Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announces CCS1 Adapter Coming to S. Korea Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will continue to be a problem until there's ONE standard for the entire world. There isn't a different type of gasoline nozzle for North America vs. other places.
Unless and until we get roads connecting North America to Europe, Asia to North America, etc., I don't see this as a big deal. The number of cars that make intercontinental journeys today (excluding one from the factory to its point of sale when new) is relatively small, AFAIK. In the case of CCS1 vs. CCS2, my understanding is that the electronic protocols are identical; it's just the physical plug that's different. Thus, a simple swap after an intercontinental trip (when somebody moves and takes the vehicle or when a car is imported used), or an adapter, should be sufficient. Compared to the cost of shipping a car from one continent to another, the cost of an adapter or swap of charging inlet on the car should be pretty minor. That said, I know less about the Chinese GB/T standard; it may be more of a compatibility issue than CCS1 to CCS2 or vice-versa for secondhand sales, etc. Likewise if Japan hangs on to CHAdeMO in the long run -- and roads or tunnels connecting Japan to mainland Asia would likely be easier to engineer and build than similar links between other major EV markets.

The bigger issue, IMHO, is multiple standards within a market, which are an issue today for any EV buyer in North America.
Yep. But we have also had two (or three) different kinds of charging cables for cell phones for many years, and you don't see people going crazy and flipping out about that either. It's a minor bother, but people deal with it just fine.
In the not-too-distant past, every manufacturer had its own type of cell phone charging cable, so a drop to the two that are in common use today is a huge improvement. What's more, phone charging standards and EV charging standards are different in several important ways:
  • Cost -- The cost of an adapter for DC fast charging charging is currently in the hundreds of dollars, and isn't likely to drop much below that. This creates a much bigger barrier than the sub-$10 price of a USB-C or Apple Lightning cable.
  • Convenience -- USB cables are small, easy to carry with you, and fairly ubiquitous (you may be able to borrow one from a friend, for instance). DC fast charging adapters are much more awkward to use and transport. Granted, they'd likely be carried in a car, not in a backpack or purse, and that helps with the transport issue; but they're still awkward to use.
  • Availability -- If a driver does not have an adapter, then pulling up to a DC fast charging station of the wrong kind means you're out of luck. By contrast, within a given market, AC power outlets are standardized, so if you've got the necessary travel chargers for your phone (which you'd probably pack along with everything else if you're on a trip), so you'll have no problems charging your phone at a restaurant, highways service plaza, etc., whether you've got an Android or iPhone.
  • Responsibility -- In most cases, public charging for phones comes in the form of either AC outlets or USB-A connectors; the user is expected to provide the cable and, if necessary, AC/DC converter necessary to go from that to their phones. With DC fast charging, by contrast, the public charging equipment includes a plug that goes straight into the car, whether that's Tesla, CCS1, or whatever.

There was a YouTube video from Tesla in Korea users group

They tested the adapter on Model 3 LR on 48 to 350 kW chargers (test 1-5), tried a Model S 90D with no go (test 6), and Model 3 SR+ (test 7-8)

The CCS adapter resulted in 38 to 108kW charging on the Model 3 LR depending on charger current and battery SoC (see table below)

The likely maximum a 400V battery Model 3 LR will theoretically charge at would be about 113 kW at 53% SoC (battery voltage 378V at 53% SoC).
Below this SoC the battery voltage will limit the power, and above this SoC the car will start reducing the power curve,

Also there was a portion of the video showing the locking prong operation, showing that it is indeed to lock the CCS trigger when the adapter is plugged into the car.

The car did NOT explode on the 350A charger, and the calculated power correlates to the adapter capping out at 300A.

The power you should get is (Charger Amps) * (Battery voltage at current SoC).

I used the charging graph for my Tesla Model 3 to correlate SoC shown on screen with what the battery charging voltage would be, then used it to calculate the resulting power (Amps*Volts@SoC) that theoretically it should come to. These came to pretty close to what the screen in the video showed.

Below is a chart showing the results.

Temperatures ranged from 17 to 20 degrees C. I'm not going to include the temperature or voltage columns in the below chart.
1635025224623.png

My Model 3 LR charging graph (used for SoC vs charging Voltage) from TeslaMate on a Setec CCS charging session is below
1635025296816.png

They tested the adapter on Model 3 LR on 48 to 350 kW chargers (test 1-5), tried a Model S 90D with no go (test 6), and Model 3 SR+ (test 7-8)

The CCS adapter resulted in 38 to 108kW charging on the Model 3 LR depending on charger current and battery SoC (see table below)

The likely maximum a 400V battery Model 3 LR will theoretically charge at would be about 113 kW at 53% SoC (battery voltage 378V at 53% SoC).
Below this SoC the battery voltage will limit the power, and above this SoC the car will start reducing the power curve,

Also there was a portion of the video showing the locking prong operation, showing that it is indeed to lock the CCS trigger when the adapter is plugged into the car.
Also looks like they got 66kW on a SR+ at 30% charging (peaking at 69 kW at around 50%) on a 200A charger.
The car did NOT explode on the 350A charger, and the calculated power correlates to the adapter capping out at 300A.
So basically exactly as I and a bunch of people said. Tesla isn't going to be dumb enough to not set a limit if they know already their adapter can't handle it. I was expecting that there may also be some other software incompatibility issue with 350A chargers (as we see all the time with certain chargers with the Setec), but that didn't seem to be the case here, just the car setting a lower 300A limit.
Yeah, Tesla will have a way to detect CCS adapter is in use and set appropriate limits. The warning is likely so that people don't come with the false expectation that the car can necessarily charge at the nameplate limit of some of the faster CCS chargers due to the 300A limit. People need to keep in mind we are doing a google translate on the warning so things may be lost in translation , plus the USA/NA warning might be worded differently.

@ 5:35 it really shows how much better the Tesla design is. I really want to get the CCS adapter whenever its available in NA because it allows easier travel to/in Oklahoma (Tesla has absolutely no intention on improving the situation there) but damn, CCS is a monstrosity.

Reactions: kayak1
This is what he said in the video
The dc combo adapter officially released by Tesla

has arrived

. One of those purchasers gave me

the opportunity to open it and see it first.

As you all know, the king of ccs combos.

Yes, Europe is a ccs combo two

system, so the view is a little different from each other. I

said that it was made by a human on Earth, and

I used it again.

Let's open it up

I've done nothing except wee art.

This is the part that connects to the port shooting.

It fits perfectly with the book mac os oi oi

4 To

test the adapter, honey d,

I found Yangju. At the moment, this car

had no problem in the meantime.

I've lived in person and I'm going

to become more Honma, so this time I

'm thrilled with the genuine tessellation.

How about the 4 ducts? Which is the

first time I've seen it and how's the sobbing? It's

heavier than I thought.

Look,

I did it even though it's the worst oil right now

I just thought I could do it very little

And I thought this was going to simplify the network by taking Ceci and thinking about the surface,

but I thought it was going to be a simple one with

a lot of stuff like

that. It's pretty heavy. Still,

it's much simpler than the 104 Zinger car triangle, well, the price is cheap

and the dc combo adapter many people have been waiting for

4 The first new

scenery is long, but this is a rather

old charger. Unlike the

4th operation, which was most often installed in the 4th place

if you look at the manual, you are told to connect this cable first

Yo, I hear a clicking sound, unlike the chassis assembly, first, connect the adapter like this, and then connect it to the vehicle. I think it goes back and forth from 4 4 11 to 44 11, which went up to art by key.

Yes, I confirmed that it worked well, and it

is also 39. I think I

went to a meeting of proclaimed 44 11. The

Tesla port is a bit

thin.

However, if you touch it, you can use it a little overseas if you touch

it, so I think you should check this from the beginning. When this

is released, it feels like the story is

being solved.

This anchor is very painful and

I'd like to try it made in such a simple standard like Tesla,

but when charging is finished

, either stop the charging game or

prepare the vehicle and

pull it out by holding it with a hand.

It's gorgeous

, then I heard that it wasn't there and in my opinion, I was told to pull it out. You

did a good job with the 4 products you had to catch. This place goes up

and announces the release

It's a

little bigger than the second Chilchi.

So, where can you come to Traje 19 and 9

Minseo by car

, but I think there's only one answer, right? The

Hong Jeong-gi installed in the temple that talked about you is

still a bit sleepy when I bite it and charge it like this.

There

was a time when I was using more dirt and it was loaded once.

Besides what I received, there are only 38.

The 50kg art cup charger is

actually about this in the 30th shot

. When a cub comes in, this color doesn't

matter if you unplug this cable.

When it's blue, you don't even need to unplug it. It's 4p

. Unplug it when the right pick color comes in.

Why don't you enjoy 4? So, really, the

charger is really the touch screen is normal,

there are a lot of cases where it is not recognized well in the box, and it must

be

a charger that has been installed with tax.

Let go Yes

Yes Even if you do this, it will charge, but let's

check

it

out Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I

'm going to try a test to see if it does. If I

press it, the blanc breaks apart

. If I just tighten it, the system works like this. When I

pull it out, I press and pull it

out. But this again takes a

lot of pain.

As it came out

, I was able to accomplish this book of the btc combo cable,

so it

doesn't work

when it's pushed like this

I think it will work,

but when I first fasten it, if I

raise the arm properly, it

may not work, but it

is quite stiff.

200 perfection of 500 volts,

especially Robert's process.

Probably the most common chargers like this and it seems

to be the charger that will be installed the most in the future.

The remaining battery charge

started at 49%, but it seems that the rate

of 80% of the maximum charging strategy

is

coming out of

the 74

inflammation charger, which is

74. At 350 kilos, it is a direct

charger. It is

called a super fast charger.

This is how the output of 350 volts of 350 volts is

controlled

. In the case of the 357 express, if it rings for a long time, it

can be stretched.

If you look, it says

not to use this beginner's book. It's said

not to use it, so why bother

? But if an adapter comes out, I think there are some people who

want to inherit it from the beginner's class in the Gospel

I think it would be better

to do this. As far as I know, this Tesla

Korea has tested the super-fast charger sprouting

. So

, I'm going to try this as a way to show you if I can get it

I think I should call the set

test, 5 compared to the supercharged cable.

What is this?

Salty ah

ah ah ah

uh huh Mining came in 7kg of fabric

Art comes out 5

Let's wait, it might get heavy

350 Nervous system, but

I can't write it down that fast, but it's

100 shots It seems like it's going up, and I

don't know if it's summer. I need to know when I'm shaking

. I've opened it, but there is an association, but I

haven't been a winner for a long time. I've

been charging

it for a

long

time. The reason I'm pulling is really not one out of

ten I'm making it right now,

and it's very lukewarm.

It seems like I put it down

and

I had to think of 4 Tesla. It tasted similar to the

molding machine

here, and even this was charged

separately. I separated it like a super search for the main body

It's

probably like a supercharger. Uh, as the charge

goes up, the speed seems to drop little by little

I'm going to stop the car this time.

Charging comes in

white, and I think

it

's going to be good. The thing to be careful about is when the

shooting

is

over, if it goes like this, everything goes in. So

I think you can put

it in. It's not natural. You've done quite a bit

right now because it costs 300,000 won.

This tc comb

adapter also has a speed of

100 km and can be used more than the art one

I didn't get

that certification, but the Ministry of Environment

installed it

. It's fun. This is the first time, but there's no

way that the adapter can be recognized as a hard drive with 350

kilos. Even if you use it, however, Tesla said not to use it, and

if there is a problem while using it, it is

better not to say not to do it because it is true

with the user. It says that

the jet cannot be used

. The dc combo adapter contains

a module that the in-vehicle charger can communicate with

On the right,

there are such parts in the adapter, but the pc

converter becomes a vehicle, and since such a module is included

, it can be seen that the adapter can be made simpler

I know that

this is included, but the model sx that came out before that doesn't have such a

module, so I

can't seem to use the disco head down

I think a policy will come out so that the model sx can also be used. For

now, the model sx is

not available,

but I ca

n't stand the question of other channels to us as to

how not to do it.

I received a signal, but the

vehicle

refused to charge

Now, this is a 2019 model

three standard ng plus

vehicle.

It's not 5,

it's about 44. The

charging speed is also affected by Vera being empty, and the charging speed is

also affected by the

power situation in the place where the charger is installed

, so

it is difficult to make an accurate comparison.

Confession Volt's 200 amps, 100 kilos, I

lay down a charger that came out to 100 kilos In the

case of disco breast milk,

governor 1 started. The

battery level started at 25 percent.

It is common to see this charging installed in a large position

I'm guessing it won't come out

This charger

isn't

good. There are many chargers installed recently that are in the same class as this

100kg. Let's take a look at this charger

At the time, the

art will be divided into

100 kilos. If you charge only one 100 kilos, it will still

come out from d to d.

4 Charging started at 27% of the remaining battery charge

again

I think it's 64 kilos now, but it's a

standard lady plus, so it might give you a little bit of

speed, and maybe

it melts to the speed of 70p art,

so I think that it won't come out that much

anyway. It's the

same as

the art

charger, you can see that it's long

Now, the world's first

Tesla 2 ccs,

dc combo adapter, which was

released first in the world, I checked the speed of each charger

Perhaps, considering the charging environment in

Korea, Tesla

Korea was actively promoting

this adapter, so it seems that this adapter was released first in

Korea.

I think

the adapter can be used in the US as it is

It

is true that the accessibility is the best because it is laid out

at a highway rest area. So when you take a short break at a highway rest area, there are 30

to 40

minutes anyway.

Anyway, I have a lot of spa tea,

but I am ending today's video letter by letting you know that

Korea's public rapid infrastructure can now be

freely used through this adapter.

I saw you, come sooner

[Music]

wow

Do I understand correctly that older Tesla m3 (2018-2019 with GEN3 ECU) may charge with this ccs1 adapter without necessity to replace the ECU?
This is unknown.
These tests of the Tesla CCS1 adapter are from South Korea. South Korea only started selling Model 3 cars (with Tesla charge port) after Model 3 came out (with CCS2 charge port) in Europe.
Hence we don't know if Korean Model 3 cars have the North American ECU or the European ECU (or even something else)

This is unknown.
These tests of the Tesla CCS1 adapter are from South Korea. South Korea only started selling Model 3 cars (with Tesla charge port) after Model 3 came out (with CCS2 charge port) in Europe.
Hence we don't know if Korean Model 3 cars have the North American ECU or the European ECU (or even something else)
But according to Korean tesla parts catalogue, they also have gen3 and gen4 ECU. Presuming Tesla m3 2019 (in video) has gen3 ECU, it is most likely that ccs1 will work at US model 3 2018-2019.
Anyway, it is better to be tested in USA.

I once filled up my motorcycle with diesel. Fortunately, before I started it up, the attendant said "wow! I've never seen a motorcycle that uses diesel!" And with a motorbike, you can unbolt the tank and dump it out on the side of the lot (those were the days).

I've always hoped that maybe some year I'd be able to take my Tesla to Europe (RollOn-RollOff) and use an adapter to charge while I toured the continent.

The problem with a proprietary plug is that then Tesla has to create its own charging network. This was not an impediment when they were basically the only game in town, but as charging options become as ubiquitous as gas stations are now, the inability of Tesla owners to take advantage of these facilities (or, *full* advantage) will eventually become a drag on sales, no longer will their own private network be a plus.

(I often wonder if the same will become true for diesel - the recent bad reputation for diesel engines and the resulting decline in diesel options for small cars - will diesel stop being an option at many gas stations, relegating it like the Good Old Days to truck stop special pumps? with minimal sales potential for diesel, it will become less enticing for gas stations to spend the extra to install those tanks and pumps.)

Reactions: kayak1
I once filled up my motorcycle with diesel. Fortunately, before I started it up, the attendant said "wow! I've never seen a motorcycle that uses diesel!" And with a motorbike, you can unbolt the tank and dump it out on the side of the lot (those were the days).

I've always hoped that maybe some year I'd be able to take my Tesla to Europe (RollOn-RollOff) and use an adapter to charge while I toured the continent.

The problem with a proprietary plug is that then Tesla has to create its own charging network. This was not an impediment when they were basically the only game in town, but as charging options become as ubiquitous as gas stations are now, the inability of Tesla owners to take advantage of these facilities (or, *full* advantage) will eventually become a drag on sales, no longer will their own private network be a plus.

(I often wonder if the same will become true for diesel - the recent bad reputation for diesel engines and the resulting decline in diesel options for small cars - will diesel stop being an option at many gas stations, relegating it like the Good Old Days to truck stop special pumps? with minimal sales potential for diesel, it will become less enticing for gas stations to spend the extra to install those tanks and pumps.)
It's much less of a problem to put diesel into a gas car then putting gas into a diesel.
I was on a kayaking vacation up in Cape Brenton Island with a couple of my friends when my friend put gas in his diesel truck.
It took most of a week to get the truck sorted out.

My friend ordered it for me and it was cancelled because they were "restricted" to "high demand cases" (basically SR+ cars that needed it to fill gaps).

He sent me a message this morning saying he ordered it again since the restriction has been lifted. Hoping for an update soon to see if they ship it to him and then I'll have it forwarded over here as quick as possible.

I have a 2020 Model Y Long Range and I know someone locally that has a 2019/2020 (Dec 2019 I think) Model 3 Long Range that would probably be game to test with.

My friend ordered it for me and it was cancelled because they were "restricted" to "high demand cases" (basically SR+ cars that needed it to fill gaps).

He sent me a message this morning saying he ordered it again since the restriction has been lifted. Hoping for an update soon to see if they ship it to him and then I'll have it forwarded over here as quick as possible.

I have a 2020 Model Y Long Range and I know someone locally that has a 2019/2020 (Dec 2019 I think) Model 3 Long Range that would probably be game to test with.
Have you an update on this?

Reactions: jsight
This may provide closure to some hoping to get one from Korea. TLDR: It doesn’t work in the US, probably software locked.

This is the official CCS1 adapter shipped from South Korea. Testing on my 2021 model 3 SR+ (not LFP), 2021.36.8 software. Tried EVGO and ElectrifyAmerica stations, not able to start session at all. Rebooted car and no luck, maybe software locked.
Update:
tried 1 ChargePoint, 3 more EV institution stations, all appears to be NOT WORKING. I will retry when my car receives next software update.
I will share some more details on YouTube hopefully this weekend!
Please share if you happen to know how to get it work! Thanks everyone!

https://reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/qn17r1/ccs1_adapter_not_working_in_us/

From the Tesla Model 3 Canadian Group facebook page, firmware version 2021.40 has a new entry in the "Additional vehicle information" page that shows whether your vehicle has the "CCS adapter support" hardware installed. A 2018 Model 3 shows "Not installed".

This probably reflects whether or not the Charge Port ECU is the newer one with the PLC (CCS) support on it.

So older Teslas will need a hardware upgrade to use the CCS adapter, and this screen will tell you if you need it or not.
1636731629076.png