Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App connection down (California)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
early.jpg

Reactions: jboy210
Just about 9/10 days ago, I hit the (for me anyway) Magical moment in the year where, on a "normal, sunny day" my PV production covers my daily house usage in its entirety.

From "sometime in mid feb to beginning of march" till " sometime around the middle to the end of october" on sunny days, I generate at least as much energy as I use, and with the 2 powerwalls I have, that means that, should I choose to do so, I can go the entire 24 hour period with no grid draw.

Since I still use self powered mode, that means that this "sometime in mid feb" period is one I mentally sort of internally celebrate, as it marks the point in the year that, I pretty much stop drawing from the electrical grid, unless there are a couple of cloudy days in a row or something.

I do get a bit jealous of @h2ofun 's "mini utility" setup, though 🤣

Reactions: h2ofun
Just about 9/10 days ago, I hit the (for me anyway) Magical moment in the year where, on a "normal, sunny day" my PV production covers my daily house usage in its entirety.

From "sometime in mid feb to beginning of march" till " sometime around the middle to the end of october" on sunny days, I generate at least as much energy as I use, and with the 2 powerwalls I have, that means that, should I choose to do so, I can go the entire 24 hour period with no grid draw.

Since I still use self powered mode, that means that this "sometime in mid feb" period is one I mentally sort of internally celebrate, as it marks the point in the year that, I pretty much stop drawing from the electrical grid, unless there are a couple of cloudy days in a row or something.

I do get a bit jealous of @h2ofun 's "mini utility" setup, though 🤣
Curious, why not use TOU? Unless you are a net producer, I’d imagine TOU would be more beneficial to keep your bill closer to zero.

Curious, why not use TOU? Unless you are a net producer, I’d imagine TOU would be more beneficial to keep your bill closer to zero.

Because I am still on NEM 1 and tiered rates. In other words, I am still on the very best plan I could possibly be on, with almost no "non bypassable charges", no TOU 4-9 peak period, etc. I have 3 electrical tiers, and the more I use the higher the teir goes. I am incentivized to use as little from the grid on a monthly basis as possible, but when I use it does not matter.

So, the very best plan someone with solar could be on, basically, but I use the powerwalls as well to keep myself mostly off the electrical grid.

On a yearly basis, I am pretty close to net zero. I am in month 12 of my 12 month period right now, and my bill shows the running true up total for the year. right now I have a true up bill of about $80, but this month (12 of 12) I will generate more than I use, so will be close to zero for the 12 month true up bill.

So, the very best plan someone with solar could be on, basically, but I use the powerwalls as well to keep myself mostly off the electrical grid.
OK. But isn't your buy back on the tiered system too? So to get really great buy back pricing you have to be in Tier 3?

There must be some magical formula based on your extra energy that would indicate the exact tier you should operate in each month.

OK. But isn't your buy back on the tiered system too? So to get really great buy back pricing you have to be in Tier 3?

There must be some magical formula based on your extra energy that would indicate the exact tier you should operate in each month.

I was typing a longer response and realized I was taking this thread even more off topic, lol. I will just reply and say I am in Tier 1, 10 out of 12 months a year, with the exception of Dec and Jan. The tiers are monthly, after balancing "in and out". Thus, I cant really get more than tier 1 payback because to go above tier 1 means I am a net consumer.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Because I am still on NEM 1 and tiered rates. In other words, I am still on the very best plan I could possibly be on, with almost no "non bypassable charges", no TOU 4-9 peak period, etc. I have 3 electrical tiers, and the more I use the higher the teir goes. I am incentivized to use as little from the grid on a monthly basis as possible, but when I use it does not matter.

On a yearly basis, I am pretty close to net zero. I am in month 12 of my 12 month period right now, and my bill shows the running true up total for the year. right now I have a true up bill of about $80, but this month (12 of 12) I will generate more than I use, so will be close to zero for the 12 month true up bill.
Ah makes sense. Boy I wish I had NEM1, those NBCs really add up.

Same problem in UK with Tesla servers being inaccessible yesterday. This is a common event and shows the weakness of a cloud dependant design. It would be so much more robust and versatile if the Powerwall was designed to be controlled locally as a fallback.