Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla API issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

a lot of cars are returning "vehicle unavailable" on TeslaSpy since 3 hours ago, the issue begin exactly at 2018-05-08 07:00:00 (UTC). This is a different issue that the last one (then the api didn't response). Anyone has problems with the Tesla app?

jordi

Same, official Tesla app shows 'Vehicle Connection Error' and no logging through my app is possible either. All vehicles are marked as offline and getting data results in

{
"response": null,
"error": "vehicle unavailable: {:error=>\"vehicle unavailable:\"}",
"error_description": ""
}

I got off the call with Tesla and, after verifying I own a Tesla and my personal details matched, immediately admitted that they are experiencing difficulties at the moment. He repeatedly said nothing is wrong with my car and if it wasn't resolved by the end of the day to call again....

Wow.

Why does the app become unavailable sometimes? Please keep it simple the response. Sorry if this is a stupid question but not in my line of work. I assume all apps need offline maintenance at some point? When does go down and comes back does the interface change for me on my end with my car and the app. If it does not then I assume an update does that.

Last edited:
Why does the app become unavailable sometimes? Please keep it simple the response. Sorry if this is a stupid question but not in my line of work. I assume all apps need offline maintenance at some point? When does go down and comes back does the interface change for me on my end with my car and the app. If it does not then I assume an update does that.

There could be lots of reasons, we don't necessarily know what is happening inside the Tesla data center.

Sometimes equipment breaks, fans, power supplies and hard drives are the most common things that fail. Things are designed to be redundant (2 or more power cables, each on different circuits), but sometimes things don't work as you designed, or the guys that did the cabling put both cables on the same circuit.

Software has bugs, servers crash, applications have memory leaks, sometimes a software update doesn't go as planned. People make mistakes, routes get advertised out incorrectly, people pull the wrong cable out during maintenance, or have windows open on the development and production servers, and type a command into the wrong one.

I once saw a production database dropped (deleted) because of the last point there. That was a mess to fix.

• Informative
Reactions: cellogig
We had all this conversation two weeks ago when this happened the first time. :) There is no reason for it not being massive redundant in AWS or elsewhere, and I was hoping this AM's 'outage' could have been a migration to AWS. Of course, anyone that did that correctly would have done it so the outage was about ten minutes as DNS migrated from whereever to Route53 (AWS DNS). No reason for several hours....

We shall see if anything good comes of it. We never got a good explanation of the first outage except maintenance, and, as I said then, NO one would do maintenance on the weekend of a consumer facing utility like this. Never. Unplanned Maintenance, sure, which means it blew up.

We had all this conversation two weeks ago when this happened the first time. :) There is no reason for it not being massive redundant in AWS or elsewhere, and I was hoping this AM's 'outage' could have been a migration to AWS. Of course, anyone that did that correctly would have done it so the outage was about ten minutes as DNS migrated from whereever to Route53 (AWS DNS). No reason for several hours....

We shall see if anything good comes of it. We never got a good explanation of the first outage except maintenance, and, as I said then, NO one would do maintenance on the weekend of a consumer facing utility like this. Never. Unplanned Maintenance, sure, which means it blew up.

Cleaner unplugged the server to plug in the vacuum cleaner.

• Funny
Reactions: cellogig