Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App (android) not showing location info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

i thinkt this occured after the previous update (not te latest update, but that did not fix it).

If i open the app, normally right underneath the "LOCATION" button, the location of the tesla (in my case, a Model 3) would be visible: direction and street name.
now, that info is gone.

when i press "LOCATION" it opens the map, and the position is correct on the map. Speed is also shown. but straat name and direction are NOT.....

If i reboot my phone it is back for a short time, but after that, it is gone again :(
and yes, if i reboot again, it repeats itself ;)

already tried re-installing the app.... but does not help.

anyone else got this problem??

i am using a Oneplus 7T-pro
was working perfectly for a couple of months (drive this car since the beginning of april this year).

I am not sure of this, but it's possible that at least direction, so maybe also street name, would only be available when the car is actually driving. I know the car's location does not refresh when you are parked...
You are right on the first part, normally when the car was parked, the location (street name, no direction) was visible, but not anymore.
Also when the car is moving, there is no info visible, only the arrow on the map when you press on "LOCATION" on the main screen.

When i reboot my phone, the info is visible for some time, but after a while it is gone again.

By the way, all other info is visibile on the main screen!
So the temperature is shown under "Climate Control"
Status of the phone key is shown under "Phone Key"
and status of the centry mode and windows and such under "control"

Ok, I don't know what else to say. Now, the question is: is this issue important enough for you to warrant a service call? I have to admit I've only used this when I let one of my sons drive the car, to know where he went and how fast he was going. Even then, I clicked on location and was looking at the map as he was driving. I don't think I ever needed the (missing) address. So, how bad do you need this? :)

Ok, I don't know what else to say. Now, the question is: is this issue important enough for you to warrant a service call? I have to admit I've only used this when I let one of my sons drive the car, to know where he went and how fast he was going. Even then, I clicked on location and was looking at the map as he was driving. I don't think I ever needed the (missing) address. So, how bad do you need this? :)

Agree this is not the worst thing which can happen. But making a service call is not only important to @BadBert but is also a signal to Tesla. Without these signals, (small) defects will never be remediated.

i already reported this to Tesla, but they say they can't do anything about it because they dont have any knowledge of the mobile app, just the car....
they suggested i reset the car and remove the app, but that did not help.

it is not super important, but if there is something that does not work, but this should work, i want it to be functional ;) LOL

my wife has a OnePlus 9, and on her phone it also works :)

I have tried the following, after some more tips from Tesla Support:
- delete cash for Tesla App
- delete storage for Tesla App
- Remove tesla App
- Reboot phone (this step seems to be the key to the solution)
- Re-install the Tesla App

i did this yesterday afternoon and so far, the app is working like it should.
i'll keep an eye on it to see if it stays that way :)

EDIT: aaaaaand it's gone....
Was working great untill i opend the location (so the map) on the app. At that point the street name vanished from the map screen and the main screen of the app.

Last edited:
Tested it again on my wife's phone, and when i open the location on hers, it also disappears....
so as long as you only open the app, you see the location.
When you open the location, the text goes away and does not come back untill you reboot the phone (android).

Hope this will be fixed in the next update!

@Vipercat yeah, the location on the map and direction it is facing is shown as intended, just the streetname and number (and on the home screen of the app, the direction it is driving) is not :(

i understand there is a big update comming for the android app (the IOs version already is updated), we'll see if it is fixed in that version ;)