Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App 3.10.2 Solar Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Anyone want to complain to Tesla about the continually shrinking solar impact graphs on the app? Again things have shrunk with 3.10.2 and this time the font of the kWh for the two bars is smaller (for no reason I can see (lol)).

The whole thing was shrunk a few releases ago, with plenty of real estate around it, and I have no idea what the point was.

Anyone have a rationale for this overall size reduction or font shrinkage?

I sent a note to Tesla (after finding the support area on the website, since there isn't one in the app), and got more or less the usual BS answer. First, they didn't even read what I wrote, and said 'they couldn't roll the update back' when I'd asked for the font to be returned to its former size at some future point.

Then I replied that this may not even meet ADA requirements, when it's so small on an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

That got me a 'can't do anything about it'.

Here's the current version; yours should have larger font, and a few months ago, should have had an almost full screen graph. Looks fine here, but on my phone, it's definitely a lot smaller than it used to be. :D

I *think* the dotted line connecting the two bars is new, not sure that was needed or not.

impact-graph.png

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Curious, I've seen a few screenshots like the above before, but I've never had any "Impact" screen that I've found on my app (current iOS, 3.10.2). How do you get to this? On the Home Energy Gateway page I see Power Flow, Performance, Backup History and Customize, and Power Flow has the button in the top-right to get to Energy Usage, but I don't see anything else. Also, what is the screen above trying to say (what's the point of the Impact screen)?

Curious, I've seen a few screenshots like the above before, but I've never had any "Impact" screen that I've found on my app (current iOS, 3.10.2). How do you get to this? On the Home Energy Gateway page I see Power Flow, Performance, Backup History and Customize, and Power Flow has the button in the top-right to get to Energy Usage, but I don't see anything else. Also, what is the screen above trying to say (what's the point of the Impact screen)?

I dont have an Impact screen either. Weird.

If you are on TBC, you get the Performance graph instead. I really wish they would show the offset for TBC settings. I can produce way more than I use during the day but my self-powered numbers are often low. An offset graph would provide additional information from the same data.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
I'm on backup only. Those of you that need to use the saved energy probably get the Performance version?

And what it shows is how much you generate vs. used. For net metering, we are always on backup only, and ideally most days you want to generate more that you use. And also (of course) we don't have TOU since we are net metering. We just want to balance the generation with usage.

Hope that helps.

I think we DO get the performance graph that I've seen from @MorrisonHiker when we are running on batteries, but I've not had a chance to run a full battery test.

(BTW, when the app starts up, it seems to decide on Performance vs. Impact, as I don't have either for a split second, then the Impact option pops into place.)

Ah. I'm on Self-powered, so I guess that means I get Performance. It really doesn't give any extra info, though. If you go to Energy Usage and only select Home and scroll below the graph you get the same percentages, just not in a single animated pie chart. So it's a bit flashier, but otherwise redundant.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva