TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Android app keeping GPS turned on?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by BobV, Jan 26, 2016.

1. BobV

BobV Member

Is anyone else seeing the latest Android app keep their phone's GPS turned on? I've seen this more than once if I forget to kill the app when I'm finished using it, which seems to be standard-operating-policy to solve the initial-connection problems. Screenshot attached showing a cumulative 5 hours worth of active GPS usage since this morning.

Screenshot_20160126-160156.png

2. Caligula

Caligula Member

Marshmallow?

3. green1

green1 Active Member

No issue here, but then I do always kill the app due to the absolutely atrociously horribly bad programming on this app.

4. BobV

BobV Member

Yes, Nexus 5 running stock 6.0.1.

5. Caligula

Caligula Member

My wife has this phone. I'll try it out, no issue on my Note 5 running 5.x.x

6. alexdav

alexdav Member

I noticed that as well on my Nexus 6P. If you use the back button to get out of it, it seems to be alright. Otherwise, you have to close it.

7. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

I noticed this too. I was wondering why when I checked my battery status that the Tesla app used up the most battery at the time. Marshmallow 6.01 on Nexus 6. I've since started killing the app after using it. Could be the newer Tesla app that was recently updated too.

8. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

There was a recent update to the Tesla app and I believe it took care of the battery drain issue. I intentionally left the program sitting in the background this time and I don't see it being an issue now, nor does it appear as an app that utilizes the most battery.

Either Tesla looked at all the comments about battery drain from the Play Store or Android Doze let Google know that the app wasn't playing nicely and cracked a whip to the Tesla developers.

9. green1

green1 Active Member

Never noticed a battery drain issue, but I did upgrade to the latest app last night, and I ran a test where I didn't kill the app after each use, and amazingly it actually worked.

So maybe they actually fixed something!