TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla App now showing Supercharging referral mile expiring date

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by not4antoher, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

... sticking to the previously-published terms of their own offer?

Yeah- terrible.

I agree a courtesy extension for the virus would be a nice gesture.

But most hotels and airlines expire their miles/points eventually too. There's pretty significant accounting reasons to do this, so the fact Tesla does isn't at all unusual or surprising.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. SmoothGB

SmoothGB Member

Last May when I got my 5000 miles, I expected them to last until Decemberish. The fact that they have lasted several months after that has been great.

Yes, I’m sad they are gone.
    Yes, I wish I was able to hold them forever until they are used.
    Yes, I hope they end up not actually expiring due to a delay or a change in policy.
    No, I’m not blaming Tesla if they follow through on May 31.

It was abundantly clear how long they were supposed last and if you are upset that they are finally going away knowing that, then that’s on you, not them. Don’t be that guy.

• Love x 1
  3. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

I have 11 referrals and 34,000 free supercharger miles since I got the car in April 2019.

The last referral was December 22, 2019 and my miles expire December 22, 2022.

I’d read somewhere that each new referral would extend your free miles an additional 6 months. That’s obviously not the case (I was hoping for 11 referrals * 6 month extensions = 66 free months haha

No chance I’d use these in 66 months anyway.

Attached Files:

4. Kirby64

Kirby64 Member

Huh. I only have one referral, but for some reason my credits are listed as expiring in 2022. I got the referral back in 2019. Looks like it's going to be OK for 3 years for me? I'm not going to complain though :)

• Like x 1
  5. EVNation

EVNation Member

Mine are expiring Sept 2020, a year after my second referral.

6. Eagledon

Eagledon Member

I had 1300 of my 2000 on my purchase Sept 2019 expire on 4/16. I had used 700. I had a referral 3/12/2020 that netted me 1000 miles which they did not touch. Having them sid nothing to extend the time on the original.

7. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

My 1000 supercharger miles which were down to 902 after my first supercharger visit now has an expiration date in the Loot box of 6/25/2020. My friend picked up his car on 12/24/2019 so figure good for 6 months as stated in the Referral. I believe if you earned more referrals it was to extend your expiration another 6 months for each one if still active but not sure.

Anyway was on a thread here discussing how with the pandemic and staying at home for the majority of us (us since March 9), the miles would likely expire before we got to take the car on trip and I always charge at home anyway unless we were to travel somewhere for a weekend or vacation getaway.

However I see that Electrek is reporting that Elon has agreed to extend our Referral expirations. Not sure how that will work but guess we’ll find out once Tesla is back operational. I think extending the length of the shutdown time would be fair.

Tesla to extend free Supercharging miles from referral program amid pandemic - Electrek

8. Eagledon

Eagledon Member

A new second referral did NOT extend my original supercharging miles. They expired exactly 6 months after they were first awarded.

9. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

Mine were extended. I bought my car May 2 last year. Got 6 months supercharging 5,000 miles. Referred a friend in August last year. I can now see my miles expire May 31, 2020. So I got a year.

10. not4antoher

not4antoher Member

I got 5,000 miles in May 2019, too. However, the miles expire May 31, 2020 without a second referral

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.40.4

At one time, the fine print mentioned each referral extended the deadline by six months, up to a maximum of three years.

• Like x 1
  12. hmmwv

hmmwv Member

I hope Tesla will extend those for us who can't use the miles due to stay home orders.... but if they don't that's fine too.

• Like x 1
  13. Ferengii

Ferengii Member

Exactly the same situation for me. I hope miles are extended, but am ok without an extension.

• Like x 1
  14. TomT

TomT Technical Maven

I got mine in March 2020 and it expires in only six months... Hardly makes referrals worth it...

15. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Which makes sense- Tesla isn't a "who?" car company anymore- so they deliver significantly less value to Tesla than they did when nobody knew WTF a tesla was or why they might want one.

So there's not much reason for Tesla to offer high-value rewards for them anymore like they used to.

They've already got more demand than they have cars to deliver (or batteries with which to build enough cars for that matter)- so there's no amount of referrals that'd be worth the crazy stuff they used to give away for them.

16. BEPA400

BEPA400 Member

Yup, these will be going down the tube!!

C1EEB129-4F0E-4F85-9909-14F5BCD5DE66.jpeg

17. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

Ah that makes sense. Never saw this fine print myself but it does explain why my miles end in exactly 3 years ha

18. Radlaw

Radlaw Charles

In light of coronavirus and various stay-at-home orders, you would think Tesla would extend, or eliminate, expiring free supercharger miles.

• Disagree x 1
  19. jkdman123

jkdman123 Member

Did you read this thread?

• Like x 1
  20. not4antoher

not4antoher Member

Tesla has extended 1 more month today.
    It is better than nothing. No complaints here.