Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announces CCS1 Adapter Coming to S. Korea Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like Miimura and others, I was also expecting older Model 3 like mine to require a hardware upgrade in order to use the CCS adapter. Tesla does so right by its older car owners by offering upgrade paths, although we don't yet know the cost of when it can be completed. Service centers that are already swapped are going to get a whole lot worse if the upgrade price is not exorbitant.

Wouldn't it be awesome if this was a DIY upgrade ? (Yeah --- I'm dreaming. But something for Tesla to engineer into its design process.)

Like Miimura and others, I was also expecting older Model 3 like mine to require a hardware upgrade in order to use the CCS adapter. Tesla does so right by its older car owners by offering upgrade paths, although we don't yet know the cost of when it can be completed. Service centers that are already swapped are going to get a whole lot worse if the upgrade price is not exorbitant.

Wouldn't it be awesome if this was a DIY upgrade ? (Yeah --- I'm dreaming. But something for Tesla to engineer into its design process.)
When this similar adapter rolled out to Europe for CCS2, wasn't the pricing something like $250 for the adapter or $400 for the adapter + hardware upgrade (for older MS and MX)?

After reviewing some of these videos, I would think this upgrade is something that could be completed by a mobile service technician since easy access in the trunk, at least for those that have mobile service as an option in their area.

The hardware looks pretty easy to replace.

Not sure if you need to update the Tesla installed component info with Tesla Toolbox or whether the ECU module will self identify automatically though.

This is in the software section - so...?
(Does a 3 need additional hardware, for example, for the garage door opener also on that list? Or is it an always installed feature that requires software to turn on?)

My 3 was built late 2018 - Oct? Nov? - and also lists as "not installed")

Last edited:
This is in the software section - so...?
(Does a 3 need additional hardware, for example, for the garage door opener also on that list? Or is it an always installed feature that requires software to turn on?)
Why do you say it is a software section? It reports what processor you have, what motor(s) you have, if you have the Homelink module installed, etc... (i.e. it is all information about he hardware in your car.)

We know that older Model 3s will absolutely need a hardware upgrade.

Reactions: Rocky_H
We know that older Model 3s will absolutely need a hardware upgrade.
So far 2 of us with 2018 models have posted "not installed". Anyone else with later North American models that have it installed?

I said software because that's where it is found in the vehicle information. Software and service. That could indicate hardware installed, or it could indicate software installed as drivers for hardware... for example, is Homelink a standard piece of hardware always installed, but requiring the purchase of a driver to work (like FSD) or is enabling Homelink requiring you to buy hardware install update to your vehicle to use? Are there 3's without Homelink HW?

Reactions: mociaf9
So far 2 of us with 2018 models have posted "not installed". Anyone else with later North American models that have it installed?

I said software because that's where it is found in the vehicle information. Software and service. That could indicate hardware installed, or it could indicate software installed as drivers for hardware... for example, is Homelink a standard piece of hardware always installed, but requiring the purchase of a driver to work (like FSD) or is enabling Homelink requiring you to buy hardware install update to your vehicle to use? Are there 3's without Homelink HW?
Homelink used to be standard but Tesla stopped including it in the Model 3 in early 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and GtiMart

I saw someone on Reddit with a 2019 SR+ posted that says CCS support is installed. I’m sure my 2021 has it but I don’t have the latest software update yet.

I saw someone on Reddit with a 2019 SR+ posted that says CCS support is installed. I’m sure my 2021 has it but I don’t have the latest software update yet.
My September 2019 (Canadian spec) says not installed, although it says no external amplifier, which I assume I do have being that I get the reverse noise and can fart externally.

To say that I'm disappointed, after waiting two years for this adapter is an understatement. At this point, I guess I'll wait a bit longer and see what the retrofit costs, but I have a feeling I may end up going with a Setec adapter, assuming Tesla stops bricking it with every update.

My September 2019 (Canadian spec) says not installed, although it says no external amplifier, which I assume I do have being that I get the reverse noise and can fart externally.
It means that you don't have the premium sound system that has an amplifier external to the MCU computer.

At this point, I guess I'll wait a bit longer and see what the retrofit costs, but I have a feeling I may end up going with a Setec adapter, assuming Tesla stops bricking it with every update.
It is unlikely that Tesla will stop blocking the current version of the SETEC adapter, as they consider it unsafe, since it doesn't follow the CCS spec to lock the CCS cable to the adapter. Such that if someone accidentally unplugged it while charging it could cause an arc flash and seriously hurt, or kill them and/or someone else nearby.

I suspect that the Tesla adapter, and retrofit, will cost less than the SETEC adapter.

It means that you don't have the premium sound system that has an amplifier external to the MCU computer.

It is unlikely that Tesla will stop blocking the current version of the SETEC adapter, as they consider it unsafe, since it doesn't follow the CCS spec to lock the CCS cable to the adapter. Such that if someone accidentally unplugged it while charging it could cause an arc flash and seriously hurt, or kill them and/or someone else nearby.

I suspect that the Tesla adapter, and retrofit, will cost less than the SETEC adapter.
Someone in the Setec thread said 2021.40 gives an arc risk warning for the Setec adapter, which makes it more clear that Tesla is intent on blocking it for safety reasons. The previous warning was more ambiguous.
Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

Reactions: mociaf9 and MP3Mike

Tesla had plenty of opportunity to send Setec a cease and desist. Now that their adapter is available in S Korea (and soon NA), suddenly the Setec adapter is unsafe and needs to be blocked. Feels kinda anti-competitive to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H
Tesla had plenty of opportunity to send Setec a cease and desist. Now that their adapter is available in S Korea (and soon NA), suddenly the Setec adapter is unsafe and needs to be blocked. Feels kinda anti-competitive to me.
With what legal reason can Tesla send a C&D? As long as Setec isn't using Tesla branding, isn't violating any patents of Tesla (even ignoring Tesla's open patent pledge), what can Tesla really do legally to stop a third party adapter? All Setec is doing is reverse engineering Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter.

I've seen this kind of game played a lot in lens adapters and third party lenses for cameras. At most there is a cat and mouse game between camera and lens/lens adapter makers, but camera makers don't really have a legal basis to block third party accessories via C&D.

Well it is a fact that it is unsafe. And Tesla was blocking it before their own adapter was out.

I've seen this kind of game played a lot in lens adapters and third party lenses for cameras. At most there is a cat and mouse game between camera and lens/lens adapter makers, but camera makers don't really have a legal basis to block third party accessories.

It is highly unlikely that a lens adapter is going to cause bodily injury, or death, to someone...

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
It is highly unlikely that a lens adapter is going to cause bodily injury, or death, to someone...
Looks like you responded before edit. To clarify, I'm talking about a C&D. I can see a regulator sending a C&D for this reason, but not a manufacturer. I don't see how they have standing to do so nor have I heard of a third party accessory maker receiving a C&D or lawsuit for safety reasons from a first party company.