Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Announces Plan to Triple Service Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_video link=”https://youtu.be/PBbzOBQmk-0″ video_title=”1″][vc_column_text]Tesla said today it will triple its service center capability, adding more than 100 new physical service centers, 350 new mobile service vans, and 1,400 new technicians around the world.

The company is looking for efficiency as it prepares for Model 3 customers who will soon be joining the fleet of Teslas on the road. The company claims the new plan will enable repairs in a Tesla shop to be completed four-times faster than a conventional shop. A video outlining the plan is above.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a free mobile tech visit today in central Illinois from one of the techs that will soon have regional responsibility for some region of Iowa. He currently comes out from one of the Chicago locations but has apparently agreed to move to Iowa as part of this initiative announced today. He said it will just be him, his van/truck, and a small parts shed/warehouse. He didn't mention an expresso machine :)

He did the park brake recall for me and the door handle replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    395.5 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: Falkirk and Bebop
I still don't see van only being enough for all of east TN with Nashville being the closest service center.

I won't be confident about buying a S/3/X until there is a service center less than 100 miles from my home.

So relevant to this thread, I'm waiting to see where those 100 new service centers end up.

I still don't see van only being enough for all of east TN with Nashville being the closest service center.
Well, the most important bit was the 90% of issues being figured out by remote diagnostics. So hopefully, that will reduce the number of physical service visits needed. Still though, the expectation is not for the user to have to deal with a troubleshooting tree.

I won't be confident about buying a S/3/X until there is a service center less than 100 miles from my home.

So relevant to this thread, I'm waiting to see where those 100 new service centers end up.
I live about 90 miles from the nearest service center (Rocklin, CA). It's an all day event to get service there but I've always had a loaner car. Service people at Rocklin are absolutely the best I've ever had for any of my cars. They are very conscientious and work to ensure I am satisfied. I've always been able to get an appointment within a week.
When I had my 48,000 mile service, the Reno/Sparks service center sent a flat bed truck, picked it up and returned it the same day. Great service. (This service center is kind of a secret since it's not listed on the web site. They told me they don't have facilities for people to deliver cars there so they do all the service by truck. They said that they are working on getting a location so they can have a full service center so I expect that will be one of the new service centers. It will be more convenient to me since it's only 50 miles.)
When I think about the work I have had done, I think that just about all of it could have been done from a mobile van. Nothing really required a car lift other than changing tires. It would be most convenient to me if the van just came to my house.

I have experienced mobile service from Tesla, although I don't know who provided it, because all that happened was that they fixed it while I was at work, and I never went to go look. I had an hourly job where I'm not even allowed to talk on the phone for personal reasons for more than about half a minute a day, and I was only allowed that high a level of phone use (30 seconds) because I had enough senior standing. I believe it was a loaner tire being put on, and I think that's done by their tow providers. But, essentially, all I had to do was inform them that a repair was necessary and where the car was, leave the car keys locked in the car (I suspect they will fix this insecurity soon now that they're integrating more mobile service), they called me when it was done so I could removely lock it (ditto), and that was it. When I got off work, I drove off, without a care in the world.

If this Mobile Service experience is really expanding to 80% of service for Tesla's current fleet of customer cars including more than just the tire swap capability I experienced and the flat repair experienced in the post at My experience with Tesla's new Mobile Service (documented with pictures), then I consider that a really great win. Although I still needed to be at least peripherally aware of what was going on, it saved me a huge amount of logistics, time, hassle, and extended expense. Of course, I still had to pay for reasonable service costs, but it got a lot diminished, due to my time cost benefits.

In my case, I did need to take my car in to the service station to get the loaner swapped out, but that is the part that I forsee being 100% taken care of by their new Mobile Service in the future, saving me 4 hours of my day in the future. The "Mobile Service" they mentioned in their latest Quarterly investor conference call sounds really great. It's available on IR.Tesla.Com, titled "Tesla Motors, Inc. Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results Q&A Conference Call Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 5:30 pm EDT ", and at 55:40, with answer at 56:45, where they announced this push to start deploying 80% of services using mobile service at customers' location(s), using mobile service trucks, presumably during the workday parked at your work parking lot or your home, and by the time you need to leave for work, it's done. It takes 80% of the volume out their existing service footprint so it allows future fleet growth to be serviced by the current footprint of service centers. It's better for customers. I'm sold, having experienced something analogous!!!!!

I don't think the above advertising video really does full justice to what they're bragging about in the quarterly call; basically, that they hope to get Mobile Service up and running to a point that it takes care of most service needs. Of course, the above advertising video is more prosaic about it because no one is certain if their ambitious plans and goals mentioned in the conference call will actually happen and on what timeline and for who; that way the ad doesn't over-promise. But, we can hope that a great deal of that experience will win out.

Currently, I don't have a Tesla car, and I'm surely missing it.

Last edited: