Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App and sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY 048XXX is having a hard time sleeping. Initially the car went to sleep pretty consistently 42 minutes after being parked at home. About 2 weeks ago it stopped going to sleep. I'm not sure what caused this behavior to change.

I know that using the app prevents the car from going to sleep (or waking it up). I've restrained myself from using the app to check on the status of the car, Now I use TeslaFi to monitor the car and I've gone through all the suggestions offered by TeslaFi to improve the situation to no avail.

Last week I replaced the wifi hardware, hoping that would solve the problem. (The car was being serviced by an "extender" with not-great-signal.) Now I have great wifi signal at the parking spot. Almost immediately the car went to sleep once I activated the wifi. Then the non-sleeping issue came back about 6 hours later.

Two days ago I found out that my wife's phone has the Tesla App running unbeknownst to her. Not sure why it was on, but I deleted the app shortcut so she couldn't access the app accidentally. I shut the app down (not sign out) and the car went to sleep for about 6 hours. Then the car went back to it's insomnia-tic ways.

Today, as an experiment, I removed the Tesla App from both our phones and lo - the car went almost immediately to sleep. Not convinced the two actions are related, but they could be I suppose.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my dilemma? Could this be related to the app? The app was installed on 2 Android Galaxy 9 phones before we actually got the car. My current software version is 2020.44.25. We'll be using our "cards" for the time being and see if the issue resurfaces.

thanks for any help.

I have an other question regarding "sleeping mode". Since fw 2020.44.25, when I start the Tesla App, a message tells that the car is waking-up and it takes some time to get the info. It was not the case before. When the car is sleeping, can you still get software update (during night) ? Wifi is available with a strong signal.

Removed the Tesla App (not teslafi) from our phones. Car went to sleep 42 min later (as it had done in the past).
Woke the car up by climbing in. Reinstalled App on one phone. Reconnected as a "key".
Car went to sleep 42 min later and has stayed asleep.
So my working theory is that something funky went on with the app. Time will tell.

An update - the car is still sleeping properly. After 48 hours of proper behavior I reintroduced my phone to the car. The car continues to sleep properly. (Still have Teslafi with it's default sleep settings).

Took a mini-road trip on Monday (~400 mi) and upon return, the car charged back up to 75%, the level I've set it to. After completing the charge cycle the car waited 42 minutes and went to sleep.

Today will be a normal day, one drive planned.

If all remains proper, I'm going to give it another 2 days before I reintroduce my wife's phone. I do have the new software update waiting for installation, 2020.48.10, but I'll hold off, not wanting to introduce another variable.

One thing of note - having disconnected the phones from the car, the contact list from my wife's phone remained in the car. My phone would not link my contact list to the car. I had to go into the car's blue tooth section and delete both the phones, then add access to my phone's contact. Not sure why the phones remained in the car's memory, but that may be a bluetooth characteristic.