Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app lock/unlock car [how does tesla app unlocking the car work?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I bought a Tesla model3 recently and the car comes with 1 month trial premium connectivity.
Once the trial period period expires and if I parked a car where the car is not connected to wifi and has no LTE connectivity ( as the trial period has expired), would I be able to lock the car with my phone app or should I use the key card please?
Presume I can lock/ unlock in this instance as long as my phone and car are connected via Bluetooth?

Welcome to TMC.

The "phone as key" feature on tesla model 3s, Ys and (new S and X vehicles) works by using a specific type of bluetooth connection called "Bluetooth LE". Its different than a "regular" bluetooth connection on your phone, but your phone can do both types of connection. This is why you have to pair the phone with bluetooth, AND then execute the "phone as key" pairing, which are two different workflows.

To answer your question directly, if you setup phone as key, and then go someplace where there is no cell signal, you will not be able to open the tesla app and unlock the car, but your phone as key would still work (it does not work from that "unlock via the app function as I said".

I will explain what I mean with an example. Suppose you have a significant other who drove the car somewhere, then lost their key / wallet. They call you by borrowing someones phone and tell you they are stuck with the car. If the car is in cellular range somewhere, you can open up your tesla app (no matter where you are) and unlock the car, and even start it for them and they can drive home.

If the car is outside of cellular range, however, you will not be able to unlock it remotely, no matter where you are.

If, however, the person was out of range, and lost everything but their phone, and the phone was setup with "phone as key", then they would simply be able to get in and go, regardless of the car not having cell signal or not.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
no LTE connectivity ( as the trial period has expired)
You still get LTE connectivity without Premium Connectivity, so you'll still be able to unlock your car from the app anywhere you have internet.

Here's a similar response I've posted:

Upvote 0
And, so long as we're funning around here..
Say that you or your spouse has a cell phone. And, for the purposes of this argument, you two have a cell phone plan that is (a) unlimited and (b) includes the capability of making the cell phones into a wi-fi hot-spot.
It so happens that a Tesla will happily connect to a cell phone hot-spot. And, once it does so, all the Internet Connectivity one might want will show up. In particular, real-time maps with traffic will work whilst one is driving around in this mode. One can also update the car in this mode, although my experience in trying this results in a dead-slow update rate. And all that business about being to unlock the car remotely (as in the example, above, where the spouse has lost her key card/wallet) would nominally work, although if the spouse is there with her cell phone anyway, an additional wi-fi connection isn't going to make matters worse or better :).
As far as I know, about the only thing one won't get via the hot-spot method of connectivity are the various streaming channels. But, if one has a cell phone present, one can stream anyway, through audio bluetooth from the phone.
Yes, more awkward than Tesla's offering, since one will be toggling the wi-fi hotspot on and off (which isn't hard on both iOS and Android phones I've messed with; it's a swipe from the top corner or top edge and a button push). But cheaper than paying $9.95/month for the enhanced connectivity.
There's a couple of minor points with this approach. If one's phone is on something other than 4G/5G then internet connectivity might be slow enough to make map updates and such problematical. But that would be true with the car, too, if the AT&T LTE connectivity isn't available.
If one's plan isn't unlimited, there's either a cost per bit through the phone or some amount of "free" traffic, above which one gets charged for additional chunks of data. On this last point, cell phones I've worked with can (a) let one see how much traffic they've been using, (b) can warn one when one is approaching a user-set limit, and (c) can stop the traffic just below or at some user-set limit. Rather than, say, finding out the hard way that one has exceeded the limit by getting charged $50 or something on the spot. And.. even those with Unlimited plans can discover that at some GB-level, the internet connectivity will either cease, slow way down, or $$ will occur. But map updates don't use that much data. (Streaming video may, though.)
Second, there exist dedicated wi-fi hot-spot hardware, available from cellular providers, that are vaguely designed to give somebody with a laptop connectivity, no matter where they are. That, too, would work with a Tesla. The per-month connectivity cost of such hardware is cheaper than that of a phone, but I don't know if it competes with that $9.95/month from Tesla.
Your call.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
The mobile app can use Bluetooth to unlock cars that use the phone key feature. This is different from using the phone key. For example, even if your car doesn’t have cellular coverage, the unlock control in the mobile app will still work as long as you‘re within Bluetooth range of the car. For S/X cars that don’t use a phone key, the mobile app needs internet connectivity to the car for the unlock control to work.

As a previous reply indicated, Premium Connectivity doesn’t impact cellular connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
On a completely different thought:
I bought a Tesla model3 recently and the car comes with 1 month trial premium connectivity.
First of all, welcome to Tesla, your Model 3, and this forum…I trust you’ll benefit from the experiences with all 3.

Your actual question has been answered, but your statement above got me thinking. When I ordered my Model 3 (June 30, 2018) I got free lifetime premium connectivity and I’m enjoying it to this day. On the next day July 1, 2018 “lifetime” became a free trial for 1 year. More recently this was further reduced to 3 months. Now you’re saying it is only 1 month. Quite the only-slightly-hidden price increase adding to the other increases.

Liking numbers, I’d love to see Tesla’s conversion rates from free trial to paid service for each of the three time periods: 1 year, 3 months, 1 month. I have no insights to the real numbers, but I’d hazard a guess saying they’re all close. But, since Tesla pays for the cellular services involved in premium connectivity, this is also an excellent way of reducing their “phone bill.”

And again, welcome!

Upvote 0
In particular, real-time maps with traffic will work whilst one is driving around in this mode.
Really? You can get real-time traffic info on the maps over WiFi? The chart on this page doesn't have an asterisk on Live Traffic Visualization, that would indicate that it's available over WiFi with only Standard Connectivity.

As far as I know, about the only thing one won't get via the hot-spot method of connectivity are the various streaming channels.
So Satellite-View Maps work as well?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really? You can get real-time traffic info on the maps over WiFi? The chart on this page doesn't have a asterisk on Live Traffic Visualization, that would indicate that it's available over WiFi with only Standard Connectivity.

So Satellite-View Maps work as well?
Without Premium, you don’t get traffic data visualization, satellite view, or Sentry Mode live camera view, whether or not you’re using WiFi.

• Informative
Reactions: MLXXXp
Upvote 0
All right. After getting hit with all of the above, I finally got smart and went to Tesla and looked it over.
Without Premium connectivity, one gets Standard Connectivity. That's basically wi-fi. What one doesn't get is as below:
  • Live Traffic Visualization
  • Sentry Mode - View Live Camera
  • Satellite View Maps
  • Video Streaming (one would have to pay for the subscription, but one can log onto Netflix and watch stuff, for example). Works over wi-fi hotspots, though.
  • Caraoke. Works over wi-fi hotspots, though.
  • Music Streaming. Works over wi-fi hot-spots, though.
  • Internet Browser. Works over wi-fi hot-spots, though.
So, yeah, with a phone set up with a wi-fi hot spot, the first three items aren't available. The one that would bug me, though, would be traffic-aware routing via maps, and Tesla says this about it, see the link above:
-------------------
Will Standard Connectivity affect in-car maps and routing?
No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization.
------------
So, if there's an accident up ahead and Tesla/Google Maps notices, then one will get routed around the accident if one is on a phone's wi-fi hotspot with Standard Connectivity. (Although I still think that Waze does a slightly better job at this, though.)

My spouse's Model Y has the new-car free 1-year Premium Connectivity, but she's already said that she plans to let that expire when it finishes up. Me, I got a 2018 M3 that I'm paying the $9.95/month with. At some point I might let it lapse for a bit and see how the phone/car integration works.

Upvote 0
On a completely different thought:

First of all, welcome to Tesla, your Model 3, and this forum…I trust you’ll benefit from the experiences with all 3.

Your actual question has been answered, but your statement above got me thinking. When I ordered my Model 3 (June 30, 2018) I got free lifetime premium connectivity and I’m enjoying it to this day. On the next day July 1, 2018 “lifetime” became a free trial for 1 year. More recently this was further reduced to 3 months. Now you’re saying it is only 1 month. Quite the only-slightly-hidden price increase adding to the other increases.

Liking numbers, I’d love to see Tesla’s conversion rates from free trial to paid service for each of the three time periods: 1 year, 3 months, 1 month. I have no insights to the real numbers, but I’d hazard a guess saying they’re all close. But, since Tesla pays for the cellular services involved in premium connectivity, this is also an excellent way of reducing their “phone bill.”

And again, welcome!

I dont know what the conversion rate is, obviously, but I started paying once my 1 year free premium connectivity ran out (I purchased in dec of 2018), and recently converted to the yearly plan. I have no intention of letting it run out, even though I dont commute as much as I used to. Its worth $99 once a year to me, for sure.

My wifes brand new model Y, I subscribed to the yearly plan on that vehicle the night we brought it home. It has a 1 month subscription, but I just subscribed so it would auto bill the year when that 1 month ends.

I understand for some (many?) it may not be worth it, but I like seeing the traffic on the map, and when I am in the office or out and about (as we start getting more "back to normal"), I really enjoy being able to pull up netflix or youtube while waiting outside a doctors office for my mom at an appointment, or having lunch in my car where I work, etc.

Definitely worth it for me, but understand why some others may not feel that way.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
So, if there's an accident up ahead and Tesla/Google Maps notices, then one will get routed around the accident if one is on a phone's wi-fi hotspot with Standard Connectivity.
With only Standard Connectivity, you would still be routed around the accident from real-time traffic info provided over LTE. You don't need a phone WiFi hotspot for this (only the car's LTE). You only need Premium Connectivity to actually see the traffic problems on the map, highlighted using coloured lines.

Upvote 0