Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App and SolarEdge Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I think that Tesla may be correct that enabling layout view involves giving the account more privileges (which are not accessible from the app, however). It is true that Tesla is the one who has to authorize enabling that feature, but SolarEdge support is able to do it too, since it's their system that has to be changed. You could try begging SolarEdge to do it for you, but if they say no you may be out of luck. As I said, SolarEdge support was who ended up switching it on for me, but my installer would also have done it if they had known how.

I spoke with Tesla support and they submitted my request for management approval with the stipulation that they are not liable for any data shown from the Solar Edge app or connectivity issues regarding the SolarEdge app. Said it can take a couple of days for approval.

I also have SolarEdge inverter and i cant see panel layout. I am just curious for myself difference of production between south and north, pvwatts say around 33% or so for during year here in Los Angeles, CA. Maybe a call to local installer first. thanks for the info

It's silly for solar installers to try to avoid giving their customers access to panel-level monitoring. Personally, as a homeowner with trees that cause partial shading, that'd be a "make or break" factor in deciding on a solar installer. Over the years, I want to be able to quantify how and where the shade is affecting production, and decide on tree trimming accordingly. I also want to see the panel-by-panel effects of tree litter or snow patches on the roof.

Late last summer, we had a bid from Tesla Energy to install panels at another house. Tesla did promise me that I would be able to access panel-level monitoring data from SolarEdge, and my interactions with Tesla were generally quite positive. However, I ended up going with a different installer primarily because Tesla declined to include the Main Panel Upgrade in their contract; I was willing to pay somewhat more to give the business to Tesla, but not if I had to deal with two separate contractors and two separate permits. On the other hand, it would have been nice to be able to use the Tesla app for that property as well, as it's great for monitoring home usage in addition to overall solar production. I guess that could still be a possibility if we later install a Powerwall there.

Ideally, perhaps Tesla could include panel-level monitoring in their app or on tesla.com!

Unfortunately I think that Tesla may be correct that enabling layout view involves giving the account more privileges (which are not accessible from the app, however). It is true that Tesla is the one who has to authorize enabling that feature, but SolarEdge support is able to do it too, since it's their system that has to be changed. You could try begging SolarEdge to do it for you, but if they say no you may be out of luck. As I said, SolarEdge support was who ended up switching it on for me, but my installer would also have done it if they had known how.

Tesla granted me access to the SolarEdge app today, but it did not have panel-level permissions enabled, so now I have to move on to step #2 it seems.

Did you have to take a certain approach or ask in a specific way?

I got on the phone and asked under solar technical support. At first, the person on the phone was resistant, as she said it was only supposed to be something they provided if there was a valid reason like having a problem with the system, but then she caved and put me on hold and said that I had to understand that basically Tesla was not responsible for any data I got from their app. I got an email for access a few days later but as of now it really doesn't give me any data I didn't have already. I don't have panel-level access yet.

I got on the phone and asked under solar technical support. At first, the person on the phone was resistant, as she said it was only supposed to be something they provided if there was a valid reason like having a problem with the system, but then she caved and put me on hold and said that I had to understand that basically Tesla was not responsible for any data I got from their app. I got an email for access a few days later but as of now it really doesn't give me any data I didn't have already. I don't have panel-level access yet.
Are you able to get your hands on the site ID and API key via the SolarEdge web interface in order to connect to PVOutput?

I have SolarEdge app and my app shows panel detail read-only mode. My system was not installed by Tesla, I used a Tesla authorized dealer. See below

Attachments

• 2620CF48-B4C5-4AAA-8EC0-22828F7CA001.png
    2620CF48-B4C5-4AAA-8EC0-22828F7CA001.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 259
Nope.

Called Solaredge and they said only Tesla can enable that feature. Called Tesla and they said that what I'm asking for is "layout view" and they don't give any customers that. Support guy talked to his manager and came back and said something that's so insane I can't really reconstruct it but was basically "People only use that information to modify their system which would violate the terms/warranty".

I explained that my friends, logged in as homeowners, not contractors, have that view in their Solaredge app. He said you guys shouldn't, and whoever gave it to you is going to get into trouble.

I have a bad feeling about winning this battle. I don't even know which company to try again with...

I have the Solar Edge and can see the array. The solar contractor sets all that up for you when they install, so Tesla should do it if they installed. It took them a day or so to complete that. It was EXTREMELY useful because an optimizer failed a few weeks after the install, and I could easily identify which one. Our installer came out with a replacement, and it made the whole process easy.

IMG_2091b.png

I can also see the array on the web page.

I can also see my Powerwalls from my PC, in addition to my app.

For that I had to find the IP address for the Powerwall gateway, then edit the HOSTS file, which is at
c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Edit the hosts file with Notepad 'as an administrator'.
My entry was the IP address and the certificate name 'teg' . The documentation says it should be teg-xxx with xxx being the last 3 of your Gateway serial number, but mine was simply 'teg'

192.168.114.216 teg

TEG.PNG

Good luck!

I was able to get access by contacting Solaredge directly. They gave me the installer needs to provide access a few times. I kept hitting back with i own the equipment, why cant i have access to my equipment. Eventually they just gave me access. My local Tesla installers don't even know what i'm talking about. As such my panels are arranged in a layout to reflect their installation location. It's a start though.

Reactions: abasile
As such my panels are arranged in a layout to reflect their installation location. It's a start though.

Do you mean the layout matches your installation layout? My layout is messed up. It is a straight line when my physical layout is in 3 rows. I don't know which virtual panel matches up to which real panel. It also makes it impossible for me to view all the panels at once since they won't fit on the screen without the text being too small to read. Any way to fix this?

Do you mean the layout matches your installation layout? My layout is messed up. It is a straight line when my physical layout is in 3 rows. I don't know which virtual panel matches up to which real panel. It also makes it impossible for me to view all the panels at once since they won't fit on the screen without the text being too small to read. Any way to fix this?
Mine are like yours, all in a line on the app. The installer is supposed to set this up. From what i can tell this varies from individual installer since my installers didnt even know what i was talking about when requesting access, and other have said theirs configured the layouts. I might go up on the roof and block each panel one by one to figure out the pattern in the app if Tesla wont configure it for me, which i doubt they will.

The installer should configure this for you. If you look at my app screenshot above, I have 2 banks of 30 panels, and they have them set up just as I would look at them from the ground. The installer's Solar Edge site is how they get set up like this. You may need to get with Solar Edge to allow you to reconfigure the appearance.

On the users web site, you can run a cine loop that shows each panel from the beginning of the day to the end. That way you can see what the effect of adjacent structures and trees are on your panels.

But for that to make sense, you need the panels arranged properly.

Yes, your installer SHOULD have done this for you.

The installer should configure this for you. If you look at my app screenshot above, I have 2 banks of 30 panels, and they have them set up just as I would look at them from the ground. The installer's Solar Edge site is how they get set up like this. You may need to get with Solar Edge to allow you to reconfigure the appearance.

On the users web site, you can run a cine loop that shows each panel from the beginning of the day to the end. That way you can see what the effect of adjacent structures and trees are on your panels.

But for that to make sense, you need the panels arranged properly.

Yes, your installer SHOULD have done this for you.
Fully agree with you. Was your installer Tesla though? I can't say my experience with Tesla Energy department has been all that responsive or knowledgeable.

Fully agree with you. Was your installer Tesla though? I can't say my experience with Tesla Energy department has been all that responsive or knowledgeable.

My system was not installed by Tesla. While negotiating the price and terms of my installation, I told them that I needed to have the app and cloud access to the Solar Edge site. They made it sound like that was automatic, and would happen without asking. They had a person back at their headquarters who was responsible for setting it up, and it didn't happen until 2 or 3 days after commissioning and startup. They had to call me with the URL, user name, and password.

You would think that Tesla would do this automatically as well. It appears to be an industry-wide standard and expectation.

Make it clear to them that they are deviating from the standard of customer care on this.

I had an independent contractor install my system, and he set up the Solar Edge account for me. The physical layout shows the panels as they are actually laid out.

As near as I can tell, I get the same information on the iOS app as I get on their web site, except that the icon to see the panels is hidden at the bottom of the page on the app but is near the top on the web site.

My system was not installed by Tesla. While negotiating the price and terms of my installation, I told them that I needed to have the app and cloud access to the Solar Edge site. They made it sound like that was automatic, and would happen without asking. They had a person back at their headquarters who was responsible for setting it up, and it didn't happen until 2 or 3 days after commissioning and startup. They had to call me with the URL, user name, and password.

You would think that Tesla would do this automatically as well. It appears to be an industry-wide standard and expectation.

Make it clear to them that they are deviating from the standard of customer care on this.
Give me a few weeks to try and get a response from a real person at Tesla...