Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App - Face ID (allow face recognition...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I enabled this yesterday. I'm still not sure of it's function in the Tesla app BUT I now know what it does to my iPhone X.

I stuffs the iPhone's Face ID facility. It stopped working directly after I enabled it in the Tesla App. I tried to re set it in the iPhone's settings but it would not go past the first screen where it prompts you to centre your face. I eventually got it to work again by deleting the Tesla app from the phone - then the iPhone Face ID allowed me to set it up again. I then re installed the Tesla app. Of course, then I had to delete the phone key in the car and re set that up, and also re set up the bluetooth in the car.

<sigh>...

Skipping @linux-works comment - not disagreeing - I will say that face id works w/o issue on my phone tesla app 3.10.5 and has for probably the entire time I've had the phone.

Did you ever get it working? Much as I loath it - my response to flakey iOS bs like that is to reboot the phone first vs deleting apps. The tesla app could/should not have been able to foul that up but iOS could have. (I've used those API's before, it's nothing special)

Reactions: focher
Skipping @linux-works comment - not disagreeing - I will say that face id works w/o issue on my phone tesla app 3.10.5 and has for probably the entire time I've had the phone.

Did you ever get it working? Much as I loath it - my response to flakey iOS bs like that is to reboot the phone first vs deleting apps. The tesla app could/should not have been able to foul that up but iOS could have. (I've used those API's before, it's nothing special)

What exactly does that setting do? I have it enabled but opening the app just opens it with no authentication needed.

for those that disagree with my view toward biometrics: the response is simple: you can always reset your password but you cannot reset biometrics. and biometrics do get hacked and users are not any safer with them than with non-fixed attributes as login credentials.

this is not opinion. you CANNOT change your fingerprint or face. this is the flaw in using that as login authentication.

I won't address the subject any more (yay!) but I wanted to just put this there, to balance the 'disagree' vote.

@linux-works There are trade-offs many are willing to make for convenience; if I had to enter my password every time it would piss me off. I practice OCD like behavior keeping my phone safely kept which is my tradeoff for bullet proof security vs daily/hourly annoyances. Besides, worth whatever, if my phone is compromised I can change my passwords remotely

Just my view, everyone can choose their own level. My sister, to my infinite frustration, doesn't even lock her phone. Her call.

for those that disagree with my view toward biometrics: the response is simple: you can always reset your password but you cannot reset biometrics. and biometrics do get hacked and users are not any safer with them than with non-fixed attributes as login credentials.

this is not opinion. you CANNOT change your fingerprint or face. this is the flaw in using that as login authentication.

I won't address the subject any more (yay!) but I wanted to just put this there, to balance the 'disagree' vote.
How is someone going to hack my face. And why would they go through the trouble. Its not like my phone controls nuclear launch codes.

I'm sorry: I normally agree with you but this is just a painfully bad argument. Because you can't change the protection that is quantum levels more secure, that it is a disadvantage? You completely disregard how biometrics, when executed correctly, are insanely difficult to hack. Yes; there are bad implementations fo biometrics, but there are companies (such as Apple) who have figured out how to get it right.

Can't let this go either. You are not the end-all on this: especially when computer security experts completely disagree with you. Don't be so arrogant to believe you have all the answers.

Reactions: focher and Msjulie
I'm not the only one who takes the side of: you can't change your face-id or fingerprint if that info gets out.

this is well known in the security community. there are those that have vested interest in convincing people that biometrics is safe and secure. not all feel that way, not by a long shot.

sorry, I also agree with a lot of what you post, but here, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying I'm an expert; I'm simply relaying a well known concept that is often not discussed outside the security professionals. biometrics are risky and its not disputable that you cannot change your 'password' when its based on your physical attributes.

physical attributes are ONE of the components. you probably remember this from school: something you have, something you know, something you are. a link, from a random search: Three-factor authentication: Something you know, something you have, something you are - Gemalto blog

any one of those is "one factor". two is "two factor". etc. we've all heard about that, and that's what it means.

you are, I think, arguing for one-factor and that one factor is bio. is that correct? lets get that far before I argue further.