Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App multi-factor authentication

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely! I use Microsoft’s Authenticator.

So I recently upgraded my iPhone and was using MS Authentictor. On the new phone the Tesla account didn't transfer and cant figure out how to add it to the authenticator app, I have to keep sending the code to my old phone. I can't figure out how to add the Tesla account to the app on the new phone. I have tried exporting the credentials from the old phone and importing to the new phone...no bueno.

So I recently upgraded my iPhone and was using MS Authentictor. On the new phone the Tesla account didn't transfer and cant figure out how to add it to the authenticator app, I have to keep sending the code to my old phone. I can't figure out how to add the Tesla account to the app on the new phone. I have tried exporting the credentials from the old phone and importing to the new phone...no bueno.

In addition to downloading the app, you have to setup the device in the online Tesla account. If you cannot access your Tesla account (e.g. did not write down the backup codes) you may have to call Tesla. In the future consider setting up Authenticator on both your iPhone and iPad, or two iPhones.

See this on how to move MS Authenticator to a new phone. How to Move Microsoft Authenticator to a New Phone

If that doesn’t work then you need to log into your Tesla account and disable 2FA, then re-enable 2FA and set it up using an Authenticator on your new phone. Same for any other account you were using MS Authenticator for.

Personally I recommend Authy for 2FA codes because it’s easily backed up to your Authy account and accessed from any device that can log into the Authy app or website. Much less hassle when upgrading or changing devices etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Tinkerin and ATPMSD