TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla announces 5-year lithium ion research deal with Dalhousie University

Discussion in 'News' started by S'toon, Jun 17, 2015.

1. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Full article at:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/tesla-announces-5-year-lithium-ion-research-deal-with-dalhousie-1.3117126

2. Ohm Alone

Ohm Alone Member

Now, just to link up Halifax, the largest and richest city on the East Coast of Canada, with the rest of Canada and the US. Just need that one Supercharger in Bangor ME, and the Superchargers in Woodstock NB, Moncton NB and Truro NS to accomplish that link via I95 to the US, and the Transcanada on 102, 104, and 2. Actually, a Moncton Supercharger also opens up PEI as well, so three Maritime provinces with essentially 3 Superchargers.

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Superchargers in Western Ontario, MB, SK... :wink:

4. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Actually, from Truro you can reach the ferries to Newfoundland, so you can say four Maritime provinces. It's nice to think that this might happen. Six months ago, nothing in public indicated any installations East of Drummondville.

5. JER

JER Member

#5 JER, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    For those who don't know, connections between Tesla and Dalhousie University actually go back a few years; Tesla already employ some of Professor Jeff Dahn's former students.

Some of their prior work is mentioned in this video (which is intended for the scientifically literate, but is not too hardcore):

6. James Anders

James Anders Member

When I first watched this video a long time ago I wondered why he wasn't working at Tesla.

7. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

What this means is that Tesla"s Gigafactory will use Dalhousie's testing expertise for predicting in a few weeks which of their new battery chemistries will perform best over the 8-year lifetime of a pack. This will save years in the process of developing better, cheaper batteries.