500 EV tax credit going to be chopped by Trump? I am waiting for VW to cut me a check for my TDI so I can purchase a Volt as a place holder while I wait for a Model 3. The loss of the tax credit would be a deal breaker for the Volt.

Unlikely. It had broad congressional support during the the Bush administration when it was enacted in 2008. And by the time any support could be drummed up to repeal it, Telsa cars won't be eligible anyway.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about a Volt. I still don't think you should worry.

Do you even have $7500 in tax liability?

Reactions: neroden
Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Trump: ‘I think we may see some surprising things from the next administration on renewables’

Musk said the following when his meeting with Trump came up:

“The President-elect has a strong emphasis on US manufacturing and so do we. We are building the biggest factory in the world right here, creating US jobs… I think we may see some surprising things from the next administration. We don’t think they will be negative on fossil fuels… but they may also be positive on renewables.