Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App down (again?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, it happened to me earlier tonight during charging. When I sent to check on the car it just kept spinning. So, I went to the Google play store and downloaded the update. So, go and make sure you have the latest update for the app if it signs you out. Once you get the latest update, open the app back up and sign back in again and you should be fine. I'm guessing it has something to do with the V10 being rolled out and the app being updated at the same time.

Interesting. The app kicked me out and I can't log back in as noted above. However, I went to get something from my car (figured I would need the key card, but decided to try with phone in my pocket anyway). Sure enough, I could still unlock the car with my phone. Can't figure out how this is possible when I can't log back into the app.
You don't need the app to be running for the car to recognize the Bluetooth on your phone.

You don't need the app to be running for the car to recognize the Bluetooth on your phone.
Yep, I understand that. I just figured, I guess incorrectly, that you still had to be logged in to your Tesla app. I remember when the service went down a week or two ago and those that had logged out of their account were unable to access their car.

Edit: The article's I've read (Labor Day App Outage Left Some Tesla Drivers Locked Out) seem to suggest you still needed to be logged in to your account when the service was out in order for phone as a key to work. Which I wasn't as it kicked me out and I was unable to log back in. Unless, or course, the app still thought I was logged in and was giving me an incorrect message.

Last edited:
Yep, I understand that. I just figured, I guess incorrectly, that you still had to be logged in to your Tesla app. I remember when the service went down a week or two ago and those that had logged out of their account were unable to access their car.

Edit: The article's I've read (Labor Day App Outage Left Some Tesla Drivers Locked Out) seem to suggest you still needed to be logged in to your account when the service was out in order for phone as a key to work. Which I wasn't as it kicked me out and I was unable to log back in. Unless, or course, the app still thought I was logged in and was giving me an incorrect message.
Oh. That article is not clear since it includes S and X owners too. I have to see how it works if I close the app.

Oh. That article is not clear since it includes S and X owners too. I have to see how it works if I close the app.
Yeah I noticed that as well. When it happened over the Holiday people were posting that they were locked out of their car in the Model 3 forum . Is the Server for the Tesla mobile app down?, so I assumed it was a 3 they were locked out of, buy maybe not.

Although the posts I glanced at didn't mention if it was a 3 or not. I just logged out of the app and was still able to access my car, so guessing the 3 isn't affected when the server is down, as you said. Good info.