Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App opens wrong garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two garage doors. I have setup a "Left" and "Right" homelink. In the car "Left" is set as auto open and close automatically and works great.

But if I use the Tesla app it doesn't give an option and opens the "Right" garage door. How can I control which garage door, or at minimum the door that is set to auto open.

In short, I believe the problem is with location ... for whatever reason it "thinks" the car is closest to the Right door therefore opens it (although it is in the Left spot). There isn't much I can do to try and park any further outside my driveway to make Left "more Left" and Right "more Right" or drive into the wall.

Before you say "remove the Right garage door from homelink" ... first world problem as we have two Teslas and we do want control in the car to open both doors from inside the car for various reasons (cleaning the car, loading/unloading, etc.).

Having the option in the app to control either homelink, or default to the auto open/close homelink would solve the problem.

The solution you're looking for isn't immediately apparent. If, like me, you rarely use this feature you wouldn't even know to look there: Summon. You have to enable it within the Summon sub-menu and then select whatever door you want that car to open. Now, whenever you activate the door from the app for THAT car it will trigger THAT door. I struggled with this years ago since I never even though to check those settings since I never open Summon. They really need to relocate that adjustment to the homelink menu as that makes far more sense for ALL users.

Reactions: chinokie
I have two garage doors. I have setup a "Left" and "Right" homelink. In the car "Left" is set as auto open and close automatically and works great.

But if I use the Tesla app it doesn't give an option and opens the "Right" garage door. How can I control which garage door, or at minimum the door that is set to auto open.

In short, I believe the problem is with location ... for whatever reason it "thinks" the car is closest to the Right door therefore opens it (although it is in the Left spot). There isn't much I can do to try and park any further outside my driveway to make Left "more Left" and Right "more Right" or drive into the wall.

Before you say "remove the Right garage door from homelink" ... first world problem as we have two Teslas and we do want control in the car to open both doors from inside the car for various reasons (cleaning the car, loading/unloading, etc.).

Having the option in the app to control either homelink, or default to the auto open/close homelink would solve the problem.

I have 2 Teslas and 2 garage doors. Each Tesla is assigned to 1 garage door for automation, car 1 for door 1, car 2 for door 2. If I want car 1 to open door 2, I have to manually open door 2 while car 1 still automatically opens and closes door 1 and vice versa.

The solution you're looking for isn't immediately apparent. If, like me, you rarely use this feature you wouldn't even know to look there: Summon. You have to enable it within the Summon sub-menu and then select whatever door you want that car to open. Now, whenever you activate the door from the app for THAT car it will trigger THAT door. I struggled with this years ago since I never even though to check those settings since I never open Summon. They really need to relocate that adjustment to the homelink menu as that makes far more sense for ALL users.

Yes!!! Almost! Works on the FSD car but our new MY doesn't have EAP/FSD [ fool me once ... ] and there is no summon menu under Autopilot.

So although I can still do homelink via the App (on the car with no summon) it does the wrong door.

I am going to try and re-enroll the doors in a different order and see if that changes the default app homelink door.

I have 2 Teslas and 2 garage doors. Each Tesla is assigned to 1 garage door for automation, car 1 for door 1, car 2 for door 2. If I want car 1 to open door 2, I have to manually open door 2 while car 1 still automatically opens and closes door 1 and vice versa.

Yes, that is how I have it setup. Car 1 auto opens/closes door 1. Car 2 auto opens/closes door 2.

Car 1 in the app homelink opens door 1.

Car 2 in the app opens .... door 1.

Yes!!! Almost! Works on the FSD car but our new MY doesn't have EAP/FSD [ fool me once ... ] and there is no summon menu under Autopilot.

So although I can still do homelink via the App (on the car with no summon) it does the wrong door.

I am going to try and re-enroll the doors in a different order and see if that changes the default app homelink door.
We don't have FSD on any of our cars so there has to be another way. I really wish they would make settings more logical in there location. Homelink settings in the Homelink menu, priority Bluetooth device assigned to profiles, etc. They come up with good ideas but regularly implement them poorly.

We don't have FSD on any of our cars so there has to be another way. I really wish they would make settings more logical in there location. Homelink settings in the Homelink menu, priority Bluetooth device assigned to profiles, etc. They come up with good ideas but regularly implement them poorly.

You probably have EAP w/o FSD which has summon. I assume you find that in the Autopilot menu ... This is what AP looks like now ....

Attachments

• 16293362872866411114549384234708.jpg
    16293362872866411114549384234708.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 270
You probably have EAP w/o FSD which has summon. I assume you find that in the Autopilot menu ... This is what AP looks like now ....
Nope, neither. All cars I've owned have been AP1 w/convenience features which is most similar to EAP in the AP2 cars. The point is we don't have FSD & have this option still so there surely must be a way to adjust this in other versions of non-FSD is my point.

Nope, neither. All cars I've owned have been AP1 w/convenience features which is most similar to EAP in the AP2 cars. The point is we don't have FSD & have this option still so there surely must be a way to adjust this in other versions of non-FSD is my point.
Currently, you have to have summon to change the setting. So you have to have paid for EAP or FSD. (On current vehicles in the US EAP isn't an option so you have to buy FSD to get summon.)

Maybe you could buy FSD, change the setting, and then return FSD. (Assuming that re-learning in a different order doesn't help.)

But that is a pretty crappy way to deal with a setting for an option that people had to pay $300 for on their Model 3/Y.

Reactions: dduffey
I’m pretty sure I had Summon when I had an AP1 car. Not Smart Summon, just basic Summon.
Yes - that's why Ostrichsak has the option. On an AP2+ car, you don't even have a Summon button (or the feature, obviously) unless you have EAP or FSD.

In the past, I think the app didn't even show you the homelink button unless you had Summon since you had to go to the summon page to hit the button. So they fixed the one side of things but not the in-car side - the car's decision of what door to open when you use the app still goes through the summon logic so you can only change it if you have the feature.

I took the easy way out - installed Meross Garage door openers.
That way I get notifications if the door is open, it works when the car isn't in range etc etc
Still use the car homelink to open the door on arrival or close on leaving, but everything else is talking to the door opener directly.
For less than $40 each its well worth the investment for us at least.

I wanted to follow up. Deleting the door it was opening and then reading it solved my issue. Now the door that is set to auto open/close now also works in the controls tab in the app.

For those that don't have summon, the app will only control the first door you enroll even if you have the second enrolled device set as auto open/close.

So deleting the first door and re-adding (same name and order in the UI) it changes the logic.

Thanks for the feedback.

I wanted to follow up. Deleting the door it was opening and then reading it solved my issue. Now the door that is set to auto open/close now also works in the controls tab in the app.

For those that don't have summon, the app will only control the first door you enroll even if you have the second enrolled device set as auto open/close.

So deleting the first door and re-adding (same name and order in the UI) it changes the logic.

Thanks for the feedback.
I don't know that programming order rings true - I programmed my garage door first then my gate, and Homelink via app only opens the gate. I'll probably never use this function via the app (I have MyQ instead) but it'd be cool if I can change it to just garage.

Thanks for the feedback.
I had Homelink installed today in the Y and had that problem. DeletIng and re adding solved the issue for me.

How the heck did you figure that out?
I got an update Christmas morning. The new update changed buttons on the screen from stacked to side by side. But it put my L door on the right and my R door on the left. So I reprogramed them. Then the App controlled the wrong door. I could not figure out how to reconfigure the app.

After reading your post I went to the car and my "Use Auto Homelink" was off but configured to the L door. Turned it on, switched doors, turned it off, BAM it works. That is amazing.

Thanks

Reactions: Ostrichsak

Thanks for the feedback.
This worked. I deleted both garage doors on my Tesla. I reconnected the one I wanted the app to control first and the other doors second.

This has always been broken and I don't think it has anything to do with location. It just picks one to open and close at that location (if there are multiple doors there) and there's no way you can control it. Obviously they put as much thought into this as they did the V11 UI. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Patrick66