Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Notifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ICUDoc

May 19, 2015
Sydney NSW
I would like to be able to review all the "Your Tesla started / Stopped charging at xxxxhours with the battery at xxxkms" statements that I receive as notifications. I thought it might be interesting to collate that data over time.
Is it stored anywhere, or once it's gone, it's gone??

I would like to be able to review all the "Your Tesla started / Stopped charging at xxxxhours with the battery at xxxkms" statements that I receive as notifications. I thought it might be interesting to collate that data over time.
Is it stored anywhere, or once it's gone, it's gone??

My my guess is that unless you have an iPad or similar running somewhere in the background that has not been rebooted, the notifications are lost forever....

But then I know as much about computers as I know about.... Well... Let's just say....I don't know much about computers...

VisibleTesla might be your best option for checking charge data. If you’re using a Mac, you’ll need v.0.50.08. Windows & Linux versions also available.

VisibleTesla - Page 174

In VisibleTesla go to File | Export -> Charge data…
Save as Charge data.xls (you need to add .xls to the end of the file name)
Select All (or whatever date range you like)

Open your data with a spreadsheet.

Also you can change the level of detail in Prefs | Advanced | Other | Log Level

I only get them in duplicate...

But I am curious, we know a lot about the API for sending commands to the Tesla, and of actively requesting data from it, is there some way to tell it to push notifications to us somewhere else so that we can use them?

Yes there are also multiple options for this in VisibleTesla. See Notify tab & Prefs tab.

Charging
SOC Hits or Exceeds x%
SOC Falls Below x%
Charge State Becomes x
Detect Charge Anomalies

Geofencing
Car Entered Area
Car Left Area

Other
Speed Hits or Exceeds x
Unlocked Doors
Odometer Passes x
Report Scheduler Events

Yes there are also multiple options for this in VisibleTesla. See Notify tab & Prefs tab.

Charging
SOC Hits or Exceeds x%
SOC Falls Below x%
Charge State Becomes x
Detect Charge Anomalies

Geofencing
Car Entered Area
Car Left Area

Other
Speed Hits or Exceeds x
Unlocked Doors
Odometer Passes x
Report Scheduler Events
Sort of, but I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for. My impression is that VT does this by basically hammering Tesla's servers for updates, whereas I don't think the mobile apps do. I think the mobile apps get a push notification of some form for charging interrupted, alarm, etc. I want to know how to capture those.

Sort of, but I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for. My impression is that VT does this by basically hammering Tesla's servers for updates, whereas I don't think the mobile apps do. I think the mobile apps get a push notification of some form for charging interrupted, alarm, etc. I want to know how to capture those.

You can send commands using OAuth token & vehicle ID though not sure if any command will enable you to capture any push notifications that you're looking for. It's doubtful there's any way to capture them without decryption, presumably also using the OAuth token.

I want to know how to capture those.

iOS Push Notifications originate from Apple's servers and are digitally signed and strongly encrypted. I don't believe there's any way of receiving them other than on the target device - even the iOS Simulator tool used by developers can't receive push notifications. Further, push notifications are not guaranteed to be delivered and a pending notification may be silently replaced if another of the same type is send.

All in all notifications aren't going to be a good candidate for accessing a log. Really would need to Telsa to make the event info available in their API.

iOS Push Notifications originate from Apple's servers and are digitally signed and strongly encrypted. I don't believe there's any way of receiving them other than on the target device - even the iOS Simulator tool used by developers can't receive push notifications. Further, push notifications are not guaranteed to be delivered and a pending notification may be silently replaced if another of the same type is send.

All in all notifications aren't going to be a good candidate for accessing a log. Really would need to Telsa to make the event info available in their API.
These aren't IOS push notifications, they're Tesla App notifications, but I suspect they are originating from Tesla pushing to the app, not from the app itself checking (push vs pull)

Hey, just had a really cool idea....

Wouldn't you love an app feature that allows you to see what the front and rear cameras of the car are looking at in real time?

Had this thought while logging in to my car which was parked in a car park. Wanted to see what was around the car.

Hey, just had a really cool idea....

Wouldn't you love an app feature that allows you to see what the front and rear cameras of the car are looking at in real time?

Had this thought while logging in to my car which was parked in a car park. Wanted to see what was around the car.

If this was a factory option combined with motion detection it would be a great security feature. Or maybe adjustable shock activation might be better? It is possible with a Blackvue 650 & a wifi hotspot setup.

Blackvue Cloud WiFi Feature

Last edited:
neat idea, but not possible with current hardware. The cameras don't integrate in to the systems. Front camera doesn't send any visual signal to the rest of the car, only can-bus messages. rear camera the video goes to the 17" screen, but it's basically sent directly to the display bypassing all processing.

neat idea, but not possible with current hardware. The cameras don't integrate in to the systems. Front camera doesn't send any visual signal to the rest of the car, only can-bus messages. rear camera the video goes to the 17" screen, but it's basically sent directly to the display bypassing all processing.

It must have a degree of integration with the car's systems to be able to overlay the car's projected track on the camera image, surely?

That can't be quite right because with 7.1 they have implemented perpendicular parking which obviously must utilise processing of the image from the reverse camera...

Also with 7.1 the front camera's image is now being processed to determine the difference between cars, motorbikes and trucks. That is a lot of processing done by the camera to just send "can-bus messages" as opposed to the car's CPU processing the raw visual image... I am sure Tesla wouldn't have limited itself so much in the hardware...

It must have a degree of integration with the car's systems to be able to overlay the car's projected track on the camera image, surely?
My understanding is that the video signal is fed through with zero processing and without touching the main processor, and the lines are simply overlaid, the lines don't need to know what the camera sees.

This is actually why several people said that the parking lines would never happen before the update that installed them, it was thought that without the video going through the main processor they couldn't do an overlay, turns out they can, but that's a whole different ballgame from trying to send the video to the app.

- - - Updated - - -

Also with 7.1 the front camera's image is now being processed to determine the difference between cars, motorbikes and trucks. That is a lot of processing done by the camera to just send "can-bus messages" as opposed to the car's CPU processing the raw visual image... I am sure Tesla wouldn't have limited itself so much in the hardware...
The front camera has it's own chip in it running the mobileye software and designed specifically to do all sorts of differentiations. That said, I actually think the different pictures are based on the radar, not the camera.
Other members of this forum have completely taken the car apart and proved what connections go where. There's simply no video feed from the camera.

My understanding is that the video signal is fed through with zero processing and without touching the main processor, and the lines are simply overlaid, the lines don't need to know what the camera sees.

This is actually why several people said that the parking lines would never happen before the update that installed them, it was thought that without the video going through the main processor they couldn't do an overlay, turns out they can, but that's a whole different ballgame from trying to send the video to the app.

- - - Updated - - -

The front camera has it's own chip in it running the mobileye software and designed specifically to do all sorts of differentiations. That said, I actually think the different pictures are based on the radar, not the camera.
Other members of this forum have completely taken the car apart and proved what connections go where. There's simply no video feed from the camera.

If there is no video feed from the reverse camera - then how does the car do a reverse park?

Not a perpendicular park surely... that MUST see the painted image on the floor... Don't you think?
No, it doesn't. People have already reported that it completely ignores the lines and just lines up with the other cars. It's exactly the same as the parallel park feature in that it won't work unless there are other cars on both sides. That's because the ultrasonics need the cars to position it.