Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App open door issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not as dramatic as you but I'm having issues with phone key lately. I would say 10% of the time, the car doesn't unlock, and I need to fumble with the phone for it to reconnect to the car.
I would say it's bluetooth interference maybe.

Do you use an iPhone? By any chance, are you trying to open the car very shortly after locking it (like a couple minutes where you stayed in the vicinity?) I'vs notice that's where it struggles the most

Do you use an iPhone? By any chance, are you trying to open the car very shortly after locking it (like a couple minutes where you stayed in the vicinity?) I'vs notice that's where it struggles the most
That sounds like the existing issue where car won’t unlock say when charging and you don’t wonder far enough away so when you return you get briefly locked out AND are unable to start the car without keycard. Lockout is brief but I always had to revert to getting keycard out to be able to drive within reasonable time frame. Couldn’t use app to ‘start’ car on occasions that I tried but that may have been down to an iffy mobile signal - Fleet Services. It was a regular charge stop for me so happened a few times and coincided with wandering off and returning but not as far as buildings.

Not as dramatic as you but I'm having issues with phone key lately. I would say 10% of the time, the car doesn't unlock, and I need to fumble with the phone for it to reconnect to the car.
I would say it's bluetooth interference maybe.

No its just walking out to the car. Yes have iPhone.

Same issue here on Android. My workaround is to toggle the phone's Bluetooth off and then back on. I agree it's irritating - particularly if it's raining and you're trying to get in quickly! Do please update if you contact support.

Having the exact same issue, twice now have been rejected by the car when going to open the door and had to toggle Bluetooth to let me in. Thought it might just be my phone just needing a restart at first but good to know it's not just me having the issue.

Same issue here on Android. My workaround is to toggle the phone's Bluetooth off and then back on. I agree it's irritating - particularly if it's raining and you're trying to get in quickly! Do please update if you contact support.
On Android you are lucky enough to just be able to hold the phone on the B pillar and use NFC emulation to unlock the car when bluetooth fails.... No joy for iPhones though...

Reactions: M3LR21
I've had lots of issue since the last update. Frunk keeps opening up, car doesn't lock, doesn't open when close by. Spotify stopped working now and again (not app problem). Just lots of problems with the car.

On Android you are lucky enough to just be able to hold the phone on the B pillar and use NFC emulation to unlock the car when bluetooth fails.... No joy for iPhones though...
Agreed. I've done that in the past when the Bluetooth flakes out, and it does get me inside the car quickly so I can retoggle Bluetooth out of the rain. Of course until I do the BT restart , I'lI also have to tap the phone near the cupholders to start the car, and remember that the car won't lock when I walk away

Since the recent update, i seem to need to actually open the app for the Tesla to unlock when i'm near.

Has a setting changed or do i need to do something for this to work again without having to get my phone out and open the app?
I am having the same problem with my Model 3LR. It started happening last month after a software update. I wonder if it has to do with the Safety Recall I got in the mail in November. It says: Certain model year 2021-2022 Model S and Model X, model year 2017-2022 Model 3 and model year 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ("FMVSS") No. 118 "Power operated window, partition and roof panel systems."
On affected vehicles, a closing window may exert more force than is permitted by ("FMVSS") No. 118 by pinching a driver or passenger before retracting. An automatic window reversal system that does not comply may increase the risk of a pinching injury to the occupant.
At no charge to you, Tesla will deploy an OTA firmware update to ensure compliance.
There is a number to call if I believe Tesla has failed or is unable to remedy this defect without charge in a reasonable time Can call 1-888-327-4236 to submit a complaint.
It has been over a month now and so very frustrating. The ONLY door that will open when I get to the car is the driver door. Can't even open the trunk from the monitor. I can press the unlock button on the driver's side when my family needs to open the door on their side.
Getting SO frustrating!!!

I am having the same problem with my Model 3LR. It started happening last month after a software update. I wonder if it has to do with the Safety Recall I got in the mail in November. It says: Certain model year 2021-2022 Model S and Model X, model year 2017-2022 Model 3 and model year 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ("FMVSS") No. 118 "Power operated window, partition and roof panel systems."
On affected vehicles, a closing window may exert more force than is permitted by ("FMVSS") No. 118 by pinching a driver or passenger before retracting. An automatic window reversal system that does not comply may increase the risk of a pinching injury to the occupant.
At no charge to you, Tesla will deploy an OTA firmware update to ensure compliance.
There is a number to call if I believe Tesla has failed or is unable to remedy this defect without charge in a reasonable time Can call 1-888-327-4236 to submit a complaint.
It has been over a month now and so very frustrating. The ONLY door that will open when I get to the car is the driver door. Can't even open the trunk from the monitor. I can press the unlock button on the driver's side when my family needs to open the door on their side.
Getting SO frustrating!!!
There's an option under Locks something like Driver's Door Opening which you may have enabled by accident, I had done so and toggling it to Off resolves this issue.

Reactions: boombap
There's an option under Locks something like Driver's Door Opening which you may have enabled by accident, I had done so and toggling it to Off resolves this issue.
Yep. I did not enable it, so it must have happened with the update a month ago. So I wrote to Tesla support and they said: "From your description, it sounds like you may have Driver Door Unlock Mode enabled, which you can read about here."

I responded:
"Yep. Seems that got enabled and nowhere does it say....
OH, now when you are sitting in the car waiting to pick up your granddaughter, she can't open the passenger door from the outside!!! It doesn't say that in the description, so very frustrating. I had to look up HOW to open her the passenger side door and not have to remove my seat belt and lean over to that door. I found the option to long press the button on my door. But, when I go to my car the FIRST door I open is the passenger door so I can put my backpack on the passenger side.

I disabled Driver Door Unlock mode and picked up my granddaughter and she was able to get in without me having to do anything.
Please let the users know the impact of selecting that option and IF it gets automatically enabled with the update, make that not happen."

Same problem...tired of faffing around with my phone or screen just trying to get in the rear door or open the boot. Eventually, I too found the drivers door lock toggle and disabled it (not that I recall enabling it in the first place) - Result! For now.