Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla announces eight-year warranty for Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I followed up on this. The link in the email offer takes you to marsh insurance who do Tesla’s comprehensive policy. I received a reply telling me that they will get back to me with the cost. Therefore, the extended warranty will be in the form of an insurance policy. They have not as yet got back to me.

I got a response straight away on April the 6th, said the following:

There are two options for the extended warranty insurance:

· Extra 2 years (total 6 years) up to 120,000km: Total premium $3,477
· Extra 4 years (total 8 years) up to 160,000km: Total Premium $6,353.

I will note to send you the Terms and Conditions effective the 16th April 2018, this is when the Extended Warranty insurance offer commences.

*This quote is valid for 30 days from the date of this email

This was based on me living in Melbourne...I think this makes a difference.

-ECIT

@Dborn I didn't asked....however that is something I will request information on (as well if there is any excess per claim etc.).
While asking, another one which bothers me is the motorized strut opening the boot. That is another unit I can see failing from repeated use. Admittedly, I have seen no reports about that specific item failing. Less obvious but more expensive would be air suspension failure.
For the amount of dough you were quoted, I would expect them to be covered. They have not got back to me as yet.

I've just been quoted for this:
• Extra 2 years (total 6 years) up to 120,000km: Total Premium: $3,319
• Extra 4 years (total 8 years) up to 160,000km: Total Premium: $6,064
I asked how much premium would change if I took it up later (ie closer to expiry of standard warranty) and they aren't able to say. I presume it goes up with km/s, noting the various different quotes people here have mentioned.

But I do note the PDS excludes "wear and tear" -- that concerns me, couldn't virtually any mechanical fault which develops be deemed as wear and tear and a claim rejected ?
Certainly I've had one door handle go and I'm expecting another will go sooner or later, and that's the kind of thing I'd want the extended warranty for. Welcome any comments.

I received the below quote, my 2015 MS P90 D as just over 70,000 klms. I have requested but they still have not yet forwarded me a PDS.

I’m very interested in knowing what is and what isn’t covered - certainly won’t be paying anything until I do.

The quotation is as per below:

• Extra 2 years (total 6 years) up to 120,000km: Total Premium: $3,445

• Extra 4 years (total 8 years) up to 160,000km: Total Premium: $6,295

Last edited:
I clarified a few points with Redbook, namely (a) "wear and tear" definition and (b) need to prove servicing history, where Tesla don't mandate it. Their reply copied below -- pretty reasonable on face value, and combined with substantially lower price, they seem to be the way to go -- cheers @raynewman for referral.

‘Wear and tear’ refers to the gradual degradation of operating performance over time. As a car gets older, its performance will get slightly worse and worse over the years (power, torque, the odd squeak and rattle) . This is not what a warranty is designed to address.

Warranties are designed to cover the failure of a component (like your door handle for example). A door handle doesn’t wear out.

On the servicing question, our requirement is that servicing is done as recommended but the manufacturer. So if Tesla doesn’t require them, then nor do we. Relatively simple.

I have read the PDS for both Marsh (Insure my Tesla) and Redbook, they both cover the same components under the same conditions except, Redbook pay more for hotel accommodation, towing, car hire and have unlimited kilometre coverage.

When the extended warranty was announced by Tesla, I was led to understand that Marsh was going to be offering a introductory cheap extended warranty coverage. If this is it, I would hate to see what it is in the future.

Considering this and the premium is significantly less than Marsh. I'll be going with Redbook for my 2015 P90D . Details are below if anyone is interested

Marsh - Extra 4 years (total 8 years) up to 160,000km: Total Premium: $6,295

Redbook - Extra 3 years (total 7 years) UNLIMITED klms: Total Premium $2430

Reactions: baillies
I have read the PDS for both Marsh (Insure my Tesla) and Redbook, they both cover the same components under the same conditions except, Redbook pay more for hotel accommodation, towing, car hire and have unlimited kilometre coverage.

When the extended warranty was announced by Tesla, I was led to understand that Marsh was going to be offering a introductory cheap extended warranty coverage. If this is it, I would hate to see what it is in the future.

Considering this and the premium is significantly less than Marsh. I'll be going with Redbook for my 2015 P90D . Details are below if anyone is interested

Marsh - Extra 4 years (total 8 years) up to 160,000km: Total Premium: $6,295

Redbook - Extra 3 years (total 7 years) UNLIMITED klms: Total Premium $2430
I am so glad I read this post. I was just about to pull the trigger on the $6000 Marsh plan. I’ve done 69,000kms in just under two years, so needed the 160,000km plan even though I won’t need the 8 years.
I’ll contact Redbook for a quote right now.

Reactions: baillies and Vegas
I phoned them up and got the following for my S75D:
3yr $2430
2yr $1530
1yr $1040
One difference I think with the Marsh plan is that these plans start as soon as the Tesla policy finishes, ie go over 80,000kms.
So for example if I hit 80,000km after 2 years my Tesla warranty is finished, the Redbooks 3 yr warranty would effectively mean 5yr unlimited km.
Whereas the Marsh 160K 4yr would mean 8yr 160,000km.

Does anyone have a sense of any cost impact (say with Redbook) if you take up the cover later. Ie, I was quoted $2430 for 3 yrs too, on a S85 (2015) with 33000km. Assuming the cover starts when purchased, I'd prefer to take it out when the warranty is just about to expire, ie May 2019. If Redbook are pricing this at a fairly fixed rate as it seems, why would I but the cover now ? I assumed with Marsh the premium would go up with age/kms but they wouldn't tell me if that was the case or not.