TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla announces eight-year warranty for Model S and Model X

Discussion in 'Australia' started by possum22, Apr 3, 2018.

1. possum22

possum22 Member

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. mike_j

mike_j Member

This article:-

Tesla announces eight-year warranty for Australia

mentions "Existing owners are able to upgrade to an eight-year warranty, if they so choose. Until 30 March 2018, Tesla offered a four-year warranty."

Somebody want to call and get a price for the upgrade, to save us all doing it?

#doorhandleinsurance

3. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Better be an offer for longer than the 30th of March! Nothing has been sent to me via email or offered when I am in the SC Richmond...

4. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Maybe the article should get the facts correct and a correct link URL:

COVERAGE:

2-Year Extended Warranty Insurance
    Extend the manufacturer warranty up to 2 years or up to 40,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.

4-Year Extended Warranty Insurance
    Extend the manufacturer warranty up to 4 years or up to 80,000 kilometres whichever comes first.

For vehicles ordered and/or delivered prior to 30 March 2018, the Extended Warranty Insurance can be purchased while your vehicle is still within the manufacturer’s warranty timeframe (i.e. your car is not older than 4 years and has not exceeded 80,000 kilometres).

Extended Warranty Insurance

• Informative x 1
  5. lennier

lennier Member

My warranty document has updated under My Documents in my Tesla account, and it quite explicitly says the warranty is 8 years 160,000km with no stipulation on manufacture or purchase date. This is despite a specific stipulation in the power train warranty section for the km limitation that applies to the original 60kWh batteries (pre-2015 manufacture). It's hard to see how this is a mistake, so maybe (just maybe) Tesla are actually extending the warranty for everyone.

6. malcolmpurvis

malcolmpurvis Member

I took delivery of my Model X in mid-March and my warranty document has been updated to 160,000km as well.

• Like x 1
  7. Murbs

Murbs Member

It seems that everyone has gotten the same updated warranty document.
    I fear that Tesla may have done so in error and will shortly rescind it.
    If they don't, then that will be one of the most generous acts any car company has ever done to its loyal customers!

• Like x 1
  8. Murbs

Murbs Member

Update:
    Unfortunately it was too good to be true.
    Upon discovering their mistake, Tesla have changed all pre 30 March 2018 delivered car warranty documents back to the original 80,000km / 4 year deal.

9. Murbs

Murbs Member

For those who missed it. This is what it was:

Attached Files:

10. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Actually, the 8 years unlimited for the battery set the stamdard and now they have effectively given us the 8 years/160000 km warranty.
    Arguments not permitted.

11. Murbs

Murbs Member

Keh?
    They haven't given us (current owners) anything. What they fleetingly gave us was the above attached warranty document which they have since deleted off our MyTesla accounts.

12. Murbs

Murbs Member

This is what they reverted to (for pre 30 March 2018 owners)

Attached Files:

13. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

Couldn't be all past owners, otherwise folks would demand refund for all their recent repairs.

14. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Ahh - I assume you kept a copy of it.

15. GDA8

GDA8 Member

I got my model s delivered yesterday 03/4/2018, check with them today, be told it not covered by 8 years!
    So disappointed with them!

16. lonewolf313

lonewolf313 Member

From the Cars Guide article,

Electric carmaker Tesla has introduced an eight-year new car warranty in Australia for its Model S and Model X vehicles.

The eight-year plan is the longest currently available on the market by duration, besting the excellent seven-year cover offered by Kia, as well as promotional warranty plans that span seven years from the likes of Holden.

It is effective for vehicles purchased as of March 30, 2018.

17. Mike75d

Mike75d Member

Ok so with the original extended warranty, you paid something like $4500 for an extra 4 years + 80,000km but each item to be replaced was at a cost of $200 and not as many items were covered as the original 4 year warranty.
    Is the new extended warranty the same or is it a full 8 year 160 warranty like new owners get?

18. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Got an email from Tesla this morning which mentioned that if you want the extended warranty, you'll get "promotional pricing" for the first 180 days, after that the pricing will be fixed, might be worth upgrading in the next 175 days?

"Pricing is determined by the state or territory in which your vehicle is registered and the time of purchase of Extended Warranty Insurance. Owners receive promotional pricing in the first 180 days after the launch of Extended Warranty Insurance in Australia. After 180 days, pricing is set.
    For details on pricing, eligibility, and purchase details, contact the dedicated Extended Warranty Insurance team at 1300 393 041 or email [email protected]"

• Like x 1
  19. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

One good thing is that this longer warranty would not be offered if Tesla was finding lots of repairs on their 4+ year cars.

I serviced mine at 20,000km/1 year, but then totally forgot about it. I'm now 63,000km and the reason I forgot is that the car feels the same, not blowing black smoke, no ignition trouble, no flat battery (although I've been to 2% :) ).

I have a feeling that aside from basic things like door handle issues, the fundamental vehicle is proving to be very reliable.

20. shanelord

shanelord Member

Just dropped by St Leonards to take possession of my wall connector and got a tour of the service area (pickup my Model S this Thursday). Really nice setup and the "ludicrous line" flows through fast. Impressive.

• Like x 1