Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App and SolarEdge Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this in a different thread but I think it bears repeating here: I have the Tesla app and I have the Solar Edge app and web site access. (I cannot make changes, but I can view the panel layout and all the rest.) The Tesla app shows Powerwall SoC, which Solar Edge does not (I think Solar Edge doesn't see the PW except as part of the house.) The Tesla app also shows the power flow at the moment and seems consistent with what I'd expect, given what's drawing power at the moment.

But the daily totals shown on the Tesla app are way out of line with the totals shown on the Solar Edge app and web site. As an example, for yesterday Tesla shows home usage as 23.2 kWh and solar energy as 19 kWh. It shows 10.1 kWh from PW and 11.6 kWh to PW. And 0.2 kWh from grid and 0.3 kWh to grid. But Solar Edge shows System Production as 39.56 kWh with 0.51 kWh exported to the grid, and it shows Consumption as 39.26 kWh with 0.21 kWh imported from the grid.

The Solar Edge numbers are somewhat higher than my average daily usage from my June utility bill, before the solar was installed, this being a warmer month with more A/C usage.

The pattern is consistent, with Tesla showing numbers well below Solar Edge's numbers, and Tesla's numbers not adding up. I believe that Tesla's totals are extremely inaccurate, though I'm relying on Tesla to show me the state of charge of the Powerwalls.

The cottage uses about half as much energy as the house, but the general pattern is the same, with the Tesla app giving numbers that are too low and don't add up and are out of line with what I'd expect based on last month's utility bill. And the cottage is actually using more energy now that the renter can leave the A/C on during the day for free, which makes Tesla's numbers even more out of line with what I'd expect .

But the daily totals shown on the Tesla app are way out of line with the totals shown on the Solar Edge app and web site. As an example, for yesterday Tesla shows home usage as 23.2 kWh and solar energy as 19 kWh. It shows 10.1 kWh from PW and 11.6 kWh to PW. And 0.2 kWh from grid and 0.3 kWh to grid. But Solar Edge shows System Production as 39.56 kWh with 0.51 kWh exported to the grid, and it shows Consumption as 39.26 kWh with 0.21 kWh imported from the grid.
I've been monitoring and logging my system since you've brought this up. I have an Eagle-200 so I can baseline the utility's numbers vs Tesla's.

Tesla's Grid usage numbers on my setup, the total (FromGrid - ToGrid) has been consistently ~700 watt below the actual utility number over the last 7 days.

I can't speak for Solar-usage because Telsa heavily rounds the number, but it's the same kWh vs the cumulative sum off my micro-inverters. For Home-usage, I have no way other way to monitor, and I'd assume Battery-usage is accurate.

So, if this inconsistency is consistent, your grid numbers are 0.2 - 0.3 + 0.7 = 0.6 kWh from-grid usage.

Who did you ask at Tesla for SolarEdge Portal access? I am waiting for National Grid to install a new meter but I would like to have this done as soon as I am giving PTO.
I just called the Tesla Solar technical support line at 877-961-7652. If you haven't got PTO yet then I would suggest waiting atleast a week after PTO before calling Tesla. If you ask now your request most likely will be rejected.

I've been monitoring and logging my system since you've brought this up. I have an Eagle-200 so I can baseline the utility's numbers vs Tesla's.

Tesla's Grid usage numbers on my setup, the total (FromGrid - ToGrid) has been consistently ~700 watt below the actual utility number over the last 7 days.

I can't speak for Solar-usage because Telsa heavily rounds the number, but it's the same kWh vs the cumulative sum off my micro-inverters. For Home-usage, I have no way other way to monitor, and I'd assume Battery-usage is accurate.

So, if this inconsistency is consistent, your grid numbers are 0.2 - 0.3 + 0.7 = 0.6 kWh from-grid usage.

My bigger concern is that the total solar production for yesterday according to Tesla is 19 kWh but according to Solar Edge it's 39 1/2 kWh. Since the electric meter shows that I'm drawing negligible power from the grid, and there's no way I only used 19 kWh, running the A/C on a hot, sunny day, I know that Tesla's numbers are just utterly and completely worthless.

Even Tesla's own numbers show they are worthless: 23.2 kWh used, 19 kWh produced, and negligible differences to/from either the grid or the Powerwalls.

As a separate matter, when I see how horrible Tesla's service and response times are, I'm really glad that Tesla does not have their own installers here on Maui, because my experience with both my Tesla cars has been superb, and I'd have used Tesla for my solar install if I could have. Instead I used an independent installer who came highly recommended, and I've been very happy with him. When I had an issue he responded almost immediately, and fixed it.

OTOH, Solar Edge does not tell me how much power is flowing at this moment, which Tesla does, and Tesla's numbers for this seem correct. So, Solar Edge for totals and Tesla for a snapshot of now.

My bigger concern is that the total solar production for yesterday according to Tesla is 19 kWh but according to Solar Edge it's 39 1/2 kWh.
I wonder if one of the CT sensors has fallen off/malfunctioned? Presumably you get 240/120 power via 2 phases, so there should be two hot wires, each with its own CT sensor. With the numbers being about 50%, makes me wonder if one of the phases is not being measured?

I wonder if one of the CT sensors has fallen off/malfunctioned? Presumably you get 240/120 power via 2 phases, so there should be two hot wires, each with its own CT sensor. With the numbers being about 50%, makes me wonder if one of the phases is not being measured?

Has anybody else with a Tesla gateway and Solar Edge inverters compared the numbers from the Tesla app and the Solar Edge app or web site?

Has anybody else with a Tesla gateway and Solar Edge inverters compared the numbers from the Tesla app and the Solar Edge app or web site?
If you can get to the Wizard interface on the Gateway, the CTs screen should be able to tell you if something is mis-installed.

I used it to find my installer had reversed a solar CT.

However, this doesn't explain your saying it matches your SolarEdge. This suggests a consumption CT could be reversed.

The nice part about Neurio CTs are they're labled on one side, so it helps to orient them properly. For me, my solar CT labels are facing away from the breakers on the lines, with label-side pointing toward solar-source. On consumption side, they're facing away from the breakers on the line.

Last edited:
Note that in the above, the house and the cottage are completely separate systems. One day, one of the readings for the cottage matched between Tesla and SE, but for the week they were way off. For the house nothing seems to match.

My solar contractor will be off island for 2 or 3 weeks, but when he comes back I will ask him about all of this. I suppose some of this could be explained if the appliances using 240 v (A/C compressor, stove, clothes dryer) are being measured improperly. But that does not explain why production figures do not agree.

The main thing is that I've got all the electricity I can use and more, and my electric meter is showing that I'm drawing almost nothing. So the system is performing as expected. The monitoring may be a bit haywire, but that's a small matter, especially since I can get the numbers I want. I just have to use the Tesla app for some of them and the Solar Edge web site for some of them.

Reactions: NuShrike
I have a Tesla solar system and the solar edge monitoring access. As stated before in the thread, it’s very limited and doesn’t show any info beyond what the Tesla app shows. My numbers appear to be off as well but for some reason the SE monitoring doesn’t update very often - my last update was amount a month ago. Does anyone know how to make it update manually? Pulling the screen down doesn’t work. I’ve been after per panel monitoring and mapping for a long time but Tesla won’t grant that permission because it will “void my warranty.” There is a solar edge mapping app that i haven’t tried yet but it appears to be the way to set it up. Has anyone tried this?

No. It only shows logical layout at the moment. However, I took a physical layout picture of the panel IDs so from the logical layout I can tell which panel is sitting where on my roof. I will call Tesla to see if I can also get physical layout feature added to my access.

Were you able to get any info from Tesla regarding your layout? If they did, are you able to construct the layout in the app or online?

I put in my request for SolarEdge access a couple days ago, so expecting it soon. I really need this access as the Tesla system is in addition to an older Sunpower system, and I would otherwise have no way to individually monitor the Tesla array.

Were you able to get any info from Tesla regarding your layout? If they did, are you able to construct the layout in the app or online?

I put in my request for SolarEdge access a couple days ago, so expecting it soon. I really need this access as the Tesla system is in addition to an older Sunpower system, and I would otherwise have no way to individually monitor the Tesla array.

No, I haven't ask yet. As I mentioned, it is not a big deal for me as I have a physical picture reference of all the panels.

I was not getting 'consumption' details on my SolarEdge account and Tesla has identified an issue with the Powerblaster setup. So they are coming next week to fix that. When they come, I will also see if I can get monitoring by physical layout added to my account.

Having completed my first calendar month with solar I can report the following numbers from Solar Edge, for the calendar month of July, 2019:

For my house, which has 32 panels and two Powerwalls:

Produced: 1.07 MWh
Consumed: 1.07 MWh
Exported to grid: 0.01MWh
Imported from grid: 0.01 MWh

However, they seem to be rounding to three significant figures because looking at the daily numbers, I actually imported closer to 6 kWh and exported around 11 kWh.

For the cottage, which is a completely separate system, with 16 panels and one Powerwall, and the renter is at work all day except weekends, and so uses most of her energy at night and sometimes depletes the Powerwall:

Produced: 527 kWh
Consumed: 569 kWh
Exported to grid: 8 1/2 kWh
Imported from grid: 49 1/2 kWh.

Anything under 37 kWh from the grid is covered within the $25 monthly minimum, and anything over that is charged at 31.3¢/kWh

I'm quite happy with this.

An unrelated question about the Tesla app (on my iPad):

I open the app and it's on the page that shows the Powerwall for the cottage, which right now, at just before 6:00 a.m., is at 0% because with the heavy overcast yesterday it only reached about 60% charged, and because the renter gets home from work around sunset and most of her usage comes from the one Powerwall for the cottage.

I scroll up and click on Customize. I scroll all the way to the bottom of the page where is says Storm Watch.

Storm Watch is enabled (don't know whether by default or if I selected this and forgot I'd ever seen it). (There is a tropical storm headed our way and another that just passed us.)

There's an icon of a cloud with lightning, surrounded by an orange circle and an orange triangle with an exclamation point, and a repeating "wave" circle moving outward from it. Below that there's an icon of the Powerwall surrounded by a green circle. If I turn "Storm Watch" off, the animated expanding circle around the storm cloud icon stops. But touching either the storm cloud icon or the Powerwall icon does nothing. The cottage is drawing 500 watts from the grid (because the Powerwall) is empty, but it's not charging the Powerwall.

Can anybody tell me what any of this means? Maybe it's trying to tell me that even though Storm Watch is on, it's not functioning? Or merely that with the storm a couple of days away it doesn't need to charge up yet? It's that triangle with the exclamation point that has me baffled, and the fact that touching it doesn't give me any message or options.

I'm seeing the same thing for the house except that the Powerwall for the house is at 56% because even though it didn't reach 100% yesterday with the overcast, I don't use much power after sunset.

Those are simply the icons they put on the customize page, they don't mean anything. I'm in sunny conditions with no events coming and see the same thing (in fact with Storm Watch off and going to that page the orange circle animated until I turned it on then off again). There have been other pictures on this forum, it actually says Storm Watch either on the "top" page (where it shows the solar & powerwall, or maybe in the Power Flow page when it's active. I haven't seen it myself, and have Storm Watch turned off since I don't see myself needing it.

Hmm. So does Storm Watch actually do anything? Maybe they plan to implement it at some time? Of course, there's the question of where they'll get the forecast from. And I'd only want to have it activate in case of an actual storm warning, not just for a watch.

It won't actually do anything unless the NWS issues a storm watch/warning for your area. From reading here and on FB, it seems to be working quite well and regularly, but it totally depends on the weather forecast. Your only control is to opt in/out.

Powerwall Support | Tesla

I'm sure Maui has storms strong enough that they "could" knock down power lines, so it shouldn't be long before the system gets tested.