Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App - multiple cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband has a Tesla account and both of the cars we brought are on his one account. If I want to use the app on my phone for my car, how do I do that? Do I create a new Tesla account or use his account?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Use his account...

That's how we have our S loaded on all of our phones.

We are taking delivery of our Model 3 tomorrow and I am wondering how the phone app works with multiple Tesla's on the same account. Will we have a vehicle selection screen or icon...? I would appreciate input from anyone already experiencing this situation with multiple Tesla's.

We are taking delivery of our Model 3 tomorrow and I am wondering how the phone app works with multiple Tesla's on the same account. Will we have a vehicle selection screen or icon...? I would appreciate input from anyone already experiencing this situation with multiple Tesla's.

There is a vehicle selection screen. Takes a few clicks to switch cars, which can be annoying with a 3 involved that HAS to be up on the app for the phone key to work

The new update from awhile back that added Powerwall makes the app a major pain, too... since if you scroll too far past the end of your cars, it throws you in to the Powerwall status screen, which has all sorts of delays built in, so you are stuck in that screen if you accidentally scroll to it.

I wish there was a way to disable powerwall. I don't have a powerwall, why would I even give a @!#$ if it's in my phone?

Has not been an issue with our 3 Tesla's.

Just toggle between them, make sure that you don't make changes in the cars if someone is driving. I don't want to find out what happens:)

Attachments

• 7E4BAA73-AE18-4B6A-A213-FF6CA06C449E.jpeg
    7E4BAA73-AE18-4B6A-A213-FF6CA06C449E.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 314
Use his account...

That's how we have our S loaded on all of our phones.
I have had a problem with this. Once my wife and I were both using the app at the same time. If I clicked, it logged in, and then she would click and it would log me out. After a few minutes of conflict, the Tesla server locked us both out.
Moral of the story is ask your other to get their own account, then email Tesla and ask them to add the cars to the second account. Now it works great for me.

I have had a problem with this. Once my wife and I were both using the app at the same time. If I clicked, it logged in, and then she would click and it would log me out. After a few minutes of conflict, the Tesla server locked us both out.
Moral of the story is ask your other to get their own account, then email Tesla and ask them to add the cars to the second account. Now it works great for me.
That's very odd... My wife and I share my account and don't have that problem. We're using the Android app and both of us are frequently in it at the same time. Just yesterday, we were at a restaurant and I opened the app to turn on the AC. Seeing me in the app made her wonder how many miles she had left. Rather than ask me (because her m3 is always slow to wake up), she opened the app while I was watching the temperature drop and checked for herself. This sort of thing happens all of the time with us.

The app "remembers" which car you viewed last so it displays her car on her phone and my car on mine.

Also, we don't have to "toggle" between cars using the menu. The option to do it that way exists, but we just swipe the car left or right.

I didn't notice specifically when it changed, but the app doesn't swipe over to a non-existent powerwall anymore either.

We have had 2 Tesla’s one shared account since December 2017 as well. Never had any issues like that...ever. I can have my phone my wife’s phone and iPad open and selecting and viewing simultaneously with no issue. (Tested it early on to see how it worked.)