Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App not connecting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevin Bohacz

Supporting Member
Is anyone else having a problem connecting to their car via the Tesla App... On my iPhone all I get is a blank screen with a "spinning wheel" that goes round and round and the app never connects. I've seen connection failures before but this one is new for me. It was working a few hours ago.

Last edited:
I had that for a short while this afternoon. Eventually the app opened but, to my surprise, it opened with a loot box (loot box has been gone for a while) and a notice about the return of the referral program. I see Electrek ipublished 2 stories on that in the last hour or so.

The app now looks like it is trying to display something with the black screen and failing. There is now a small 'X' that can be clicked to dismiss the black screen, and this gets me to the normal home screen. This initial black screen with its spinning wheel never goes away. It stayed spinning all night long.

IMG_0343.jpeg

I had that for a short while this afternoon. Eventually the app opened but, to my surprise, it opened with a loot box (loot box has been gone for a while) and a notice about the return of the referral program. I see Electrek ipublished 2 stories on that in the last hour or so.

I got the same today after my Model 3 was delivered yesterday. Opened the app this morning to find news about the Loot box, plus a referral link I could share with anyone in order to get them and myself 1500km of free Supercharging, plus a monthly chance to win either a Founders/Signature edition Model Y or next-gen Roadster.

So is the referral programme back officially then?

Mine has been connecting quite reliably except when I am at home. Until some time this past winter, I could also connect reliably at home, and I frequently did so to preheat or pre-cool the car. (My car is parked outdoors and is the exact same parking space now as it has been for 3-1/2 years, so i do not understand why the connectivity is poorer now than earlier.
I asked the Tesla mobile tech when he came to do the annual service but he did not seem to want to check the antenna(s) for the cellphone signal (or maybe was not equipped to do so).
I doubt that the AT&T signal in my area has gotten weaker, but I have no way to determine that.