Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla-apiscraper: Yet another selfhosted Teslog/Teslafi alternative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
many thanks @mephisto @mmmk @TonyT for your support.
unfortunately I'm too ignorant of Linux management to make it work and my trial and error process is leading nowhere.

Your really close, are you using the web browser on the computer your installed on? Actually this is the easiest part and you did all the hard stuff. I forgot to mention you will probably need to download the whole file set from github if you cant easily find the 3 json files. And this part has nothing to do with Linux.

Absolutely awesome! Spun it up with Docker on an older Mac Mini - worked great!

To show range in miles, edit the Dashboard, edit the variables, change the unit variable to “mi” and the range multiplier to 1.

Thanks again for the great work! — Dan

Absolutely awesome! Spun it up with Docker on an older Mac Mini - worked great!

To show range in miles, edit the Dashboard, edit the variables, change the unit variable to “mi” and the range multiplier to 1.

Thanks again for the great work! — Dan

I tried that before and I loose all my data. But I tried it again tonight and notice I only loose driving data, charging screen works in mi.

NM I figured it out. Cant use save, need to use update button after making the changes.

Your really close, are you using the web browser on the computer your installed on? Actually this is the easiest part and you did all the hard stuff. I forgot to mention you will probably need to download the whole file set from github if you cant easily find the 3 json files. And this part has nothing to do with Linux.
This is the part that really stuck me.
I'm using a win10 machine, with WSL enabled.
I go to lephisto/tesla-apiscraper click + / import repository and it asks me for an internet address! Which address should I use? i have no idea.
Alternatively I copied the content of the JSON files on newly created text files on my PC, and renamed them .json but now I do not know where to save them so that they can be visible to the scraper.

Sorry to be such a blockhead, I'm sure that for many of you the instructions on the website are straightforward and self-explanatory, but for me they sound like a sort of abracadabra that I repeat mechanically and hope for the magic to happen anyway!

This is the part that really stuck me.
I'm using a win10 machine, with WSL enabled.
I go to lephisto/tesla-apiscraper click + / import repository and it asks me for an internet address! Which address should I use? i have no idea.

Alternatively I copied the content of the JSON files on newly created text files on my PC, and renamed them .json but now I do not know where to save them so that they can be visible to the scraper.

Sorry to be such a blockhead, I'm sure that for many of you the instructions on the website are straightforward and self-explanatory, but for me they sound like a sort of abracadabra that I repeat mechanically and hope for the magic to happen anyway!

On lephisto/tesla-apiscraper Click the green "clone or download" button, then choose download zip. Copying the text should also be fine.

Once you have the files you browse to http://localhost:3000 or the IP of your computer if on a different computer on your network, gets a little more complicated once outside of your home, you will need to open a port on your firewall and use the public ip address from your router, probably best to use dynamicdns to make it easy to remember.

the you login Grafana with the admin account, admin/admin or what ever you change it to. That is where you find the "+" button to import, and upload the json.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: f205v
THANKS!
It's more and more like one of those old adventure games where you had to type the right command in the right sequence to overcome a trap or to get free from a dungeon!
Sorry, I'm a moron and I'm stuck again. Now I come to the point where I point grafana to the json files on my PC, but the "import" button is greyed out and can not be clicked. I presume the problem is in the "tesla" line on the panel that says "No data source of type InfluxDB found" and the drop-down menu doesn't give any other option.

By the way, I tried to skip this passage and move directly to the next one: "get API Scraper" (
git clone lephisto/tesla-apiscraper) which worked, but I'm also stuck here at the next command: Pick a release (
git checkout v2019.1) which pops an error: "fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git"

note to mods: if I'm wasting forum space and resources with my newbie questions, just let me know and I'll move to private messages (if @TonyT will be patient enough to support me further)

THANKS!
It's more and more like one of those old adventure games where you had to type the right command in the right sequence to overcome a trap or to get free from a dungeon!
Sorry, I'm a moron and I'm stuck again. Now I come to the point where I point grafana to the json files on my PC, but the "import" button is greyed out and can not be clicked. I presume the problem is in the "tesla" line on the panel that says "No data source of type InfluxDB found" and the drop-down menu doesn't give any other option.

By the way, I tried to skip this passage and move directly to the next one: "get API Scraper" (
git clone lephisto/tesla-apiscraper) which worked, but I'm also stuck here at the next command: Pick a release (
git checkout v2019.1) which pops an error: "fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git"

note to mods: if I'm wasting forum space and resources with my newbie questions, just let me know and I'll move to private messages (if @TonyT will be patient enough to support me further)

Data source for me was InfluxDB.

Which I think was defined earlier when looking at the datasource option and choosing InfluxDB, you will need to db details from when you created it, db name(tesla), user(admin), and pw(password you defined). You can probably use Basic Auth if you didn't customize anything

This is probably good info for people to reference. I had to muddle my way through this with educated guesses.

STOP reading the above post!
I figured it out!
BEFORE importing JSON in Grafana I had to "configuration / datasource" and point it to InfluxDB !
Now I imported the JSON files and can see the beautiful control panels (empty, obviously).
Will go on in the setup and let you know how far I can get.

many thanks @mephisto @mmmk @TonyT for your support.
unfortunately I'm too ignorant of Linux management to make it work and my trial and error process is leading nowhere.
Sorry if I caused any confusion. It's not my project I just thought the info would be useful for others. The advantage of the OP using established things like grafana and influx is we can find guides and such. If you still have problems after looking on youtube and the open and closed issues on github it doesn't hurt to post them.

I think I figured out the temperature units, with variables there appears to be a current and selected. If you change the value when you click Save there will be a "Save current variables" slider. That update the "current" variable.

u4X69rQ.png