Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla AP+phantom braking vs what are best non-Tesla AP alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order on a MYLR, which I'm primarily buying for AP on my 100 mile round trip commute on interstate divided highways, After placing the order, I learned about phantom braking issues with radarless Tesla Vision and have read many PB threads here. Trying to figure out whether to look at another car.

When I rented a 2019 M3 (radar+camera) for a week on my commute, it worked great: no PB, lots more energy for the kids when I got home. But if there is some chance of PB with camera only AP, it won't help me save energy or lessen commuting fatigue. PB seems random enough depending on the car and situation that it's tough to predict unless I took delivery. That makes me increasingly nervous, on top of Tesla's reputation for poor service.

If your main purpose of buying a Tesla is for AP to save energy on an interstate highway commute, would you buy the Tesla even with the PB risk? What small-medium AWD SUVs or sedans with similar AP capabilities would you consider instead? All engine types are fine--AP capabilities and overall car reliability are the most important, and seat comfort next most important. Comma.ai/Openpilot didn't work for my car.

I have a 2018 model 3 rwd with 2022.4.5.21 FSD beta.
Just finished a 5000 mile trip from NH to TX and back.
Probably had PB maybe 10 times. Mostly seemed to occur at dusk.
When I first got the car bridges were a problem.
When I got the new computer upgrade I got braking from incoming traffic on highway. Now I move out of the right lane at exits/entrances or turn off AP.
Seems it will always be there. Most of the time when driving local I never encounter it.
Might be nice if you could turn it off.

Upvote 0