Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app not showing home usage when there is solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this New? What does this do for you on top of the usual 4 circles?
I’ve enrolled with Tesla and our utility, National Grid, to have our Powerwalls participate in their Connected Solutions virtual power plant program. Certain times of the day Tesla can control a discharge of our Powerwalls to the grid and compensate us.
The fifth circle shows activity of this program, which Tesla generically calls grid services.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: charlesj
I’ve enrolled with Tesla and our utility, National Grid, to have our Powerwalls participate in their Connected Solutions virtual power plant program. Certain times of the day Tesla can control a discharge of our Powerwalls to the grid and compensate us.
The fifth circle shows activity of this program, which Tesla generically calls grid services.
Do they pay you for that at a good rate?

Do they pay you for that at a good rate?
I think so. And if it get too intrusive you can opt out, otherwise the rates are good for five years. The “events” when they pull from the battery are limited to 5 in the winter (Dec-March) and 60 in the summer (June-Sept). $40 per kw in the winter and $180 per kw in the summer.
Note it’s not kWh, payment is based on the average rate you can provide during the event. An event can be any duration less than three hours, but usually about 2 hours. I’ve had three events this winter and my 3 Powerwalls supplied ~ 10kw for two of those events and ~8kw for the other.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
I think so. And if it get too intrusive you can opt out, otherwise the rates are good for five years. The “events” when they pull from the battery are limited to 5 in the winter (Dec-March) and 60 in the summer (June-Sept). $40 per kw in the winter and $180 per kw in the summer.
Note it’s not kWh, payment is based on the average rate you can provide during the event. An event can be any duration less than three hours, but usually about 2 hours. I’ve had three events this winter and my 3 Powerwalls supplied ~ 10kw for two of those events and ~8kw for the other.

That's ~ $1120 in one winter. That's a damn good return! You will make bank in the summer. Your Powerwalls will pay for themselves within a few years.

Also, if Tesla is paying you this much, imagine how much they are getting paid! Most people don't realize how much money Tesla will make by harnessing their Powerwalls into a virtual power plant. That's like having a decent-sized peaking-ready power plant in every major city. That could make them the richest electric utility in the country.

Also, if Tesla is paying you this much, imagine how much they are getting paid! Most people don't realize how much money Tesla will make by harnessing their Powerwalls into a virtual power plant. That's like having a decent-sized peaking-ready power plant in every major city. That could make them the richest electric utility in the country.
Tesla takes 20% to run the program. Our utility National Grid pays $225/kw summer and $50/kw winter, which then Tesla pays me $180 and $40 respectively.

Since it’s confusing that they do it by average rate in kw per season, think of it this way: if you have one Powerwall and you are able to max out each event during the season with 5kw rate to the grid. Then your average rate at the end of the season is 5kw. Your payment is the 5kw x $40 = $200 for the winter per Powerwall. Summer would be 5kw x $180 = $900. Total per year you could earn per Powerwall is $1100. The program runs for fives years so that might pay for half the Powerwall or more in that period.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
And yes, Tesla is making decent bank off of this since consumers buy the Powerwalls from them. They don’t have much infrastructure cost and make some profit off that sale. Then with some clever software to run their virtual power plant they use the utilities own electricity (yes the Powerwalls in this setup sometimes pre-charge from the grid like storm watch) or “free” solar again from the customer. So Tesla isn’t paying for power to do this.
And the utility pays Tesla like a peaker plant.
Yes I am long on $TSLA. 😁

Possible problem sources:
b) something misconfigured on Tesla's end

It took over a month to resolve, but I'm happy to report that the discrepancies between Tesla's grid usage numbers (from my powerblaster) and my utility's meter numbers have been fixed.

TLDR; Tesla mistakenly registered my powerblaster in their system so the data from it was not being allocated properly.

I first spent a week or so collecting data and experimenting to convince myself that I had a problem worth reporting to Tesla. I then drafted an email with the details including photos of my powerblaster in the breaker box. I called customer service, waited to talk to a person, and then convinced them to give me a direct email address to send my details. After some back and forth, the customer service rep said my issue would be forwarded to tier 2 and that I should wait to hear back from them.

So, I waited.

After not hearing anything for a couple of weeks, I called customer service back. They looked at my file and realized that my case had never actually been forwarded to tier 2. They apologized and said my issue would be forwarded to tier 2 and that I should wait to hear back from them.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that my grid usage numbers changed for all my historical data and that the numbers looked much closer to my utility's numbers. I called customer service today and got confirmation that the problem was a clerical error and that it had been fixed (no one contacted me to tell me that things had been fixed 🤬).

So, I'm happy that things are fixed and that they were fixable remotely - but the process was frustrating.

I also thought it might help others to know that incorrect CT setup isn't the only potential source for data problems.

Now I can go back to obsessing over whether my system will produce enough over time :) .

It took over a month to resolve, but I'm happy to report that the discrepancies between Tesla's grid usage numbers (from my powerblaster) and my utility's meter numbers have been fixed.

TLDR; Tesla mistakenly registered my powerblaster in their system so the data from it was not being allocated properly.

I first spent a week or so collecting data and experimenting to convince myself that I had a problem worth reporting to Tesla. I then drafted an email with the details including photos of my powerblaster in the breaker box. I called customer service, waited to talk to a person, and then convinced them to give me a direct email address to send my details. After some back and forth, the customer service rep said my issue would be forwarded to tier 2 and that I should wait to hear back from them.

So, I waited.

After not hearing anything for a couple of weeks, I called customer service back. They looked at my file and realized that my case had never actually been forwarded to tier 2. They apologized and said my issue would be forwarded to tier 2 and that I should wait to hear back from them.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that my grid usage numbers changed for all my historical data and that the numbers looked much closer to my utility's numbers. I called customer service today and got confirmation that the problem was a clerical error and that it had been fixed (no one contacted me to tell me that things had been fixed 🤬).

So, I'm happy that things are fixed and that they were fixable remotely - but the process was frustrating.

I also thought it might help others to know that incorrect CT setup isn't the only potential source for data problems.

Now I can go back to obsessing over whether my system will produce enough over time :) .
Glad you were able to get this resolved. Was chatting with support again today because I'm seeing "no signal" on my gateway because my inverter is using my neighbor's zigbee gateway instead of mine. This usually isn't a problem as the information is still getting to Tesla and I can see my generation in the Tesla app but somehow this causes the data not to show up in SolarEdge app. But I've digressed. I again asked for the PowerBlaster and they again said it's not available.

Glad you were able to get this resolved. Was chatting with support again today because I'm seeing "no signal" on my gateway because my inverter is using my neighbor's zigbee gateway instead of mine. This usually isn't a problem as the information is still getting to Tesla and I can see my generation in the Tesla app but somehow this causes the data not to show up in SolarEdge app. But I've digressed. I again asked for the PowerBlaster and they again said it's not available.
Another reason I am glad I was able to hard wire both of my inverters and gateways.

perhaps should you have had installed a larger system
Yeah - I didn't have a choice because of net metering rules in my state, but I have wondered if I should have tried to make a case for a larger allocation based on a future EV. The weather in our area was terrible for solar in January and February, but March has been great so far - so I'm trying to remain optimistic about future production.

Yeah - I didn't have a choice because of net metering rules in my state, but I have wondered if I should have tried to make a case for a larger allocation based on a future EV. The weather in our area was terrible for solar in January and February, but March has been great so far - so I'm trying to remain optimistic about future production.
If I put in more solar, that will be one reason is getting ready for 2 new EV's ")

Anyone know if Tesla is still providing the power blaster for solar installation recently?
I'm in San Jose and got my 4.08kW system installed on 3/8 with a SolarEdge inverter, noticed no power blaster installed for grid consumption data.
I called my advisor and he said they are not doing it anymore since last Oct/Nov.. I would really to like one installed for Tesla App monitoring and not refer to any 3rd party ones.

Does the Telsa Inverter contain the necessary hardware to view consumption in Tesla app, or is a “powerblaster” still needed?

I don’t know what type of inverter I’m getting but I have a Tesla solar panel install scheduled for a month from now and doing research to set my expectations.

Does the Telsa Inverter contain the necessary hardware to view consumption in Tesla app, or is a “powerblaster” still needed?

I don’t know what type of inverter I’m getting but I have a Tesla solar panel install scheduled for a month from now and doing research to set my expectations.

From notes people have posted in the thread on the tesla inverter, I believe a powerblaster type device is still needed to see consumption if you are getting solar only (no powerwalls). I dont know if its the actual neurio powerblaster (custom tesla version) they are installing, or something else, but I remember someone stating they had a tesla inverter and tesla had to come back and install something for consumption to show up.

If you are talking about "setting the right expectations", I would say that you should expect to not be able to see your home consumption, unless you are getting powerwalls, or have gotten tesla to agree that you will be able to see home consumption before they come out.

Reactions: DesertSilver
The company no longer makes those but we are installing the Tesla inverter which allow consumption monitoring.
I don't think the PA is correct on that unless is region specific. I just had my install take place about 25 days ago and I have a powerblaster installed, plus received a call to it working with the second Tesla inverter as well (pre PTO). I wish I didn't need one because it sure would make the install a little simpler on the ground.