Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla announces eight-year warranty for Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a sense of any cost impact (say with Redbook) if you take up the cover later. Ie, I was quoted $2430 for 3 yrs too, on a S85 (2015) with 33000km. Assuming the cover starts when purchased, I'd prefer to take it out when the warranty is just about to expire, ie May 2019. If Redbook are pricing this at a fairly fixed rate as it seems, why would I but the cover now ? I assumed with Marsh the premium would go up with age/kms but they wouldn't tell me if that was the case or not.

OK, answered my own question by emailing Redbook who replied quickly as below:
"The policy would commence at the end of your current policy, so June 2019.
The only real benefit to purchasing now is to lock in current pricing. In a year from now I can almost guarantee we’ll be more expensive.
Whether its June this year or next you’ll need a fresh quote, but that’s a 2 minute job."
Tesla/Marsh offering seems to be robbery compared with these guys.

Does anyone have a sense of any cost impact (say with Redbook) if you take up the cover later. Ie, I was quoted $2430 for 3 yrs too, on a S85 (2015) with 33000km. Assuming the cover starts when purchased, I'd prefer to take it out when the warranty is just about to expire, ie May 2019. If Redbook are pricing this at a fairly fixed rate as it seems, why would I but the cover now ? I assumed with Marsh the premium would go up with age/kms but they wouldn't tell me if that was the case or not.
The guy I spoke to at Redbook said I could buy it with an estimated start date, based on my current usage rate, then could email to delay or bring forward the start date.
I'm not sure what the benefit is, other than locking in the price.

OK, answered my own question by emailing Redbook who replied quickly as below:
"The policy would commence at the end of your current policy, so June 2019.
The only real benefit to purchasing now is to lock in current pricing. In a year from now I can almost guarantee we’ll be more expensive.
Whether its June this year or next you’ll need a fresh quote, but that’s a 2 minute job."
Tesla/Marsh offering seems to be robbery compared with these guys.
The question is what happens when it's mileage that takes you out of warranty?

With RedBook, if you take it after the existing warranty expires, there is a 90 day waiting period - price doean't seem to change.

Does anyone have any insight as to why Australia gets this rather special perk?

As far as I can tell, all other territories (including New Zealand) are still on the 4 year warranty (with 8 years for battery and drivetrain).

Are we likely to see an 8 year warranty rolled out to other territories, or does Tesla just really like Australia?

Does anyone have any insight as to why Australia gets this rather special perk?

As far as I can tell, all other territories (including New Zealand) are still on the 4 year warranty (with 8 years for battery and drivetrain).

Are we likely to see an 8 year warranty rolled out to other territories, or does Tesla just really like Australia?
Not sure if this is the reason, but I think under our Consumer Law, a product at this price would be expected to last more than 4 years, so they might have to provide free repairs beyond their stated warranty period anyway.

Hi. Does anyone think that the Extended Warranty in Australia (that is only offered through Marsh Advantage for Allianz insurance) is of good value? I got quotes for my Model X with 8,000km on the clock, for ~3,000 for 2 extra years (120,000km), or $6500 for an extra 4 years (160km). i.e. if I sold my Tesla in 4 years time, I think it would be worth more if I was selling it with some basic warranty still on it (battery/drivetrain aside which is 8 years as we know). Also, if you have got a quote too, was it more expensive if the car was older? I have heard that if you take out this insurance in the USA, it is expensive if the car is old.

Hi. Does anyone think that the Extended Warranty in Australia (that is only offered through Marsh Advantage for Allianz insurance) is of good value? I got quotes for my Model X with 8,000km on the clock, for ~3,000 for 2 extra years (120,000km), or $6500 for an extra 4 years (160km). i.e. if I sold my Tesla in 4 years time, I think it would be worth more if I was selling it with some basic warranty still on it (battery/drivetrain aside which is 8 years as we know). Also, if you have got a quote too, was it more expensive if the car was older? I have heard that if you take out this insurance in the USA, it is expensive if the car is old.
You have 4 years to think about it. You can buy the extended warranty at any time.
Maybe leave it up to the next buyer to decide.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tension
Carsales/Redbook is much better value.