Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app - false “rear passenger window down message?”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like someone said, the interesting thing is, you can close the windows from a 3rd party app, but not the native one. I had asked a question on here a couple weeks ago regarding it but got no responses. I’m pretty sure it’s even possible to roll up from native app on the 3/Y, but not 100% sure and I don’t get the reasoning behind being a safety issue. The system has a very conservative anti-pinch safety built it- just try it- doesn’t take much to reverse the window.

Back to the original question, I had the false window open message after I did an update with a window open and it seemed to lose track of its status once closed. Thought I might need to perform the full recalibration, but I first tried a reset from the steering wheel with all windows closed and it fixed its reporting in the app. Like all these gremlins, every situation is probably different, but this one worked for me!

I believe it was “Tessie”. You get a week to play with it then pay a subscription. I despise subscriptions and avoid them wherever possible and this wasn’t a necessary enough feature to justify it for me. If the 3rd party app is doing it, it can’t be anything too exotic, I was almost thinking of teaching myself to build a super simple app or modify the Home Assistant integration so that opens that functionality through the API but it’s pretty low on the priorities right now.

It's a common issue.

From time to time windows need to be recalibrated. Tesla even has the procedure listed in its website.

Just follow the steps listed here and the message should go away.
yes, here are the steps in case people don't want to click the link:

To calibrate a window:
  • Close the door with the affected window.
  • Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  • Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.
  • Use the driver window switch to lower the affected window until it stalls.
  • Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.