Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app not available on Play Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems the app isn't available on the Play Store at the moment for some reason? I just got a new phone and realized the Tesla app didn't automatically install. Searching in the Play Store doesn't show the app. Searching on the web I can see the link it should be at, but the listing seems to have been pulled altogether for some reason. Slightly inconvenient, have to use my card!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslamotors.tesla&hl=en_US

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Wow that's surprising. Seeing the same thing on my device, Pixel 2 XL. I was able to install a recent app update last night and still have it installed, but definitely not showing up in the play store any longer.

Wonder if this was something Google did or if Tesla pulled it for some reason?

Seems the app isn't available on the Play Store at the moment for some reason? I just got a new phone and realized the Tesla app didn't automatically install. Searching in the Play Store doesn't show the app. Searching on the web I can see the link it should be at, but the listing seems to have been pulled altogether for some reason. Slightly inconvenient, have to use my card!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslamotors.tesla&hl=en_US

i just did a reverse lookup and the store is saying item not found. most of the time you'll get "this item is no longer available" and the button to download it will be missing. there was likely a permissions violation with the app if it was pulled. google has been changing a lot in the ways of what apps can and can't do and it's crippling for developers.

Just decompiled the APKs and there's not too much different between 3.9.0 and 3.9.1. It's a bit difficult to read, since the code is minified and the diff picks up all of the variable name changes, but as far as I can tell there are only two new sections of code.

One brand-new one that reads:

+ }, {
+ key: "isCnAndroidBuild",
+ value: function() {
+ return "android-production-baidu" === this._launchConfig.remoteNotificationDeviceType || "android-enterprise-baidu" === this._launchConfig.remoteNotificationDeviceType;
+ }

And another that used to check "isIOS" but now seems to be checking "default.isCnAndroidBuild()."

That, and the Baidu Maps SDK seems to be missing from 3.9.1 libraries where it was previously in 3.9.0.

Full diff attached for anyone curious:

Attachments

• gitdiff_3.9.0_3.9.1.txt
    100.2 KB · Views: 70
That, and the Baidu Maps SDK seems to be missing from 3.9.1 libraries where it was previously in 3.9.0.

Maybe this is why they pulled it. Maybe someone screwed up the build and forgot to include those? Weird they didn't revert though. It's been a while since I looked at the Google developer site but I thought there was a way to revert to an old build if you discovered a critical flaw in a newly released build. Seems like they would do that rather than pull the app completely given that it's needed for the key functionality on the Model 3.