Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App 3.10.3 Closing on its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibdb

Any excuse for a road trip
Apr 29, 2015
Puyallup, WA
We've had our Model 3 for nearly 18 months, and our S for about 4.5 years. I've used the app at least daily ever since we got our 3 and hundreds of times before that for the S. I say that to point out this isn't user error. I know what's supposed to happen and it's stopped and I don't know why.

In the last few days, instead of continuing to run in the background, ready to work like a key, the app has been closing. I don't see any error messages or any warnings from my phone. I get into the car like usual, only to get prompted to use my key card. If I open the Tesla app and close it immediately, the car recognizes my phone and I'm good to go again with the app going back to background status. I haven't been prompted by Android to change any permissions for the Tesla app. It hasn't just happened once or twice, it's happened multiple times every day.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ with the most recent security patches installed. The Tesla app is the most current available. The appearance of the problem does not align with updates to the phone or to the Tesla app. None of the other apps that I usually see running in the background have been affected.

Am I the only one seeing this behavior? My wife doesn't usually use the app, so I can't really test with her phone. She also has a number of work mandated security apps that interfere with any direct comparisons.

With my IOS updates, after the updates, sometimes I have to reboot or do a hard boot of the phone and this normally corrects any glitches.

IPhone 10 XS Max, same firmware with no issues, maybe someone with the Android will check in.

Fred

I did reboot my phone. Seemed to work for a few days, but twice today I've found the app has shut down for no apparent reason.

Never noticed this in the last 4.5 years, but it's now becoming something I check regularly to see if there might be a particular app I'm using that might be linked. So far, I can't find anything obvious.

I might try to logout and back in. Any other Android users out there seeing this odd behavior?

We've had our Model 3 for nearly 18 months, and our S for about 4.5 years. I've used the app at least daily ever since we got our 3 and hundreds of times before that for the S. I say that to point out this isn't user error. I know what's supposed to happen and it's stopped and I don't know why.

In the last few days, instead of continuing to run in the background, ready to work like a key, the app has been closing. I don't see any error messages or any warnings from my phone. I get into the car like usual, only to get prompted to use my key card. If I open the Tesla app and close it immediately, the car recognizes my phone and I'm good to go again with the app going back to background status. I haven't been prompted by Android to change any permissions for the Tesla app. It hasn't just happened once or twice, it's happened multiple times every day.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ with the most recent security patches installed. The Tesla app is the most current available. The appearance of the problem does not align with updates to the phone or to the Tesla app. None of the other apps that I usually see running in the background have been affected.

Am I the only one seeing this behavior? My wife doesn't usually use the app, so I can't really test with her phone. She also has a number of work mandated security apps that interfere with any direct comparisons.

I am not sure if I’m having the same issue but I’ve found that I have to physically take my phone out of my pocket in order for the car to unlock. Prior to this just proximity would allow the car to unlock.

I have an iPhone 11

iOS 13.2.2 is iPhone
Which is why I haven't installed it.

;)

:D

I come from an IT background. I'm usually pretty good about troubleshooting odd software things. This is one of the odd ones that has me looking for more information. I was trying to figure out if other Android users were having similar issues, or if there's something else going on that is specific to my phone. So far, given the responses, I'm looking back at my phone as the issue.

Which is why I haven't installed it.

;)

:D

I come from an IT background. I'm usually pretty good about troubleshooting odd software things. This is one of the odd ones that has me looking for more information. I was trying to figure out if other Android users were having similar issues, or if there's something else going on that is specific to my phone. So far, given the responses, I'm looking back at my phone as the issue.
I have a Samsung S8 and a M3 LR. This problem has been intermittent since I got the car 15 months ago. I am also an IT guy. I suspect it's something to do with the bluetooth interface. Sometimes, if I have the phone in my right pocket, I have to take it out and wave it around...they the car opens. Other times, the phone lets me in the car but (if it's in my left pocket) it asks for the card. Again, take the phone out and wave it around or put it on the console and it's recognized. It is annoying.