Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announces CCS1 Adapter Coming to S. Korea Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-12-16_10-42-40.jpeg

Scheduled to be released in the first half on next year!!

Is this for compliance with new legislation in South Korea? I'm sure Tesla designed this a while ago, I wonder why they'd decide to release it now and only announce it for the Korean market.
There's a third party adapter that was "invented" in Korea and is now for sale in the US (and maybe worldwide). My guess is Tesla is trying to quash the Korean company by providing an "official" adapter, especially in Korea.
CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER

Is this for compliance with new legislation in South Korea? I'm sure Tesla designed this a while ago, I wonder why they'd decide to release it now and only announce it for the Korean market.
Tesla to offer adapter CCS1 to their autos has a bit more background info. Wesley (who posted that reply) is a Bolt driver in South Korea.

He says
wesley said:
Tesla's charging network is abysmal compared to the public DCFC infrastructure in Korea. As noted in the Electrek article, there are 33 SC and 150 DC stations in Korea. In contrast, there are a total of more than 23,200 public charging units as of August 2020, of which about 16,000 were L2 (7kW AC) and 7,100 were CCS1 DCFC. Note that this is not the number of stations, but since most stations have just one or two units you can sort of cut the number by half there.

One of the biggest complaints of the Korean Tesla owners was that there aren't enough SC/DC around, which is basically the reverse of the situation in the United States. The existing CHAdeMO adapter was not enough because the expansion of the CHAdeMO charging network pretty much stopped around 2018 after the Korean government chose CCS1 as the national standard the year prior, and the ones already in place can only charge up to about 40 kW.

The new public chargers installed by the government since 2019, numbering around two thousand last time I checked, were mostly CCS1-exclusive with 100 to 200 kW charging support. The newly announced official adapter looks like it may be able to take advantage of the faster speed, and if so, it would be an effective remedy for the said complaint.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bruce4000
With all of the new Electrify America stations showing up on the interstates the CCS adapter would really be a nice option to have.

Yes. Biden said frequently in his campaign speeches that one way to create jobs with clean energy was installing thousands of EV chargers across the USA. If these are going to be Detroit-compatible (what are the odds?) the cheapest route is CCS-only. When CCS is the best alternative to Supercharger in an area, or more available, this adapter would be indispensable.

The only problem I see is that these chargers tend to appear at best in pairs. To get other EV adoption as good or better than Tesla, 4-charger and 8-charger setups (like Tesla's chargers) will soon be necessary. Ditto for L2 chargers in hotels, etc.

The only problem I see is that these chargers tend to appear at best in pairs. To get other EV adoption as good or better than Tesla, 4-charger and 8-charger setups (like Tesla's chargers) will soon be necessary. Ditto for L2 chargers in hotels, etc.
Electrify America's sites tend to have 5 SAE Combo handles + 1 CHAdeMO handle, across 3 DC FC units.

The EVgo installations I've seen tend to only have 2 dual-standard DC FCs. I know of one location with three.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
The mods would have to be made to NA vehicles (except maybe Ravens?). Unless the adapter has electronics in it (like the Setec) S and C vehicles have no circuitry to support communication to CCS chargers

but this is the core question - do they really have a different circuit board for only Korean cars, and another different one for Europe, or would they have the same electronics every car (except early S and X) and only the charger port unit is different? OTOH, even so it may mean a software change needs to be toggled instead.

but this is the core question - do they really have a different circuit board for only Korean cars, and another different one for Europe, or would they have the same electronics every car (except early S and X) and only the charger port unit is different? OTOH, even so it may mean a software change needs to be toggled instead.
I can imagine a transition period where a new circuit board is trialled in S. Korea first. That would imply that older Tesla cars lack the necessary hardware. How old, is anyone's guess.

We should find out soon enough when the adapter goes live.

Reactions: KJD
The mods would have to be made to NA vehicles (except maybe Ravens?). Unless the adapter has electronics in it (like the Setec) S and C vehicles have no circuitry to support communication to CCS chargers
Saw that the adapter was $500. So the guess was that any electronics for communication needed were built into the adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I thought someone in one of these threads (too many CCS1 threads now) said that the signaling was the same in CCS1 and CCS2, only the pin arrangements were different? If so, then presumably the circuit boards have been able to communicate CCS signals since the European model came out. (Or, there's a software switch that needs throwing)? I would find it less likely that each locale has a different board, more likely there's a single versatile board and only the chargeport socket unit varies by country or continent. If I were Elon, that's how I'd do it. Less hassles, less parts less everything.

Reactions: kayak1