Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I walked back to the tesla charging which was underground so no reception but had Bluetooth on when I am nearby but thought id try go disconnect the charger port via the app. The next thing you know the app malfunctions says vpn error and click to reload. The next minute it logs itself out without warning ⚠️. Scary as I wasn’t sure if I would be able to get in without internet reception but thankfully the door opened.

Has anyone had scary experiences like this before?

The key side and the app functions work through different networks/comms.

As a key, it uses Bluetooth which is point to point between the car and the phone and should* work regardless of mobile phone signal

The app functions work via the internet and can be flacky if either end has poor internet reception, never had the VPN issue but even with the problem, the key side should still work.

A tip I’ve heard (and must get around to doing) is set up your car as a wireless hotspot and connect the car to it. Once done you don’t need to use it, but if the car can’t get reception directly but your phone can when near to the car, you can turn on the hotspot, the car should connect to the phone hotspot and they then both have internet reception for the app to work. I think this is more a benefit for MS and MX owners who can’t use their phone as a key, M3 and MY owners would presumably just use the phone as a key if set up, but you never know, it might be useful and if it was it would probably save a lot of hassle.

*things go wrong sometimes.