Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App now showing Supercharging referral mile expiring date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not gonna lie—this is an appalling decision on Tesla's end

... sticking to the previously-published terms of their own offer?

Yeah- terrible.

. If we earned the miles, then we should have the ability to utilize them at our convenience with no expiration date involved. It is especially unethical to enforce this during a time when the majority of people are staying home.

I agree a courtesy extension for the virus would be a nice gesture.

But most hotels and airlines expire their miles/points eventually too. There's pretty significant accounting reasons to do this, so the fact Tesla does isn't at all unusual or surprising.

Last May when I got my 5000 miles, I expected them to last until Decemberish. The fact that they have lasted several months after that has been great.

Yes, I’m sad they are gone.
Yes, I wish I was able to hold them forever until they are used.
Yes, I hope they end up not actually expiring due to a delay or a change in policy.
No, I’m not blaming Tesla if they follow through on May 31.

It was abundantly clear how long they were supposed last and if you are upset that they are finally going away knowing that, then that’s on you, not them. Don’t be that guy.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I have 11 referrals and 34,000 free supercharger miles since I got the car in April 2019.

The last referral was December 22, 2019 and my miles expire December 22, 2022.

I’d read somewhere that each new referral would extend your free miles an additional 6 months. That’s obviously not the case (I was hoping for 11 referrals * 6 month extensions = 66 free months haha

No chance I’d use these in 66 months anyway.

Attachments

• 53EDEEEA-FC23-4CDB-AA22-B50B57E30BDA.png
    53EDEEEA-FC23-4CDB-AA22-B50B57E30BDA.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 58
My 1000 supercharger miles which were down to 902 after my first supercharger visit now has an expiration date in the Loot box of 6/25/2020. My friend picked up his car on 12/24/2019 so figure good for 6 months as stated in the Referral. I believe if you earned more referrals it was to extend your expiration another 6 months for each one if still active but not sure.

Anyway was on a thread here discussing how with the pandemic and staying at home for the majority of us (us since March 9), the miles would likely expire before we got to take the car on trip and I always charge at home anyway unless we were to travel somewhere for a weekend or vacation getaway.

However I see that Electrek is reporting that Elon has agreed to extend our Referral expirations. Not sure how that will work but guess we’ll find out once Tesla is back operational. I think extending the length of the shutdown time would be fair.

Tesla to extend free Supercharging miles from referral program amid pandemic - Electrek

I have 11 referrals and 34,000 free supercharger miles since I got the car in April 2019.

The last referral was December 22, 2019 and my miles expire December 22, 2022.

I’d read somewhere that each new referral would extend your free miles an additional 6 months. That’s obviously not the case (I was hoping for 11 referrals * 6 month extensions = 66 free months haha

No chance I’d use these in 66 months anyway.
At one time, the fine print mentioned each referral extended the deadline by six months, up to a maximum of three years.

Reactions: Nguyenning
I got mine in March 2020 and it expires in only six months... Hardly makes referrals worth it...

Which makes sense- Tesla isn't a "who?" car company anymore- so they deliver significantly less value to Tesla than they did when nobody knew WTF a tesla was or why they might want one.

So there's not much reason for Tesla to offer high-value rewards for them anymore like they used to.

They've already got more demand than they have cars to deliver (or batteries with which to build enough cars for that matter)- so there's no amount of referrals that'd be worth the crazy stuff they used to give away for them.