Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App and Interior Temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recommend buying a sunshade for the windscreen area if parking outside on hot days. I read somewhere (haven't noticed this myself yet as summer temps haven't started yet) that it keeps a min of 20deg reduction.
This one I bought from amazon functions fine, but I would have preferred a Tesla made foldable one perhaps (like what I had on my BMW 5 series).

IMG_5882.jpg IMG_5883.jpg FullSizeRender 7.jpg IMG_5881.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Thanks for the photos phaduman. I've looked at a sunshade for the windshield and it's nice to see it used with a dashcam. The rear lift gate area is another area of concern. With the MS sometimes including 3rd row seats, I'm really surprised this window area doesn't have IR protection. For me that would have been the preferred way to control heat from there.

Update on the Tesla app:

My Model S finally shows the interior temperature. It NEVER showed the temperature until I tried to use the app to change the interior temperature. Since this, the interior temperature shows up.

I've had our S P85 with a sunroof in Texas for 4 years, parking outside during the summers.

Using a combination of venting the roof and using the smartphone app to turn on the A/C a few minutes before returning to the car, the car is always comfortable by the time we get in the car.

We haven't seen any need to add more tinting or using a sunshade - for either our S P85 or new S 100D.

And with the COP, it should keep the car from ever getting too hot inside. The sunscreen won't prevent the car from heating up, it only slows down the rate the interior heats up - and if parked outside all day, the car will likely still get hot enough with a sunscreen to trigger COP.

Thanks for the photos phaduman. I've looked at a sunshade for the windshield and it's nice to see it used with a dashcam. The rear lift gate area is another area of concern. With the MS sometimes including 3rd row seats, I'm really surprised this window area doesn't have IR protection. For me that would have been the preferred way to control heat from there.

I always tint my cars. So the rear windshield has quite a dark tint. I have the rear-viewing dashcam too and it is able to pick up videos in the day-time just fine, but not much during night time (a tradeoff for me...). Tint: 70% front, 18% back windows and 5% rear.
my-tesla.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Unfortunately it won't work for us but looks nice with your white car.

Both the windshield and lift gate windows give off a lot of heat inside the cabin. We really don't want dark tinting on our car for a few reasons--can't put on windshield legally in Calif, does restrict your vision at night, and as I understand makes looking at traffic in your auto dimming rear view mirror (and side view mirrors) hard to see. People who are aging and start to develop cataracts will also have problems at night I would think. What we really want from manufacturers is just a nearly clear untinted film with just IR. One detailer we stopped at said that unfortunately people don't seem to want something without a decent tint value in it, so they don't carry it. Looked on line and really couldn't find anyone manufacturing something like that.