Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App now showing Supercharging referral mile expiring date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 1,000 miles of Supercharge is hardly a high-value reward...

Depends on what you pay for electricity. Regardless Tesla continues to show its petty culture and horrid customer service and relations. There never should have been an expiration on these and if there was it should have been a year min. Now with people stuck at home Tesla can't extend them? Great way to say we appreciate your referral. Does not matter if its $10 you do not treat customers poorly and you reinforce referral behavior. Sales and marketing 101, something Tesla remain clueless and foolish about and will until they stop hiring tech people to do CS and marketing.

A 1,000 miles of Supercharge is hardly a high-value reward...

that was literally my point.

They used to offer MUCH more valuable rewards for referrals.

There's folks getting free 2020 Roadsters from 50 referrals (some are getting two from 100 of em)

Now it's just 1k SC miles that expire after 6 months, and another one gets you another 1k and maybe 6 more months.

50k SC miles is a BIT less valuable than a $250,000 supercar :)

Last edited:
1000 miles in CA is worth about $120 converted in real world range on a 3AWD. Not much which makes it exceptionally petty for Tesla to make it expire. Some people may have many referrals as well but the bigger point with a program like this is to INCENT people to refer a product not be petty and cheap but nickel and dime them. Besides many owners do not use SC charging except for seasonal or occasional trips. Companies today that know how to build long-term brand loyalty do this and Tesla thinks they can be lazy and foolish by resting on their present market position which is a loosing game long term.

Reactions: X-pilot
1000 miles in CA is worth about $120 converted in real world range on a 3AWD. Not much which makes it exceptionally petty for Tesla to make it expire

Again this is common for reward programs because as long as it's unused it sits on the accounting books as a liability.

So it's routine for programs to say they expire after X months unless there's further activity- just like Tesla is doing.

For example-
Hotel Points Expiration | Million Mile Secrets

They list 8 major hotel chains... all of them expire without further activity.

Do Delta miles expire? Here's what you need to know

They list 12 airlines- 3/4 of which expire their miles without further activity (one in as little as 3 months).

I guess all of them (but the couple of airline exceptions) are petty too?

. Some people may have many referrals as well but the bigger point with a program like this is to INCENT people to refer a product

But again Tesla no longer has a major need for those referrals- they have more demand than supply.

Hence why they only offer 1000 SC miles now, instead of the far more valuable rewards they used to offer for referrals because it used to be a lot harder to get people to buy their cars without them.

Companies today that know how to build long-term brand loyalty do this and Tesla thinks they can be lazy and foolish by resting on their present market position which is a loosing game long term.

There remains basically 0 real competition to Tesla right now in the quality EV space.

Nobody (except maybe VW, and they continue to flounder in many ways) even has plans on the drawing board to sell as many EVs in a year as Tesla does in a couple of months for at least several more years.

I guess you missed the entire point. Tesla has a *sugar* reputation for CS and support and during a tie when people can't drive they are being petty as they always are. I know how reward programs work I also know Tesla in general loves to take them away. They may not have competition now but they will in time and people will remember. Besides any good marketing person knows that good will gets return business and many die hard Tesla promoters are now more disgruntled than ever. The new economy is where Tesla will need all the sales it can get and good will helps sales that's a proven fact. Tesla never gave me credit at all for two referrals and refused to do so. Regardless of the value I will remember that petty and poor customer service as many others have. The constantly do petty things like last year when they refused to honor rewards to many customers and wiped tier accounts clean. I was in a dealership where a bunch of people were livid about this and no one could give them an answer and the manager basically said they got "screwed". This is ver Tesla" like behavior which I see more often then not and was never the case before. Big picture people. Even insurance companies are offering good will rebates even though people are stil driving.

Reactions: X-pilot
I guess you missed the entire point. Tesla has a *sugar* reputation for CS and support and during a tie when people can't drive they are being petty as they always are

I mean... no?

The 6 month thing has been the published guideline of the program for like a year now.

They're not doing anything different.

Except Elon said he'd actually EXTEND the deadline recently.

How's that petty, exactly?

They may not have competition now but they will in time and people will remember

No, they won't.

Remember how GM and Ford literally chose to kill people because it was cheaper than fixing safety defects?

People still buy their cars by millions.

Remember how VW lied and engaged in systemic fraud to their customers?

People still buy their cars by the millions.

I could go on for quite a while with such examples.

Consumers generally have VERY short memories.

. Besides any good marketing person knows that good will gets return business

Tesla continues to come in #1 in owner customer satisfaction year after year. And by a fairly large margin over most other brands.

Tesla Topped 1st Place in Consumer Reports Owner Satisfaction Survey

They continue- unlike most car brands- to have more demand than they have supply.

So again you seem to be inventing some consequences that aren't actually happening.

Even insurance companies are offering good will rebates even though people are stil driving.

Including Teslas insurance company :)

Reactions: MP3Mike and BEPA400
Knight shade you might as well go bang your head against a wall. Evdrvn is bitter (understandably) that he didn’t get his referral credits and nobody is going to change his opinion.. Everyone gets to choose their own hill to die on!

I mean... no?

The 6 month thing has been the published guideline of the program for like a year now.

They're not doing anything different.

Except Elon said he'd actually EXTEND the deadline recently.

How's that petty, exactly?

No, they won't.

Remember how GM and Ford literally chose to kill people because it was cheaper than fixing safety defects?

People still buy their cars by millions.

Remember how VW lied and engaged in systemic fraud to their customers?

People still buy their cars by the millions.

I could go on for quite a while with such examples.

Consumers generally have VERY short memories.

Tesla continues to come in #1 in owner customer satisfaction year after year. And by a fairly large margin over most other brands.

Tesla Topped 1st Place in Consumer Reports Owner Satisfaction Survey

They continue- unlike most car brands- to have more demand than they have supply.

So again you seem to be inventing some consequences that aren't actually happening.

Including Teslas insurance company :)

Good to know you still have that crystal ball that is always 100% correct about al things Tesla including they will never have competition. My miles expired will Elon reinstate them? I won't hold my breath. Petty is the way they operate in general.

Good to know you still have that crystal ball that is always 100% correct about al things Tesla including they will never have competition.

I mean, I didn't actually say that- but as the previous guy said everyone picks their own hill to die on....

What I actually said was there's basically none NOW, and will be no significant amount of it for at least a couple more years at a minimum, based on the actual plans of other car companies and their production limitations....

(and that's if they manage to execute perfectly- which none of them have yet.... remember VW promised they'd be the LEADER in EVs by 2018- meanwhile Tesla is outselling them in the US like 40 to 1)

Good to know you still have that crystal ball that is always 100% correct about al things Tesla including they will never have competition. My miles expired will Elon reinstate them? I won't hold my breath. Petty is the way they operate in general.
I’m not sure where your opinion that Tesla is being ‘petty’ is coming from. I, too, was unaware that the referral miles expired after a period of time. When I bought my M3 last May they had a special for 5000 miles for me and my friend who referred me. I’ve used a whopping 200 miles of SC since then so I’m gonna lose 4800 come the end of June. I had hoped to be able to use them for a long trip at some point in the future and now that’s gone. But who’s responsible for not knowing their policy that had been published? Us, not Tesla.

I hate to admit it, but Knightshade was spot on with every point he made. Corporations don’t do promotions because they’re ‘generous‘ and they don’t stop them because they’re ‘petty’. They do those things to generate revenue. Period. They have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders and the words ‘generous’ and ‘petty’ don’t factor in. Elon was under no obligation, either legal or moral, to extend the expiration. I’m glad He did, but if I were a shareholder I would have a problem with him just giving an average of $100 or so to each owner just because they’d like it. If he’s gonna cut people a break, I’d like a full refund on my car and still keep it, but I don’t really expect that will happen, either.

Has anyone been successful in asking and getting a little extension on the charging miles, i bought mine in Feb and is i still have over 300 miles left expiring this month. Like most Covid has restricted my travel. Any tips in getting it extended is appreciated.