Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announces CCS1 Adapter Coming to S. Korea Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the adapter is a real danger, i would assume that's a Consumer Protection or Underwriter Labs issue that the government should take care of. But Tesla is welcome to try to disable unauthorized adapters, particularly if there is a risk.

But then, handling a can of gasoline is a risk too if not done properly. The question is - what's an acceptable risk?

If the adapter is a real danger, i would assume that's a Consumer Protection or Underwriter Labs issue that the government should take care of. But Tesla is welcome to try to disable unauthorized adapters, particularly if there is a risk.

But then, handling a can of gasoline is a risk too if not done properly. The question is - what's an acceptable risk?

The difference that should be obvious here is that a bozo who causes a fire with a can of gasoline does not ask GM for a cost free repair.

The difference that should be obvious here is that a bozo who causes a fire with a can of gasoline does not ask GM for a cost free repair.
I agree. The point I was making, was that if there was sufficient risk that UL or CSA felt the adapter was not safe for humans, then it would not be certified for use. The risk that it could be pulled out (or fall out) and create a massive unsafe flash would be one such risk. "Hazardous" would be a reason for an adapter to be banned by consumer protection agencies. The equivalent risk to me would be something like the gas filler cap being above the exhaust pipe. (Or a pointy bolt on the axle under the gas tank)

Beyond that, Tesla may feel that they would rather not allow an adapter that risked burning out a component in the vehicle. If the only risk is that you damage, say, the charging circuitry through your own negligence, then that to me is the equivalent of a big gas spill while filling a car or sticking a knife in a toaster - the risk is self-evident but you've done it anyway..

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
if there was sufficient risk that UL or CSA felt the adapter was not safe for humans, then it would not be certified for use.
This sentence summarizes it, but your entire paragraph here seems to be based on your unquestioned assumption that it WAS certified for use. I assure you, it definitely wasn't! This was a very unofficial, "at your own risk" kind of product that was never submitted to UL or anything like that.

This sentence summarizes it, but your entire paragraph here seems to be based on your unquestioned assumption that it WAS certified for use. I assure you, it definitely wasn't! This was a very unofficial, "at your own risk" kind of product that was never submitted to UL or anything like that.
Ok, I'm not a safety expert, but I would have thought any high voltage device sold to the public would need UL (or CSA) approval.

Obviously not. Use at own risk applies double.

Reactions: KJD