TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vendor Tesla API issue?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by toticdqs, May 8, 2018.

1. toticdqs

toticdqs Vendor

Hi,

a lot of cars are returning "vehicle unavailable" on TeslaSpy since 3 hours ago, the issue begin exactly at 2018-05-08 07:00:00 (UTC). This is a different issue that the last one (then the api didn't response). Anyone has problems with the Tesla app?

jordi

2. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

Yes, I have no connection through any apps or logging sites. At your site, it seemed to have stopped logging at 8:53 AM at Teslafi at 8:57 (GMT+1).

I'm guessing another API outage?

3. toticdqs

toticdqs Vendor

Sure. The response for all cars is:

{"response":null,"error":"vehicle unavailable: {:error=\u003e\"vehicle unavailable:\"}","error_description":""}

4. SeBsZ

SeBsZ Vendor

Same, official Tesla app shows 'Vehicle Connection Error' and no logging through my app is possible either. All vehicles are marked as offline and getting data results in

{
    "response": null,
    "error": "vehicle unavailable: {:error=>\"vehicle unavailable:\"}",
    "error_description": ""
    }

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Appears to be same as last time from a thread in Model X forum. Unfathomable. What part of this is so unique (yes, I hate that phrase too) that it can’t be moved to AWS or is so fragile that it breaks twice in the space of two weeks. .

6. SeBsZ

SeBsZ Vendor

I got off the call with Tesla and, after verifying I own a Tesla and my personal details matched, immediately admitted that they are experiencing difficulties at the moment. He repeatedly said nothing is wrong with my car and if it wasn't resolved by the end of the day to call again....

Wow.

7. boaterva

Apps seem to be working now...

• Like x 1
  8. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

#8 cellogig, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Why does the app become unavailable sometimes? Please keep it simple the response. Sorry if this is a stupid question but not in my line of work. I assume all apps need offline maintenance at some point? When does go down and comes back does the interface change for me on my end with my car and the app. If it does not then I assume an update does that.

9. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

There could be lots of reasons, we don't necessarily know what is happening inside the Tesla data center.

Sometimes equipment breaks, fans, power supplies and hard drives are the most common things that fail. Things are designed to be redundant (2 or more power cables, each on different circuits), but sometimes things don't work as you designed, or the guys that did the cabling put both cables on the same circuit.

Software has bugs, servers crash, applications have memory leaks, sometimes a software update doesn't go as planned. People make mistakes, routes get advertised out incorrectly, people pull the wrong cable out during maintenance, or have windows open on the development and production servers, and type a command into the wrong one.

I once saw a production database dropped (deleted) because of the last point there. That was a mess to fix.

• Informative x 1
  10. boaterva

We had all this conversation two weeks ago when this happened the first time. :) There is no reason for it not being massive redundant in AWS or elsewhere, and I was hoping this AM's 'outage' could have been a migration to AWS. Of course, anyone that did that correctly would have done it so the outage was about ten minutes as DNS migrated from whereever to Route53 (AWS DNS). No reason for several hours....

We shall see if anything good comes of it. We never got a good explanation of the first outage except maintenance, and, as I said then, NO one would do maintenance on the weekend of a consumer facing utility like this. Never. Unplanned Maintenance, sure, which means it blew up.

11. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Cleaner unplugged the server to plug in the vacuum cleaner.

• Funny x 1
  12. peteEvoke

peteEvoke New Member

Is there another issue with the Tesla API servers? Recently started getting "Our servers are waiting for a supercharger spot.." retyurned from API requests.

13. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

Site and network were down since 3:30 pm EST. site is up now. Not sure if all backend stuff is up yet.

14. peteEvoke

peteEvoke New Member

Thanks.Is there any status page that we can look at?

15. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

I just browse TMC. another thread posted an article.