Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app cut off on phone screen - Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gnuarm

Model X 100 with 72 amp chargers
I just realized the reason I can't get off-peak charging to work correctly, is because my screen is missing the setting for "Off-peak end time". The bottom of that screen is cut off! WTF? How can this be fixed? Is there a way to scroll the app page (swiping doesn't do it) or to change the zoom?

Charging_Schedule.jpg

been a long time since I had an Android, but maybe your OS font size or screen zoom is too big, and the app can't deal with that?

Yes, that's what I said. The default settings do not allow viewing the bottom of this page and the page does not scroll. I have to use the "small" setting, meaning features are smaller. I already have problems using this phone with the small fonts in the default setting.

Doesn't matter. This part of the app is terminally broken. It simply is not designed to preclude charge during peak times. Maybe I need to share this with my utility company and give back the money they are paying me to charge only at off-peak times.

Reactions: bay74
Not sure why. I have the Samsung 22 Ultra and it fits fine on my screen. Try looking into your screen resolution.

LOL That's funny. What about the resolution? Are you suggesting they made my phone wrong, because the Tesla app won't scroll so I can see the entire page?

As I've said, it doesn't matter, since this feature of the app is broken anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: JssonB
Yeah, the whole schedule functionality is embarrassingly bad. It's indecipherable, redundantly confusing (how does CLIMATE have anything to to with schedule in the car?) What has priority? Charge in the car, climate in the car, or the app?

The whole thing's a disaster.

LOL That's funny. What about the resolution? Are you suggesting they made my phone wrong, because the Tesla app won't scroll so I can see the entire page?

As I've said, it doesn't matter, since this feature of the app is broken anyway.
Glad it made you laugh. Never suggested your phone was broken as mine seems to see it without having to scroll.

I have no problem with this feature as I schedule my charging and departure with no problem. Sounds like user error.
Have a good day.

• Disagree
Glad it made you laugh. Never suggested your phone was broken as mine seems to see it without having to scroll.

I have no problem with this feature as I schedule my charging and departure with no problem. Sounds like user error.
Have a good day.

Yet, I've explained clearly what it can't do. It can't avoid charging during the peak rate time window, if there's no way to indicate the time window. It lets you set the start time, OR the finish time, never both.

Instead, they expect you to initialize the car charging at a time that isn't inside the peak rate window, or estimate the charging start time as controlled by the charge limit.

This may work for you, but it clearly does not work in the general case. It totally fails for users with TWO peak rate time windows.

Today I got the thing to start charging ahead of the peak rate time window, but it didn't stop. I had to do that manually. So it couldn't even handle that simple task, because it isn't programmed to stop charging at the time set for "Off-Peak Charge" time. That time sets the start of charging according to the time it estimates to complete charging by this "Off-Peak Charge" time. If the car starts too late for that, it continues to charge at peak rate times.

As OxBrew said, the whole thing is a disaster.

Hi, I am in the UK but..In US do you have set peak and off peak times? To go back to the OP #1 there is no way to input an off peak end time so you're not missing anything! [Edit. I see I have to switch it on first then it appears]. Our supply companies are starting to introduce tariffs which can control our charge points (evse) directly or for us Tesla drivers they control the car itself. My tariff even adds hours during the day if the grid has excess.

Last edited:
I think the problems are all user expectations vs design parameters. For example, when you set the phone (computers work the same way) text to some larger size, it usually warns you that some apps will not display correctly. It's better to keep the standard size, and use a magnifier, either a physical one, or the one usually available in the accessibility section, that will magnify portions of the screen on demand.

The scheduling app probably doesn't work the way you think it does. I believe it simply tries to have the car charged at the time specified, so it will start at whatever time is required to have it charged at that time, even if it's not the ideal cost. It doesn't try to calculate the cheapest times to charge, but assumes you prioritize having it fully charged at the time you specify.

I personally can't use this method, and no other apps work any better, because I charge from a standard 110 volt AC outlet in my garage, and can't fully charge every night during the cheapest time period (midnight - 3pm). So, I just have it start charging at midnight, and take whatever charge state it reaches the next morning, and make up for it on weekends.

Hi, I am in the UK but..In US do you have set peak and off peak times? To go back to the OP #1 there is no way to input an off peak end time so you're not missing anything! [Edit. I see I have to switch it on first then it appears]. Our supply companies are starting to introduce tariffs which can control our charge points (evse) directly or for us Tesla drivers they control the car itself. My tariff even adds hours during the day if the grid has excess.

I've been playing with this more and it is still dysfunctional, but I understand it properly now.

The charging scheduling is not intended to avoid charging at peak times. It is intended to set a regular schedule for someone with a fixed routine.

1) Scheduled Charging - You can tell the car to start charging at a particular time each day. It will stop charging when the charge limit is reached.

2) Departure Time - You can tell the car when you wish to have it charged fully. The car will pick the time to start charging based on the charge limit, current state of charge and the charging rate of your connection.

3) Off-Peak Charge - You can tell it when "Off-Peak" time ends, which is exactly the same as 2) where that's the time to have the car fully charged.

In neither case, 2 or 3, will the car stop charging if for whatever reason it isn't fully charged by the set time. In no case will the car stop charging at Peak rate time and resume charging at Off-Peak rate time. It could stop at Peak rate time, but has no information on when Off-Peak rate time is.

Many people confuse the charging scheduling with "Charge Stats", the screen which lets you set multiple times and rates. But I'm not sure how this is set up. Some users say it provides three tiers of rates. Mine seems to have rates selected geographically, with each one having a single cost entry. But in any case, it has nothing to do with controlling the charging. No one has been able to tell me how to find the screen with the multiple "tiers", so maybe that's different for different countries?

The scheduling app probably doesn't work the way you think it does. I believe it simply tries to have the car charged at the time specified, so it will start at whatever time is required to have it charged at that time, even if it's not the ideal cost. It doesn't try to calculate the cheapest times to charge, but assumes you prioritize having it fully charged at the time you specify.

This is exactly how I think it works. Some people insist that the car can be programmed to avoid peak rates, but that's only true if you set it to charge, so it will be complete when peak rate starts. The problem is, as in your example, it won't be charged by then. The car has no means of turning off the charging at that point.

Even ignoring the charging from 120V, say I come home at 1 pm, and start the charging, which will take four or five hours. When my peak time starts at 3 pm, the car will continue charging. I could set the controls, by doing some not-so accurate math and figure out where to set the charge limit to correspond to the peak rate start time. But I still have to return after peak rate is over to resume the charging.

Tesla is simply being disingenuous, saying the car can be set to charge at off-peak times. That only works for a small subset of situations, mostly where you don't care if the charging doesn't start until much later.