Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App on Android slower than iOS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I'm running firmware 4.5 on my MS. I recently switched back to Android from iOS. The Tesla app on iOS worked reliably, and connected to the car within a few seconds. I've noticed on android that it can take 20-30 seconds to connect, and in a few cases it hung completely. I've had to kill the app using the task manager and start over. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4. Connectivity on the phone is fine; all other apps and surfing are fast. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm using WiFi, 3G, or LTE.

Anyone else using both platforms? Have you observed similar?

Andrew

Last edited:
Told you you should have gotten a One :p. Actually I often find that I have to back out out of the app and reopen it, then the red Tesla screen opens up and the app opens in 2-3 seconds. The reason for this is it may have still been open, but inactive, from a previous session (where I may have just pressed the home button to get out of the app) and when you reopen the Tesla app you're actually opening that previous inactive session (where you may see it continuously scrolling, but not open). Just my observations.

Its obvious to me that they didn't take quite as much care with the android app.

Using it on my wife's iphone was much better
iphone shows a black roof and my android shows the white one (i have a black roof)
it always takes approx 10-30 seconds to load, and sometimes the map is all messed up and doesn't display

i'm running a galaxy nexus

The android app has a memory bug somewhere. Every time I open the app, I first bring up my recent programs and kill the application. Then, the app opens and connects quickly.

If the app is still running in the background when you try to open it, it just hangs for a long time.

Interesting. I run the app on an iPad and a low end LG phone. Seem to run at the same speed. My car is green and the Android car is green and the charge port ring is illuminated green - car is not charging. The iPad car is black and the charge port ring is dark.

My Galaxy S3 has the same issues. Map screen gets corrupted and has trouble connecting reliably. I have to kill it or reboot. My wife's iPhone works as expected. I hope they are working on fixing the bugs. It is not as if this is an issue on an old Android release or on obscure devices.

I know this thread is from a year ago... but I just got my Model S and have noticed exactly the same thing. Has anyone discovered any solutions to this, other than closing the application and opening it again? Works fine from Apple devices.

2016 and the Android app is still unbelievable slow to connect. Usually I need to kill the app and start it again to connect. Not cool Tesla! Fix it!
I hate how slow the Android app is too, but when you open it, try waiting 5 seconds, pressing the home button, then opening the app again. I've found this to work pretty well (still it's only a workaround). And I never need to close/start up the app again by doing this.

I'm running firmware 4.5 on my MS. I recently switched back to Android from iOS. The Tesla app on iOS worked reliably, and connected to the car within a few seconds. I've noticed on android that it can take 20-30 seconds to connect, and in a few cases it hung completely. I've had to kill the app using the task manager and start over. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4. Connectivity on the phone is fine; all other apps and surfing are fast. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm using WiFi, 3G, or LTE.

Anyone else using both platforms? Have you observed similar?

Andrew
Yes, the Android app has some room for improvement. What you describe has generally been par for the course for me.