Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App on Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same reason Tesla doesn't do Windows or Blackberry. User base too small to make it worth the expense. While there are many Android phones out there, I doubt that user base intersects with Tesla ownership much.

While I don't doubt that's true in the Bay Area and SoCal, it is certainly not the case in Tesla's key markets in Europe and Asio, where Android dominates. It's just a resource prioritization issue. It appears App improvements in general have taken a back seat to Car software improvements.

User base too small to make it worth the expense. While there are many Android phones out there, I doubt that user base intersects with Tesla ownership much.

Missed this comment the first time around.

Android market shows the number of installs at between 10,000 and 50,000.... which is a large percentage of owners even on the low end. iOS store hides that information, so, we'll have to look at something else.....

I think number of ratings on the respective markets is telling in this case. There are something like nearly 5x more ratings on the Android market than the iOS store for their respective Tesla apps. Based on that alone I'd say your assertion is false.

User base too small to make it worth the expense. While there are many Android phones out there, I doubt that user base intersects with Tesla ownership much.

Missed this comment the first time around.

Android market shows the number of installs at between 10,000 and 50,000.... which is a large percentage of owners even on the low end. iOS store hides that information, so, we'll have to look at something else.....

While it's certainly not conclusive in any way, this poll is at least one solid indicator that DriverOne's comment is way off the mark: 2015 Poll for all owners - Android or iPhone?

The poll in the link above, which was only started about ten days ago and already has over 200 responses, shows a roughly even split between Android and iOS.

"Tesla App cannot be reached at this time"
over and over again..

Clearing the App memory (at home) helped, and I saw my car again.

But at work (guest wifi) I get
over and over again..

stuck on the login page, and I can't even get enough time to supply credentials, before I get the next
over and over again..

Did their security / access model change? Are they trying to save us from ourselves on guest networks?

Loopy.

over and over again..

Clearing the App memory (at home) helped, and I saw my car again.

But at work (guest wifi) I get
over and over again..

stuck on the login page, and I can't even get enough time to supply credentials, before I get the next
over and over again..

Did their security / access model change? Are they trying to save us from ourselves on guest networks?

Loopy.

I've had this happen on my tablet all the time. Basically if you launch the app from a device and use it, and then there is an extended period of time without internet access, you rack up these can't connect messages every five minutes or so.

Assuming you had problems while on your guest wifi, your time without connectivity was at least 8hrs at work. With an error every five min; that's 100 messages to acknowledge; which is why they seem they wont go away. For whatever reason, your guest wifi wasn't allowing app connectivity. It could be that wireless isolation was turned on in the access point and both the car and phone were connected to it. Or it could just be your access point only passes http traffic and absolutely nothing else.

You need force quit the app and then you need to clear all the caches under the app info.

Last edited:
So the android app finally had notifications, and they work great if you are looking at the screen, but I can't seem to get them to make any noise. Am I doing something wrong? Or are these notifications really silent?
Mine are also silent and I haven't found a way to assign a sound to them either. I have also noted that in my case at least, I receive two notifications sent at the same time for every event. Don't know why, but assume it's just a bug.