TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla API Token Generator

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarcusMaximus, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Duke-U

Duke-U Member

I wonder, has nobody compiled this into a simple webpage or program to make this accessible for simple non-nerds? I think you solve a great security issue here...

2. Bernie298

Bernie298 BernardS

@Duke-U At this moment I am coding a simple webpage to create a token for third party applications.
    At this moment I used it for own purpose, I am rewriting it for public use. I'll keep you in touch

• Like x 1
  3. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

Can anyone that is familiar with Python 3.6 provide some instruction how to run the Teslatoken.py script that was posted in this thread? Perhaps the OP can jump in? I realize that there are other web based tools to do this instead of software like Python but using those third party websites brings up other security concerns.

4. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

5. JTO6543

JTO6543 New Member

Any more on how to execute the Python script that was posted for anyone new to Python?

6. Iluvpcs

Iluvpcs Supporting Member

FYI love postman. It has a converter to change to ruby, python, etc its https requests to about a dozen different languages. Been using that tool for years to create bash / curl and use in workflows for some low level automation. Tokens are nice as you can share them with others and depending on access they will not ever have your username / Password. Unless of course the token grants that in the host system for instance.

Sent from my iPhone

• Helpful x 1
  7. JTO6543

JTO6543 New Member

As in, I downloaded Python and installed it (from Download Python ). Then I open IDLE. Then, what command do I run to execute teslatoken.py and pass in a username and password?

8. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

I have a simple curl command I use, I can share it if it's worth it to folks.

• Like x 1
  9. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

#29 KarenRei, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    A question question about the API - is there no way to get tire pressure? I was reading through the docs:

Tesla Model S JSON API · Apiary

... and see nothing concerning it. Also nothing to read or adjust the nav. Are there more parameters that just aren't documented there?

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

How do you use this app to create the token? On a Mac and trying to figure this out. Thanks.

11. Klaus

Klaus Member

On the Mac you can use Platypus or Automator to wrap a shell script into an app. I use Platypus

• Informative x 1
  12. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Here you go, just replace <USERNAME> with your username for Tesla owner login and same for <PASSWORD>

curl -X POST -H "Cache-Control: no-cache" -H "Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundary7MA4YWxkTrZu0gW" -F "grant_type=password" -F "client_id=81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384" -F "client_secret=c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3" -F "email=<USERNAME>" -F "password=<PASSWORD>" "https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token"

13. JTO6543

JTO6543 New Member

@BigD0g thanks for the code. However when I try to execute in mac Terminal with a bogus username and password to test, I get:

curl -X POST -H "Cache-Control: no-cache" -H "Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundary7MA4YWxkTrZu0gW" -F "grant_type=password" -F "client_id=81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384" -F "client_secret=c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3" -F "[email protected]” -F "password=1234password” "https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token"

{"response":"{\"message\"=>\"object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object.\",_\"stacktrace\"=>\"___at_myteslawebservice.controllers.authenticationcontroller.<authenticate>d__1.movenext"}

Any other tips you can give to someone new to this?

14. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

It will only work with a valid username / password on a valid tesla owner account.

15. jto654

jto654 Member

Ok it just seems weird bc the error says " object_reference_not_set_to_an_instance_of_an_object " not "invalid username/password

16. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

I suspect that is Tesla playing games to prevent people discovering someone's username, and then being able to try to figure out their pwd. From what I can tell Tesla doesn't lock your account after 3 attempts, so if you can figure out the username, you can just go hog wild trying to figure out the password.

17. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

python teslatoken.py -e <mytesla email> -p <mytesla password>

18. FuzzyBabyDucks

FuzzyBabyDucks New Member

Its not python3 code so it'll run into a runtime error when trying to use it with python 3.

attached is an updated .zip with both python 2 and 3 versions:

Attached Files:

19. cconnoruk

cconnoruk New Member

Thank you this one worked perfectly for me :).

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. Requiem

Requiem Member

Thanks! This was the easiest method to me :)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1