Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App eligible upgrades says FSD...but I have that...I think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going with this. Capable doesn’t mean it currently does.
? Reason ?

I originally thought that based on my own buying experience, but today, my MS R LR with FSD and HW3 states only 'FSD Capability' in the comparable docs that OP has posted.

And at the time I felt it was pretty dodgy of Tesla to allow such ambiguity in their spec's.

I would ignore and not mention anything discussed here other than 'You sold me FSD, I bought based on FSD, this paperwork shows FSD, but my app doesn't. Please get that fixed and make sure my account is correctly configured so there is no chance of me losing the features.'

Yes! This.

The point that hasn’t been explicitly stated is that the used build sheets/Tesla account descriptions do not match the original build sheet the original owner would have received. It’s a database with codes for options and Tesla updates the labels from time to time. Here’s what my Tesla account says for my 2016 P100D, which definitely does not match what the original owner received on purchase:
8CFFD9AA-BB65-481A-9E3D-9D34E86767D3.png

But Tesla’s back end DB shenanigans don’t matter. What matters is what you agreed to purchase based on what they told you prior to completing the deal. It may very well be that the previous owner didn’t pay for FSD and that your car was coded as EAP in the DB and that changed when they changed the label, intentionally or not. If someone caught it prior to purchase and told you that’s a different story.

Still, I don’t think they’re going to fight you in this, it’s super clear cut. Along with the warranty, situations like these are one of the biggest advantages of buying used from Tesla. It’s a totally different story on a third party sale.

I think a big source of the ambiguity in how Tesla words FSD is that FSD is not fully delivered yet. So when you are purchasing FSD, you are really purchasing the capability since some of the feature set is available while other functions are "promised" in future updates.

Regardless, the inconsistency in the language in various places shouldn't matter as it is pretty clear that OP had the FSD option included in their purchase.

SO, I missed an earlier post where someone directed me to my "Glovebox" - I wasn't aware of this before. My virtual window sticker was pretty much the one thing I couldn't previously locate. It very clearly states Full Self Driving Capability and says nothing else about EAP or anything. I've left a message with Tesla and will hopefully get a call back. Seriously, thanks y'all for all the advice.

Capture_window_sticker.png

IMHO FSD upgrade for EAP car should be cheaper than 4000$. It was a discussion on Twitter with Elon (unfair to pay full FSD price for the EAP which is already paid) and Tesla reduced prices for the EAP cars. Recently upgraded my wife's car for 2416 GBP (+tax) (~3000$)

It is a good idea to check with Tesla. Seen some other owners complained that the price was not adjusted for EAP cars...

? Reason ?

I originally thought that based on my own buying experience, but today, my MS R LR with FSD and HW3 states only 'FSD Capability' in the comparable docs that OP has posted.

And at the time I felt it was pretty dodgy of Tesla to allow such ambiguity in their spec's.
I almost immediately after posting updated my post. I did a180 because my car has FSD and it still says full self drive capability.

Reactions: Battpower
I’m going with this.

edit: my car is FSD and when I go to the account it says full self driving capability. OP might have a claim here.

I think the point is one could have an FSD Capable car that actually has FSD or doesn't. I believe this ambiguity was prevalent around the OP was looking / bought, but hopefully not now..... although talking about 'capable' seems to an unnecessary grade! Should be simple. FSD / non -FSD

Last edited:
It very clearly states Full Self Driving Capability and says nothing else about EAP or anything. I've left a message with Tesla and will hopefully get a call back.

Based on the purchase documentation you provided, the car clearly had FSD. Period. "Capability" means FSD, not simply has hardware for or can be upgraded to, etc. It has it. This issue seems to be with the app or possibly FSD being "accidentally" removed. Should be, and hopefully will be, an easy fix/correction for Tesla.

Reactions: captjoemcd
I think the point is one could have an FSD Capable car that actually has FSD or doesn't. I believe this ambiguity was prevalent around the OP was looking / bought, but hopefully not now..... although talking about 'capable' seems to an unnecessary grade! Should be simple. FSD / non -FSD

No. It always was FSD capability on all the legal documents. I know I've had it since 2016.

People are making a mountain out of the word capability which is meaningless.

No. It always was FSD capability on all the legal documents. I know I've had it since 2016.

People are making a mountain out of the word capability which is meaningless.

When I was searching for a car around same time as op, the biggest uncertainty was the merit of getting / paying for FSD compared with getting a car with EAP. I contacted Tesla several times to check the spec of a car that was listed as having 'FSD Capability' . This was prompted by some listings that had two entries in the spec: Full Self Driving Capable and Full Self Driving. For two (CPO) vehicles I was interested in that were listed as FSD Capable I was told they did not have Full Self Driving.

I can't say if this is as Tesla intended, or even reflected what the cars had installed. I can say that on my new car Full Self Driving Capability does relate to my car having FSD.

Spoke with Customer Support first yesterday around noon. They confirmed what I basically already knew, that my car was showing in their system as EAP. But they also told me that there was nothing that they could see at all showing anything about FSD Capability. From what I could gather about our conversation that may be because Customer Support is not able to access any of the saved sales documents in the Glovebox on my page. I explained that every document I ever saw before buying the car said FSD Capability and that it was confirmed FSD at delivery. They directed me to call my dealership. I've spoken with my sales rep Jonathan who is escalating/reaching out to see if it can be fixed. Explained the same things to him. So I'm now just waiting to see what Jonathan hears back. He did say that he had heard of this being an issue before (presumably referring to FSD Capability meaning different things). So, still waiting...

There was a brief period in Tesla's system where EAP was listed as FSD and my account had FSD twice but only in the app purchased section not in formal legal docs. It has always been EAP AND FSD as two separate entries.

I think this is Tesla's mistake and hopefully they do the right thing. They mostly do.

spoken with my sales rep Jonathan who is escalating/reaching out to see if it can be fixed.

That sounds like a good start. a) he is doing something b) to try and fix something that's wrong.

Your paperwork shows FSD Capability. That's what you paid for. Tesla need to fix the mistake. Nothing else matters. Be nice to Jonathan! He is your best chance of getting a successful outcome.

It's also encouraging that you got to talk to real people!

EDIT: Learned from a below comment that this is something that was previously announced. That's on me, I don't follow Twitter that much.

That said....the offer calls it Full Self Driving Capability...which is what is on my sales agreement!

ORIGINAL TEXT (leaving this up instead of deleting just to keep this clear.): So, texted with my rep Jonathan and he is still working on it. In the mean time I just got an email offering FSD at a $1000 discount. I don’t know if this is coincidental to scheduling my service or something that my sales rep worked up. Frankly, I don’t want to pay it. I think I’m being reasonable in believing that this is NOT something I should have to pay for considering, as far as I have known from day one, it’s something I already bought.
CE83A207-C95D-42FE-817D-D00B6263A7D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone know how it's with used cars? I bought mine from a third party, so it never went back to Tesla. It has EAP as it has navigate on autopilot beta (AP2 hardware). The tesla app shows that I have all of the eligible upgrades, but none as purchased. So perhaps, it has FSD and should get the FSD chipset upgrade when available?

Anyone know how it's with used cars? I bought mine from a third party, so it never went back to Tesla. It has EAP as it has navigate on autopilot beta (AP2 hardware). The tesla app shows that I have all of the eligible upgrades, but none as purchased. So perhaps, it has FSD and should get the FSD chipset upgrade when available?

Only way to really know is to schedule for hw3 and see what the service center says.