Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App on wifi???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I have a weird issue with my Tesla app. My app will only connect to my car with wifi turned off on my phone (or not around a wifi I'm connected to). This is on any wifi connection. The second I turn wifi off on my phone, it connects fine. Doesn't matter if the car is on wifi or cellular. Doesn't matter if I'm within bluetooth range or not. Anyone seen this before? It has been like this since I got the car, I just have not had time to deal with it

Hi All, I have a weird issue with my Tesla app. My app will only connect to my car with wifi turned off on my phone (or not around a wifi I'm connected to). This is on any wifi connection. The second I turn wifi off on my phone, it connects fine. Doesn't matter if the car is on wifi or cellular. Doesn't matter if I'm within bluetooth range or not. Anyone seen this before? It has been like this since I got the car, I just have not had time to deal with it
Android of iPhone ? Do you have any special phone network setup (such as a VPN)?

The 4.x versions of the Tesla app won't connect if you're using a VPN (I use NordVPN). The 3.x versions did not have this issue. I see the same issue on both my iPhone and iPad.

I'm on Android using the latest 4.2.3-742 app, and I can connect fine using WireGuard vpn. I've got a home server setup, and also subscribe to AzireVPN's servers, and every one that I've used has worked. NordVPN has a WireGuard server now - so maybe try that and see if it works.
I've been using WireGuard since late 2017, and it's been pretty rock solid, especially when traveling to places like China where they TRY to block all VPN access.